Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Protank is a bottom coil clearo, the DCT is a carto-tank.

Different fish...

Do you "twirl" your Nova when the juice gets low? That's a common complaint about top coil devices, and the horizontal twirl rewets the wicks.

Bottom coils don't have that problem, since, well, gravity is a law that's hard to break!

Carto tanks are great - but you do have to make sure you properly set them up to start. And get a tank refilling tool for ease of refilling.

I use and like both. Depends on what juice, what battery. (I also use T3s, Evods and even CE5 styles, which I actually prefer over the Novas - they're a bit lighter on my smaller batteries.)

Jae Lee

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
i got the smoktech pyrex dcc and i have nothing but bad things to say. first, it gurgles way too often. and it's not just moderate gurgle, these are gurgles where you are drinking the juice literally. also, way too little vape on these, not to mention, it's cooler vape than bccs!
fyi, i have the boge f16 cartomizers 1.5ohm 2-holes.

in my experience, evod generally give the best vape for bccs. and protanks are only good for certain juices, probably because it's airy.

hueyduey

Verified Member
May 22, 2013
CA, USA
From my experience I've used cartos, CE Clearomizers, DCT, and Protank. When I first started vaping used Smok LR cartos and that was fine except having to drip every few hrs. I wanted a tank I could fill and use for at least a day. Clearomizers didn't work well with my EGO, so I stopped buying those. That's when I switched to a VV device and a DCT.

The DCT dual-coil didn't produce vapor, dry hits, and flooding. I hated it. So I picked up some Boge LR XL cartos and a carto punch and it works like it should. I go through a carto every 10ml of juice. I could push them further but a new carto just gives a more satisfying vape. DCTs (cartotanks) are tricky to get working properly. But once you find the right carto to use, then it's smooth sailing from there.

On the other hand I also own a Protank. Like others mentioned. It's got an airy draw, and it's a cooler vape. But with thicker juice and removing 1 of the 3 wicks, I get satisfying flavor and vapor, if anything I can taste my juice better than the carto tank. Plus it's a breeze to get going and it's been 10 days and I'm on the same coil. The only downside is it's pretty ugly. The chrome look and huge top gets old.

I say try one for a couple weeks then try the other. Out of simplicity get the Protank. Another suggestion if you have like $40 to spend, skip the DCT and get a glass tank and box of Smok or Boge LR cartos.

ScubaBebe

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
Wetumpka, Alabama, United States
I just got the Tatroe tank. It uses a Protank bottom and replacement head. It fixes the noisy too airy vape. I really liked the Protank and plan to order a blue one soon but this Tatroe tank is awesome!!!!!! LOL I don't really care for the way it looks but the majority of reviews I've seen...... others love the sleek look. There are two styles and you need to order the cap and coils on the page if you don't want to rob your Protank. It's a little pricey compared to the Protank....It is worth it. I will be ordering the other style asap.

Tatroe Tank 3.2ML Grooved

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
just recieved my boge carto's today. I left a hole on one side and put a slit in teh other. installed in the DC tank then primed it a little and let it sit for a half hr. Works amazing on my ego twiste, really really good. the boges seem to sit in it better. so im going to keep the dc tank and stick with the boge f15's

Rodeorat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2013
Guthrie, OK
i got the smoktech pyrex dcc and i have nothing but bad things to say. first, it gurgles way too often. and it's not just moderate gurgle, these are gurgles where you are drinking the juice literally. also, way too little vape on these, not to mention, it's cooler vape than bccs!
fyi, i have the boge f16 cartomizers 1.5ohm 2-holes.

in my experience, evod generally give the best vape for bccs. and protanks are only good for certain juices, probably because it's airy.

Opposite experience for me. I was curious about adding a 2nd hole, so I'm glad you said this. I wont. I'm still using the stock Smok carto, single coil, single hole, and it's spot on for flavor, vapor, and warmth. These are way warmer than the KPT. It's very much like the EVOD for flavor and warmth, but I can get near 6ml in this tank compared to the 1.6 of the EVOD. I've read varying reports about Boge carto, so that may be the problem for ya.

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
Opposite experience for me. I was curious about adding a 2nd hole, so I'm glad you said this. I wont. I'm still using the stock Smok carto, single coil, single hole, and it's spot on for flavor, vapor, and warmth. These are way warmer than the KPT. It's very much like the EVOD for flavor and warmth, but I can get near 6ml in this tank compared to the 1.6 of the EVOD. I've read varying reports about Boge carto, so that may be the problem for ya.

the boge f16 I have in my dc tank is awesome, but I did add a slit in one side to open in up more. hope the other 4 work as good as this one

Proetus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2013
Western Mass
My experiences with the Boge carto's have been great. I buy unpunched and punch them myself and have no issues. I can customize holes for varying juices that i have. 65/35, 50/50 and 100vg. I just got a pack of prepunched smok xl cartos and im not impressed. Will try a different juice in it and see if it was the juice.

dbower

Sep 20, 2012
Santa Fe, NM
I had been using a DCT for about a month before I tried the Protank. I am enjoying the Protank so much more for the flavor and vapor production. The draw is airy, but pretty much negated by the "primer" draw that I take anyway. The DCT is now my back-up and the Protank my everyday tank. Both are heads and tails above a Nova in my opinion just for ease of use and no leaks.

Valkyrie_Freya

Aug 22, 2013
Santee, CA, USA
I love my pro tanks :p getting some EVOds in the mail just mostly for juice tester since you can only put 1.7 MLs in them. But, of course, you have to keep buying the heads. I have found 5 coil heads for 6 bucks (no not from fasttech). I like them because they are easy to clean and replace the wicks. A lot of time I can wash the wick heads under warm water and get the gunk off an use them again when they start to get a burnt taste and no I don't clean and dry burn. I just wash them and let 'em dry.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I realize this is an old thread, but it seems to be still alive, so I'll add my experience which looks to be more varied than some of the other posters. I've used cartotanks as my primary delivery device for way over a year. I preferred them by far to the clearos that were available a year or so ago. A cartotank provides me with the most flavor, and not fussy, they are consistant depending upon the cartomizer you use. The only maintanance a cartotank needs after setup is simply adding more juice to the tank.

Your choice of cartomizer has much more to do with your satisfaction than the tank you use with it. I'm basing this on a decent quality cartotank, not an inexpensive tank under $20. There is a difference between cartomizers. If not happy with one brand, there are two other choices to try. My personal favorite carto are the Ikenvape 510 Fusions and the Ikenvape Platinum in standard resistance. After that I will use a Smoktech single coil. I've never cared for the Boges, but that's just my subjectiveness.

Having said that, I have tried a variety of clearotanks. Vivi Nova, Kanger T's, Kanger Evod and Protanks, Innokin iClear 16 & 30. My favorites are the Innokin 30 and the Protanks. The Innokin 30 is a 2.0 ohm dual coil with 16 wicks (replaceable heads). Flavor production is just a tad shy of a cartotank. I happen to also like the Knucklehead-type drip tip which you can rotate for comfort. These are more of an easy fill-it-and-go system than a cartotank, so if you prefer easy over slightly more flavor, give them a shot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread