Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Have you seen this? Tatroe Tank 3.2ML Grooved

Uses the base and coil from a Protank, but the body is all stainless and you can use your own drip tips. :D

Thinking that would look very sharp sitting on top of my Vamo. :laugh:

That looks like a Vivi Nova top with an all stainless body that uses Protank coils and base (as you said). The center is machined steel? I like the idea of see through center tank bodies, but I use SS cartos all the time so I'm used to not being able to see how much liquid is left.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Guess it's time to try one out! I just have vivi nova as of right now.

Try the Protank. I'm finding that the juices I thought were too harsh on throat hit and irritation are fine in the Protank. Like the Vivi Nova it mutes the flavor slightly but keeps it at a good level, especially for those juices that were a little too in your face.

The more I vape the Protank, the more I'm liking it. It's more about finding which juices I like in the Protank and which I like in the Vivi Nova. Both have their place.

midnight.fairy

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2013
Texas
Try the Protank. I'm finding that the juices I thought were too harsh on throat hit and irritation are fine in the Protank. Like the Vivi Nova it mutes the flavor slightly but keeps it at a good level, especially for those juices that were a little too in your face.

The more I vape the Protank, the more I'm liking it. It's more about finding which juices I like in the Protank and which I like in the Vivi Nova. Both have their place.

Thanks for the info! I was thinking I needed to change my nic level because the throat is definitely too harsh for me. I will definitely order a protank now :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I just swapped from the Vivi Nova a couple of minutes ago because the Vivi needed a refill and the Protank had half a tank of juice left. I've been vaping it at 3.7v to 4.2v and kicked it up to 4.5v. Not bad at all. 4.5v was where the crackling and popping started. It's generally a sign to me that the juice is being atomized efficiently and the taste gets much better at that point. 4.5v on a 2.6 ohm coil is where I'm at right now and it's nice and flavorful and not as cold.

midnight.fairy, I don't know what you are vaping now, but the Vivi Nova and the Protank both mute the flavors and throat hit slightly from the standard carto that most of us also use. With the top coil of the Vivi Nova warmth is felt, but not like a hotboxed cigarette. It's just a little warmer vape. In the Protank, the coil is at the bottom of the tank and the vapor is a little cooler. The stainless steel drip tip adds to the perception of coldness since a plastic tip naturally feels warmer at room temperature.

Last edited:

midnight.fairy

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2013
Texas
I'm just vaping some 18 nic level juice from a local store. I'm sure the cartos are probably better. I'm mostly using my vivi because it was suggested to me at the store I buy from. I don't think they have protanks. I must say the vivi was a big step up from the ce4 tanks I was using. They were only lasting me about a week and a half and the hit and flavor is better on the vivi. I'm still learning and open to any suggestions!

GLBrocks

May 16, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I own both actually. The Kanger is a bottom feeding mod which means you do not have to tip it at all. The Nova is a wicking tank which requires some tipping now and then. That being said, I enjoy both thoroughly and use them both all the time. I tend to put the Nova tank on my Vamo and rock it at 5.2-5.6 volts at 2.9 ohms. The Kanger is 1.9 ohm which I rock on the iTaste MVP at around 3.9-4.2 volts. Both give great taste and throat hit at the right voltage. I have the Nova with the longer wicks in them which go to the bottom of the tank, so wicking is not an issue either way. The Kanger is a brilliant device with great airflow with the vents drilled in the bottom. The Nova is a little stiffer draw when flush mounted. It is really a toss up for me choosing between the two, I do not think you can go wrong with either one at all. I prefer using the Nova simply because of the higher ohm rating I have currently. I hope this was helpful coming from someone who used both tanks.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Someone here suggested removing the silicone seal over the head next to the wicks for better flavor and wicking. I took mine out and the flavor and vapor soared. The only drawback is that once the juice gets really low, there's some gurgling that occurs, probably because air gets to the wicks when you tilt to vape once the juice level is down . Other than that, it makes a huge difference in wicking performance and flavor. I refill when the juice gets to 20% or so.

I put mine back in last night to see if my experience was just coincidental. Within 10 minutes, the wick starvation taste was back. I removed it again and flavor returned. Mine's back out now, probably for good.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Have you seen this? Tatroe Tank 3.2ML Grooved

Uses the base and coil from a Protank, but the body is all stainless and you can use your own drip tips. :D

Thinking that would look very sharp sitting on top of my Vamo. :laugh:

That is sick! Thanks for posting it! I got a BDay coming up!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've experienced plastic taste only from CE style clearomizers and not all of them. The Vivi Nova, Kanger T3 and Protank and all cartomizers don't have any level of plastic taste in my experience. They are all a clean vape, some with more flavor than others, but all good vapes.

Another thing to keep in mind is that for some reason all of the tank type atomizers seem to work better than others with certain juices. I find that where there are variances, I can usually find that one or more of my juices are best in one or the other type of tank. So, don't give up on a trial period with one unless you have experimented with some of your other juices to determine what's good.

I find that my Awesome Vapor RY4 really likes the Protank. I didn't care that much for it in a Boge carto and had quit vaping it. Now it's all gone.

CandyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Austin, TX, USA
candybeauchamp.com
I've been thinking about getting a Protank, but I hear a lot of people complain about them being airy. Opinions? Also, how long do the replaceable coils last?

It did take me a while to get used to the airy draw, but I REALLY like it now. You can also tighten it up by sticking a toothpick in the air holes on the bottom connector and breaking it off. I do that now and then when I want a tighter draw. You can get it back out easily with a pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread