retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Those are really nice looking, but I like seeing how much juice is in the tank...that's the only downside...but they are really sharp looking...

If you drop it, you might break the connection threading on the base, but the tank is still intact. For those that have a constant, ongoing case of the "dropsies" I think not being able to see the fluid level isn't going to be an issue. :laugh:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If you drop it, you might break the connection threading on the base, but the tank is still intact. For those that have a constant, ongoing case of the "dropsies" I think not being able to see the fluid level isn't going to be an issue. :laugh:

I like the fact that you can order piece parts for the Protank. If the threaded connection breaks, you can order another one for $2.
Kanger ProTank Base Replacement

biggestfinsfan

May 16, 2013
york pa
i liked the vivi nova when i first got it, only problem is to inconsistent on giving dry hits everyonce in awhile, although nice warm hit being top coil and easy to fill, but im lovin the protank now after going back and forth from novas to cartos to rdas i havent touched anythng since i got the protank and colors are coming! :) 48bf1e086a6efaa15f2731d6d715e258.image.150x150.jpg

Attachments

• kanger_colors_protank__92322.1369187517.1280.1280.jpg
    kanger_colors_protank__92322.1369187517.1280.1280.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,962

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
I just got my first ProTank, and I like it. I haven't used it enough to determine if it will move the VN out of the #1 position for me, but I doubt it for three reasons:

1. As orson said, it's heavy. When I'm on the go, a VN mini on top of a Twist is light, small and very pocketable. The ProTank on top of the Provari is really heavy.

2. It is much louder than the VN. The tea kettle sound alcari described is right on. I don't care when I'm home, but I'd rather have a quiet vape when others are around.

3. The fixed metal drip tip. I don't use fancy drip tips, but I prefer plastic to metal.

It is good looking, though, and vapes really well. I don't find it to be too airy at all, and mine is bone stock.

I'm replying to my own post just to give an update. I've been using the ProTank almost exclusively the last few days and I'm really liking it. It vapes great, and is not too airy at all. It's a little bit more airy than the Vivi Nova, but not that much. And I'm not noticing the noise as much now either.

It is hassle free (so far) and does not seem to mute the taste of the juice.

I'm a function-over-form guy, but it really does look good on top of my Provari.

I'm giving it a big thumbs up. I'm gonna buy a couple more.

CWayne121

Jun 7, 2013
San Antonio, TX
RBA guy here that got tired of the variables. Bought the protank 2 weeks ago. Wasn't satisfied with the stock atomizer. Made an SS wick for it. Flavor and vapor was dismal. Readjusted, remade about a dozen times and never hit nirvana. Today I tried cotton with simple 4/3 32 kanthal wrap on Vamo at 4v, 1.4 ohm coil. Absolute heaven. This is what it is all about. Draw was too airy stock but tightens with the proper cotton build. I got to say, the protank and its cousins like the evod bcc, are all one needs to reach happy vapping bliss. A little research and trial and error over the past few months have given a formula for an excellent clearo that will withstand all juices and, if not clumsy, will last a very long time, all the while producing more production than one can handle.

I highly recommend the 3 minutes it takes to rebuild with cotton. Set and forget for a week or two. Buy some extra heads off of fastech in the interim and make a half a dozen for quick changes. My opinion only and there are lovers and haters, but i've searched for three years for this vape - protank & cotton got me there.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Never liked top coils--the long wicks that seem to absorb all the eliquid from the tank, the constant tilting and turning, the off taste that never seems to go away. I don't like the proximity of the hot coil to my mouth either.

I like my Kanger BCC clearos very much--T3 (a little too big for me), baby T3, eVod and ProTank. Never had any leaking problems. If they feel to airy, I plug one air hole and that takes care of the problem. I use tank airflow controller on my big batteries with ProTank--works great.

Yes, I wish they came with with removable drip tips--but that's a minor gripe. :)

Last edited:
Just got a mini Vivi nova I have four pro tanks that I purchased and this one was given to me. Differences being #1 weight the Vivi novas are way lighter than the pro tank. 2. Size the mini Vivi is also much smaller. 3 draw the Vivi has a much tighter draw. 4. Temperature of vape Vivi is much warmer 5. Flavor pro tank definitely wins here 6. Material the pro tank is glass which makes it able to handle any kind of juice Vivi is plastic you might get a taste disruption from this as well as it being susceptible to melting and cracking 7 wicking material both use silica wicks the Vivi uses a lot more I'm thinking like 9 1/2 times more 8 price the Vivi is generally a third of the price 9. Rebuilding in my experience the pro tank is easier to rebuild and uses less material making it both cheaper and easier in the long run. 10. Looks I suppose this depends on the device you use and personal taste however I think the pro tank is by far prettier. 11. Drip tips. You can change the Vivi you can't change the pro tank so this is where style goes head to head with cost efficiency ie if you can use it you will probably buy it.12 vapor production if you like a lot of vapor the pro tank smokes the Vivi (pun intended) Conclusion I'll take my pro tank over the Vivi any day but if you work in an environment where you might drop it from great height the Vivi works well enough and is cheap enough you won't cry if it breaks.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
RBA guy here that got tired of the variables. Bought the protank 2 weeks ago. Wasn't satisfied with the stock atomizer. Made an SS wick for it. Flavor and vapor was dismal. Readjusted, remade about a dozen times and never hit nirvana. Today I tried cotton with simple 4/3 32 kanthal wrap on Vamo at 4v, 1.4 ohm coil. Absolute heaven. This is what it is all about. Draw was too airy stock but tightens with the proper cotton build. I got to say, the protank and its cousins like the evod bcc, are all one needs to reach happy vapping bliss. A little research and trial and error over the past few months have given a formula for an excellent clearo that will withstand all juices and, if not clumsy, will last a very long time, all the while producing more production than one can handle.

I highly recommend the 3 minutes it takes to rebuild with cotton. Set and forget for a week or two. Buy some extra heads off of fastech in the interim and make a half a dozen for quick changes. My opinion only and there are lovers and haters, but i've searched for three years for this vape - protank & cotton got me there.

I read some info on cotton wicks just for background information. What I read was a scientific reason for cotton not burning up in a candle. Seems that when you burn a cotton candle wick the first time, it burns at about 406 degrees F. As it burns, candle wax is melted and is wicked up into the burning cotton. That prevents the cotton wick from consuming itself in the fire.

I'm interested in how you prepare a cotton wick for use. Do you saturate it with juice when you install it and let it fend for itself with the heat from the coil? How long does it last vs silica? Does it hold up well in the heat from the coil as long as it doesn't go dry? Just some inquisitive questions for someone who's never used a cotton wick in an ecig.

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
Been using vivi novas for around 6 months and just got my protank. My initial impressions are ... eh . .not so great. The vapor production is good - but the flavor and especially the throat hit is muted compared to the vivi novas.

I've been vaping the same juice on an avid vapor LR Cisco spec 1.8 510, a mini nova with 1.8ohm head and a Protank with 1.8 ohm head. The juice is a DIY - 24mg, 75/25 VG/PG with 10% TFA blueberry extra. The 10% is not an extreme amount of flavoring - would be considered lightly flavored by most commercial juice standards.

Attached to my Smoktech Tele mech mod and fresh battery - What I've noticed is:
Cisco Spec 510 - get a nice blueberry flavor and strong throat hit.

Mini Nova - get a hint of blueberry and a solid throat hit. Throat hit is as good or even better than on the Cisco Spec atty. It's more of a scratchy throat hit, though - wheras the Cisco Spec is more of a "thud" type throat hit.

Protank - no blueberry flavor, no throat hit. Vapor production as good as the Cisco - maybe a bit better than the vivi nova.

I'm getting a hint of dry hit with the protank - so I'll try removing the top wick. So far, I like the build quality and it seems really leak proof but the flavor and throat hit just aren't there for me. I know I can adjust. .so I'm not saying I won't use and like the protank - but I think I prefer a warmer, more intense vape.

Last edited:

Mark Anthony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2013
Scranton, Pa USA
I have both, PT2's and Vivi Nova's..... Although I like both, my favorite is the PT 2!! Here's the biggest reason why... And it is silly but still enough to give the nod to the PT2.... Sometimes the Vivi Nova is a little tough to get a grip on when tearing them down for cleaning. Silly right? They work awesome but that's the reason why the protanks get the nod from me.......:blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread