Kanger protank - disappointed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akurei2000

Apr 14, 2013
Uk
Just bought a protank and I have to say I am unimpressed. Really airy draw and hardly any flavour. Used both coils with same results, wrecked one by removing the "flavour wicks" and just can't get on with it. Am I doing something wrong?

Help!!

If I can't get to grips with it, can I sell it on here, or post a link to eBay auction or is that against rules?

Any help appreciated - gutted because its a lovely looking piece of kit!

corey5188

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2013
Liberty, MO
Dont sell it just yet!

Try plugging some of the air holes to help the draw. I took a piece of teflon tape, cut a strip off about 2mm wide and 3/4 inch long, and then wrapped it around all the air holes sealing them shut. Then took a safety pin and pushed it through 2 of the holes. Its draw is perfect for me now.

As for flavor, I am getting great flavor out of it with just one of the flavor wicks removed. I didnt try it with them in since everyone talked about doing that, so I did it from the start. But you may be getting less flavor solely cause the draw is so airy and you are thus getting a lower vapor/air ratio. Try this method and then see how you like it...

Akurei2000

Apr 14, 2013
Uk
I've tried blocking air holes as well as removing flavour wicks but just not getting any satisfaction. Bit miffed that a £17 unit performs worse than clearos almost 1/3 the price. Moving back to evod units now, is it worth trying the evod base in the protank? Heard people saying that can work.

Do I have to mod the evod base at all? As it has a smaller Center post.

Thanks guys, really want to like it but just can't get any 'satisfaction'

bckane

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2013
miramar Fl
I had the same problem, all I did was cut a piece of plastic with a hole in the center. Place on the bottom of the tank before screwing on your device. Problem fixed.....BTW Taste is great, better then my viva nova
holes.jpg

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I was disappointed as well. I almost exclusively use glass carto tanks and was looking forward to the "plug and play" aspect of the Protank. In addition to the airy draw, mine leaks more than it should and, as I have posted on other threads, it doesn't perform well when the glass is cold. That said, I've gotten used to it. For me, it takes about as much fiddling as a Stardust, but it is glass. It also doesn't seem as flavorful as my carto tanks, but I don't have to prime cartos.

I had ordered two more and was disappointed enough with the first one to cancel the order, but have since acquired a second. The new one is just as airy, but hasn't leaked so far. I restricted the airflow on the first one, but it seemed to make it leak more. (I've been told the design is airy on purpose, so it won't leak, but I don't know if that's true.) I used a band aid, by the way, which actually worked quite well, since it has tiny holes that still let air in. I haven't tried restricting the airflow on the second one.

Other people have had different experiences, but for me: it gets points for being glass and ease of use; it loses points for airiness, leaking and loss of flavor. Overall, I think it's okay, but not the greatest. I also would not recommend it for new vapers, since if a person hasn't dealt with leaking onto the battery connection, occasionally getting a mouthful of juice and an airy draw with other devices they may get frustrated.

ETA: As long as we're posting "How I blocked the airflow" pictures :lol:

protankonpro.jpg

Last edited:

LazyBulldogge

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2013
Kalundborg, Denmark
The airy draw I can deal with, but the loud noise it makes, is getting nearer and nearer to being a dealbreaker, every time I use it.
Haven't had many leaking issues, apart from when going from cold to hot, causing pressure to increase in the tank, spitting liquid into the coil, up the airtube and down onto the battery connector.
Such a shame, 'cause I really want to like this beautiful clearo (heck, I even made a thread about wanting to love it). Beautiful design, nice build quality, no tilt'n'whirl required. Easy to rebuild coils for as well.
But then I fill a Vivi Nova, keep on the lower wattage, just the way they like it, and enjoy a nice, warm, flavorful vape, without waking the neighbors on each draw, due to the sound. Sure, the vapor clouds are not as big as with the Protank, but hey, that's just visual after all...

Akurei2000

Apr 14, 2013
Uk
Blocked holes, draw is much better but still getting a very weak flavour. Using a subtle juice at moment, but surprised flavour doesn't come through as its fine in an evod.

Might not sell, maybe hang on to it just because it looks so nice, might be better with stronger juices perhaps.

Has anyone used the evod atomisers? Does that help? Might be worth a try tomorrow I guess.

Thanks for all the feedback, still keen to like this unit as some obviously think its great, still to be convinced.....

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
I don't think I would want to buy something that you have to put a toothpick in, or band-aid around in order for it to function as designed. Although I like the "work arounds."

That's what I meant about not recommending it for new vapers. Since I have to use glass or polypro (and don't want to use a metal vivi nova), it's one of very few "clearo" options. I may order Atomic Cinnacide to see how much of that I can taste.

Akurei2000

Apr 14, 2013
Uk
@OP, what battery device are you using? This will not account for the airiness, but may for the lack of flavor.

- Andy . . . Challenge the day.

Hi, I'm using an ego twist, just about taste vape at about 4v, but gets burnt taste above 4.4v

It's not awful, and I like the decent vapour production, but can't live without the taste.

Tried loads of juices And finally managed to settle on 2 I like for an all day vape.

Can't believe I thought I'd save money quitting smoking! Must have spent more on flavours and different clearos/tanks to find out my first choices were best! Lol that's life I guess. Now the fiancée is into it as well I'm gonna have to reign in the spends!

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Hi, I'm using an ego twist, just about taste vape at about 4v, but gets burnt taste above 4.4v...

I should have mentioned that too. While not really a "con," I was surprised. The booklet that with it has power setting recommendations, which I thought were low, but Kanger knows their product. I can't get it over 6.5w +/- without a burnt taste.

Lafingriot

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
Kempton, PA
I love my pro tank, works great for me but then I like heavy vg juice. As for the noise mine is usually very quite but it does make more noise at 4.6v than 4. I've also read that blocking the air holes makes it louder thou I haven't tried it

The flavor was muted a little bit the first tank but got so much stronger on the second and third tank, so give it a little time

corey5188

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2013
Liberty, MO
I agree with you having to wait a while for the flavor to come out. The first day I got it, it vaped great and tasted fine, but day two was better, and day three even better! I have a vivi nova mini, I started with that. In just a few weeks time I have learned so much about this, had cartos, cartotanks, drip atty, and these two clearos. I love how easy clearos are to use. I love being able to just fill it up when it gets low and continue vaping. I love being able to rebuild the heads for pennies, and its actually fun (im an electrical component nerd).

That being said, I havent gotten the burnt flavor you guys are talking about. I am vaping at 4.6v on a stock coil right now, gumby blood, and its great tasting. As was the cinnamon roll from MBV. The flavor is great, better than my vivi nova was. With that clearo, you constantly had to do the tilt'n'whirl to keep from getting that burnt taste. I havent had a burnt hit yet. And from what I have heard, rebuilding the heads with cheesecloth (cotton) is supposed to really bring out the flavor. So I am waiting for mine to get here to try that out.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes though... part of this great hobby...

Edit: I haven't had any leaking yet, except through the mouth piece when filling. I learned a way around that quickly, I just plug a q-tip into mouth piece while I fill it, and then once I start to put the bottom part back on I just slip it out. I have had what looks more like condensation on my mod where it connects to the battery, but still, no leaking of actual juice. I have two out of the four holes plugged and the draw is no longer airy and it brought out the flavor. I too have heard that the evod heads allow for a tighter draw, but I have also heard some people saying it made theirs leak through the battery connection.

Last edited:

legaldisaster

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2013
Maryland
I find myself on the loving the Protank side of the fence here. I loved my Vivi Novas but after using my protanks exclusively for the past 3 days I have grown to like the airy draw, and found the tight draws on my vivis and vapeonly tanks unappealing, but that's just my personal opinion. On the first day I tried the same flavor in a new protank compared to a vivi tank, which was only used for that one flavor, and got better tasting juice from the protank. Again that's just my opinion.

I also haven't had any problems from them, no leaking, no liquid in my mouth, no gurgling on a low tank and I definitely haven't seen any leaking on my battery connection, nothing significant at least, though i do Q-tip it nearly every time I swap tanks. It does make the liquid pop loud as hell though. I'd recommend it to others, easy to use, relatively inexpensive, and so far doesn't seem to be problematic, seems perfect for a noob vapor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread