Kanger pro tank problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy2beMe

Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
South Florida, USA
I think you're not experiencing the spitting because you used ribbon wire and I used round. I have some ribbon arriving within days. I ordered it to improve the duel coils on my GG Ithaka but now that I've been enlightened by your video for these little coil heads with ribbon; it looks like I'll have to build a Protank coil right away as well.

Happy2beMe

Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
South Florida, USA
One last thing I'd like to say about the Protank is: Although it's a superior low budget device because it's easily rebuildable and has a Pyrex tank, one disappointment with it is that it's chrome plated instead of stainless steel (that's a real downer for me), another big disappointment is that we're not given the ability to use our own drip tip (kinda sucks that Kanger does that with their devices).

Last edited:

barabus

Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
phoenix, az
I don't like chrome either and I loathe the shape. I found the tatroe protank replacement @ cigtechs, it's made for the protank bottom and coil I think it's too expensive (and own several) but if you like the shape it solves your problems including the ability to use your own drip tip. With it on my provari mini and the tatroe stand/base it is so substantial and heavy the way I like my pv.

It's the one on top of the evic
20130603_111446.jpg

Attachments

• tatroe.jpg
    tatroe.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I hate to keep being the Debbie downer here but just from what I've read in this thread, as long as I re-wick (a skill I don't have) with wire (a material I wouldn't have if I was rebuilding), keep the tank at least half full which requires topping off more than a cart., and replace every thing except the bottom with a new tank and tip,... then it is perfect right out of the box.

What you are ending up with is a completely different product. It's not even a Pro-Tank any more. It is a Franken-clearo. And people are constantly recommending them to beginners? I think the next person who recommends a Pro to a newbie should get jimmie kicked.

Cavere

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2013
Utah
I bought a protank yesterday. First tank was so so at first but started to get better. The following two tanks constantly have a burnt taste. No matter how low I turn my voltage still tastes burnt. I looked at the wicks and they looked a little darker but probably from the juice?

I don't know the mixture of the juice I have been running but I just bought some 50/50 for this tank and I don't kno what to do. I've heard of flipping the silicone over the wicks but I'm not sure what that does. Insight would be great. I may try removing a wick or changing heads. But I would hate to go through a head in less than 24 hours without that much use.

Any suggestions? It is currently rinsed off an air drying.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I hate to keep being the Debbie downer here but just from what I've read in this thread, as long as I re-wick (a skill I don't have) with wire (a material I wouldn't have if I was rebuilding), keep the tank at least half full which requires topping off more than a cart., and replace every thing except the bottom with a new tank and tip,... then it is perfect right out of the box.

What you are ending up with is a completely different product. It's not even a Pro-Tank any more. It is a Franken-clearo. And people are constantly recommending them to beginners? I think the next person who recommends a Pro to a newbie should get jimmie kicked.

You know what with my 50/50 juice my protank was just fine right out of the box. IT GOT BETTER when I rewicked it but it ran wonderfully after just a fast rinse to clean off manufacturing crap and nothing more.

I have noticed similar problems with mine and have since resorted to leaving it at home (now I take my vivi out for the day). I haven't rewicked one yet but will try soon. I still have a couple of factory wicks. I am intrigued by the SS rebuild. I might have to try that sometime down the road.

Thanks all for the insight to the problem and the great suggestions.

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ

Well, all ya need to do is replace the wick and coil...

That said, i dont like the Protank. It is very nicely built, and with some handy skills you can make it a good vape, but we paid for the tank to be used right out of the box. Having to tinker to get it to vape well should not be a given.

It still has its place in my rotation though because it looks slick on a KTS Storm, doesnt leak like a Genesis and puts out an exceptional amount of vapor. A nice eye catcher, conversation piece or just to p-off smokers by blowing a rain cloud that swallows their smoke.

Depends on your PG/VG ratio. With at least 60% PG I'd recommend NOT removing the wick strands unless you rebuild it with 2.5 mm or thicker wick material.

I vape primarily 60/40 juice and Ive had no issues.....can vape tanks till totally empty. No leaks.

To Clear some things up in the event they are not understood... when in optimal condition, the wicks if you notice leave no spaces for more juice than what can travel through the wick.As stated before if your juice is thick(Thick being over 50% VG), many suggest to remove only 1 wick because this creates a small space for the thicker juices to use in wicking.Now as Red stated, if you went the flavor route then your juice is high in PG which is a thinner base and therefore leaks in a 2-3 wick setup(2 wicks cannot be removed as they are part of the coil-wrap).Now I noticed when the tank gurggles 99.8% of the time if you blow on the mouthpiece like a train whistle...(Not hard though, almost enough to whistle)you will hear a change in the sound of the air that you are blowing in.It should only take a small, sharp breath.What I think this does is pop the small bubble that is at the top of the small interior shaft which in turn seems to clear the airway and stop the gurggling for me everytime.Hope this helps.

A video Worth watching Low Res, High Volts, 3.7V, 5V, VV? Wtf?!! - YouTube

cryptic

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
A2, MI
I was a bit leery of the protank after having various issues with EVODs. I had multiple evods, all from the exact same pack that all worked differently. One worked fine until it was about 1/2 full then started leaking like crazy. Improved that one by adding a few wick strands to it. Another was decent and didn't leak but tasted slightly burnt even at low voltages. Pulled the flavor wicks and it works like a champ until it get really low on juice. Third one works pretty consistently but may leak a little if it gets low. This is all with 50/50 juice. In the end I think they work ok but do need to be tested and adjusted based on how well it's working.

Even with the "issues" I just picked up a protank 2. Running the 2.2ohm at ~3.2-3.6v. Have run a couple tanks through it without a hiccup. The only issue I've had is occasional dry / slightly burnt hits when vaping a lot. Also the taste is a bit muted. Think a re-wick would be beneficial but since it's working pretty well I'm not going to try and improve on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread