Kanger Protank - Burning taste... I can't seem to get rid of it. Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
Mine were listed at 2.6 ohms. I'm also beginning to consider some alternatives as I'm finding myself unable to sleep just yet. I've had a great experience with cartomizers so far... It makes me wonder if a cartomizer with a tank would be a better fit for me What do you guys think? I wonder if they would be likely to succumb to the same metallic taste I'm currently dealing with on the protank.... If not that's already a +1. What do you think?

Pazazu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2013
North Carolina
One thing you need to remember about protanks is, you must wash out the tank before you use it. It has some kind of sealant in there and it tastes like burnt poo if you don't wash it out.

Another thing, I would recommend staying within the voltage listed on the protank card that comes with it. If you turn it up high, you'll certainly burn your wick. Once your wick is burned it's going to keep burning more and more.

I know you see a lot of people talking about vaping at higher voltages on you tube and things like that, but they use different devices than a protank. You can get away with going just a little higher than the mark on the card, but it'll still burn your wick a lot faster than the standard. I get plenty of vapor with my protank, 2.2 ohm head at 3.8 volts, and a lot more flavor than a kanger T3.

If you find yourself wanting more vapor than what you get with a protank, then its time to move on to an RBA, or a DCT tank or something other than a protank. You can of course rebuild the protank with different wicks and increase the performance of the protank, but, its not going to last as long or perform as well as an RBA.

Reactions: LeeLee26

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
One thing you need to remember about protanks is, you must wash out the tank before you use it. It has some kind of sealant in there and it tastes like burnt poo if you don't wash it out.

Another thing, I would recommend staying within the voltage listed on the protank card that comes with it. If you turn it up high, you'll certainly burn your wick. Once your wick is burned it's going to keep burning more and more.

I know you see a lot of people talking about vaping at higher voltages on you tube and things like that, but they use different devices than a protank. You can get away with going just a little higher than the mark on the card, but it'll still burn your wick a lot faster than the standard. I get plenty of vapor with my protank, 2.2 ohm head at 3.8 volts, and a lot more flavor than a kanger T3.

If you find yourself wanting more vapor than what you get with a protank, then its time to move on to an RBA, or a DCT tank or something other than a protank. You can of course rebuild the protank with different wicks and increase the performance of the protank, but, its not going to last as long or perform as well as an RBA.

Actually, my Protank puts out more vapor than my dual coil RDA after i rebuilt it. It tops everything else i own in terms of vapor volume basically.

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
Well I called the shop up to ask a few questions before making this afternoon's drive. The individual I spoke to sounded very familiar with everything. He said he personally uses a Kanger Protank as one of his half dozen daily tanks but says it isn't rare to come across an issue like I'm describing. He said it's been one of the most pickiest tanks in terms of liquids, as one liquid will be perfect and the next will be tasting incredibly off and not really that good at all. As somebody who doesn't intend to own a dozen devices, but wants to try two dozen liquids, this is a bit of a concern.

In the same conversation he did suggest trying out the Kanger Evod. A quick Google search reveals that this guy's pricing vs the online availability of the Evod is actually dang close. I was put off a little bit when I searched around and found a user almost right away saying they had a burning taste in their Evod they could not get rid of. Of course, it was followed by 20 other people saying "my Evod is the best thing ever", but oh well.

He also has Vivi Nova tanks in stock as well which I intend to get a closer look at. I also want to take a look at some carto's with a tank. I clearly have no idea what I'm doing, but it'll be a great opportunity to see everything close up and ask some more questions. At this point I have no idea what I'll walk out with. I've heard good and bad about literally every available product that he and I discussed, so I'll have to block out the internet reviews and pick what works worth a damn for me.

While I am somewhat miffed about the burning taste, I'm just not entirely sure that the Protank's draw is for me, which is kind of why I'm somewhat gung ho with just replacing it for now and maybe I'll circle back when I get back from the trip and see if I can do something to spruce it up. Each time I pick up my 808 I think, this is what I want, just in a larger form factor to last substantially longer.

Also, somebody asked me to describe the taste. The taste does indeed seem metallic. It didn't seem rubbery to me though. If you would walk into a room where somebody was recently soldering copper pipes, that's very similar to what I'm getting. The cool part of the menthol I only taste on the exhale, as if I just ate a pack of Winterfresh. I don't actually "taste" anything except the burning when I'm vaping. It seems like more of a punishment than a relaxing night. :p

I'm curious if anybody would have any last-second opinions on Vivi Novas, Kanger Evods, etc in regard to their taste. I want to avoid this taste at all costs. I cannot put that into words enough. Sure, whatever I get, I'll wash it and take all of those necessary steps, but like I said I want something that will taste good with minimal maintenance. I don't want to have to rebuild wicks out of the box to get it to work halfway decent. A less airy draw is always a bonus as well. Any ideas? Thanks for all of the insight so far!

317Vapers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Indiana
www.youtube.com
I get really dry funky tastes for about 3-4 hits after I fill up everytime. I have to tap the tank (right side up) against my palm to get the air bubbles out or it will have a vapor lock until I do this. Then after that its good tasting till its time to refill again. Might try this since its easy and free

mjrhartley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2013
Sierra Madre, CA, USA
I use ProTanks exclusively, and I have only ever experienced this problem one time... but it was pretty bad. Basically, for the sake of brevity, whenever I use a new tank or head (I have 5 ProTanks now) I put the juice in the tank and then let it sit upright on the counter for about 30 minutes minimum before I use it, just to make sure the wick gets a good soak. I'm pretty sure that when I got the burnt taste it was because I put some juice in, then immediately vaped, and I'm fairly certain I was just vaping burnt coil. By following the "30 minute protocol" I have yet to experience this issue again.

tralou

May 11, 2013
Southwest, PA, USA
I just couldn't my protank to work for me the way others seemed to have it working. I got an evod to try it out, since they're inexpensive. I ended up happy with it and bought 2 more. Hopefully you can get the protank working for you. I'm probably going to give the protank another go once my daughter is back to college in the fall.

Reactions: LeeLee26

nonliteral

Verified Member
May 16, 2013
Dallas
I've got a couple of juices that give me terrible problems with burnt tastes in the Protanks - it seems to have a lot to do with the viscosity of the juice (these are high VG juices), and the Protank not drawing in enough air to replace the juice as it's vaped.

A couple of things I've tried that seem to help a lot are reversing the rubber gasket on the top of the head, and (after tightening the base down on the mod) loosening the tank on the base a bit to keep the juice from "vapor locking".

After this, if I still get the occasional "burnt" hit, as soon as it happens I'll remove the tank from the mod, open it up, close it back up and re-mount it as above; this "burping" of the tank seems to solve the problem for awhile before it happens again...

pcie

May 30, 2013
Central NJ
When I got my protank a month ago it worked great. Then about four days later I experienced the burning taste. I wasn't paying attention and vaped the tank dry. It was one of the worst tastes I've ever experienced, ever light an analog backwards? Yeah, the taste is right up there. Refilled the tank and the taste would NOT go away. I figured I had burnt the wick and decided to replace the head. Then about two days later the same thing happened to the replacement, only this time the tank wasn't vaped dry. I had no idea why this was happening. I grabbed 5 new heads off of ebay (haven't gotten into rebuilding yet) and used my T3's for the next couple of weeks. Then I decided to take a look at the coils of the foul tasting heads and they both had a bunch of hard black stuff stuck between the coils and on the wick. I only vaped MBV Boysenberry and Hawk Sauce in the protank, and I'm wondering if this is somehow the culprit. I don't have a VW device, but I do have a VV device, I just manually measure the resistance of the coil with a meter. When I started, the heads were at 2.0 ohms, I vaped them at 4.0V - 4.2V as that is what tasted best to me. That's only 8 watts or so, but since my device isn't constantly measuring the resistance I'm wondering if somehow the resistance is getting lower over time and causing the burning. I guess I should measure the resistance again. But other then replacing the head, I haven't found a way to fix the taste once it happens.

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
I just couldn't my protank to work for me the way others seemed to have it working. I got an evod to try it out, since they're inexpensive. I ended up happy with it and bought 2 more. Hopefully you can get the protank working for you. I'm probably going to give the protank another go once my daughter is back to college in the fall.

Thanks for your insight. I'm glad to hear that you had success with the evod. Have you EVER had a burning taste with that evod? They're cheap at this shop so I may give it a shot.

In other news, when I left this morning I left my protank sitting upright... So its been upright for hours. I'll give it one last chance when I get home, but I'll likely go to the shop regardless due to wanting other juice and to try an evod....

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
I went to the shop last night and ended up picking up the evod as well as a Vivi nova tank just for trial and comparison. I have yet to try the nova, but so far the evod is very nice. It does not have the as much of an airy draw to it which I'm learning to like more. The tank is not Pyrex and it is a bit smaller, but so far I am liking it a bit more. No burning taste whatsoever, however I am not using the same liquid. Tonight my 808 battery died in the car so I used the same relatively new cartomizer on my 808 pass thru. It was the first time using the pass thru. I tasted a burning flavor there on the pass thru as well and that was using the same menthol liquid. I'm beginning to think it may be a few things in the mix causing this issue. I'm going to drain the protank and leave it in distilled water. I'm going to order new heads and try again and see how things go. So anyway, so far the evod is very nice and I'm really enjoying it. I'm going to give other protank another shot and try again.

The shop owner I spoke to was extremely helpful and full of information and insight. He likes his protank a lot but admitted to it being fussy at times, to which a new head and thorough cleaning fixed it in those scenarios. He showed me how the protank gets liquid and whatnot and showed me his when taken apart. When you take the tank apart there's a little cup which his was sopping with fluid. I have never seen mine get like that, which may be directly related to the burning taste I am receiving. Maybe its the fluid? That one cartomizer had developed a burning taste too, but that was admittedly the first time I used that pass thru so who knows. Maybe its the head? Maybe something with this particular head isn't letting enough fluid down to do what I need? We'll find out soon enough when I get new heads in armed with new information.

Only three questions remain...

Since I am leaving for a few days, is it acceptable to let the protank in distilled water until I get back?

Since I am now using a plastic tank, what juices should I avoid? So far I've heard red bull and cinnamon... Any others?

Is 3.6v acceptable with my setup? Vamo v2 and currently kanger evod, but could be protank or Vivi nova into the future. Is there a max voltage I should avoid in these scenarios?

Thanks everybody!

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
Thanks for the insight guys. I got around to trying the Vivi Nova. I must say, that thing has been very frustrating. On about 9 out of the 10 times I rinsed it out and started over at some point it begins to leak. I'm not entirely sure "where" but out of no where I begin getting driblets of the liquid spurting up through the center tube. I triple check it each time I put it together. It's always on tight, but it's just been kind of blah. The actual draw is quite nice, a bit less airy than the Kanger Evod. Speaking of the Kanger Evod, it has been extremely problem free. It's easy to fill even though it's a smaller tank. So far, it'll absolutely be my main choice.

Currently the Kanger Protank along with the heads are sitting in a gallon of distilled water. I dry-burned them before I put them in. I'm relatively pessimistic that it's going to make a difference. but I'll order some other heads to give it another shot. As I mentioned earlier, the guy I spoke to at the shop said he had some fussy issues with the Protank, and swapping out the heads was the only fix. Granted, I DID have another head and it acted absolutely identical, so I'm a little hesitant to show any confidence on the "replace the head and it'll be fine" front. I sure hope it works though... the Protank is quite a nice piece.

Another interesting note is I was doing some Googling about the iClear 30 clearomizer. A user posted here a month ago complaining of continual issues, which immediately struck it off of my list. They did however say that they figured out their terrible taste was coming from their menthol juice they were using, however they still had awful leaking issues. Crossing my fingers that by morning with a fill of this cherry liquid things will be different.

So as of now, super disappointed in the Vivi Nova. Lots of inconsistency in performance and random liquid popping up the center tube. No idea. Kanger Evod, gosh I love that thing. Solid piece, tons of vapor and great taste. And, it's cheap! The only -1 to the Evod is the material the tank is made out of, which makes me a little meh with flavor trials as I don't like the idea of having to mold my choices around what the tank can handle. The Protank would solve that, pending that I could get decent flavor out of it. But hey, here's to some good luck in the morning after the 6 hour distilled soak. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread