Kanger protank - disappointed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

carldamnit

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
East Texas Piney Woods
I am still under the opinion that there is way too much hype for the Protank. I bought several T3's my first couple of weeks of vaping, it was a miserable experience. I really wanted them to work, I did lots of research, learned how to recoil, and tried tons of stuff to get them working. They did, sometimes. I just finally tossed them in a drawer and just last week, gave them away.

Then the Protank comes out, knocked everyones socks off. I thought, surely they fixed the T3 problems. So I bought into it and ordered one.........
The original coil gave dry hits, and when a flavor wick was removed, flooded. I rewicked it with 3mm silica wick, it worked but was still gurgly. So I always kept a q-tip handy so I could swab the air passage. This thread has added a few tricks to try. So I rewicked it with cotton taped of 3 of the 4 air slots cut in the base and filled it with the only 50/50 liquid I have. So far it is working well, still worried to see what happens when I hit a 1/4 tank, but that is to come.

I, like most of you experiencing problems, want this thing to work. I paid good money, it is made of quality material, why shouldn't it work?

So why I think there is too much Hype? Most of you know not to vape it after 1/4 tank, to keep a q-tip handy for the gurgle, oh don't worry about that drip of liquid on your positive post, to rewick the heads (modifying it from it's original configuration). These same people grumble that you have to swirl a vivi nova at 1/3 tank.

To be perfectly honest, straight out of the package, the vivi nova, kicks the crap out of the protank I received(In my opinion).

From the looks of it there are plenty of people that got a spot on, works first time, everytime protank. I am happy for you, but to me this was a sub par product out of the package.

As with any of this Chinese made stuff, YMMV.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
Just the opposite for me. My ProTanks are the best I've tried in 3 1/2 years of searching and trying just about every device on the market.. I vape 70/30 Menthol at 7 watts and never get dry hits, gurgling or leaking and I vape them right out of box with no modifications. A coil head lasts me for weeks and only cost 1.00 each. I didn't think it could be any better but the PT II is even better with all replaceable parts. I use the mini PT with my ego type PV's. My search has finally ended but life will probably be a little more boring.:)

Last edited:

carldamnit

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
East Texas Piney Woods
Just the opposite for me. My ProTanks are the best I've tried in 3 1/2 years of searching and trying just about every device on the market.. I vape 70/30 Menthol at 7 watts and never get dry hits, gurgling or leaking and I vape them right out of box with no modifications. A coil head lasts me for weeks and only cost 1.00 each. I didn't think it could be any better but the PT II is even better with all replaceable parts. I use the mini PT with my ego type PV's. My search has finally ended but life will probably be a little more boring.:)

Awesome that you found your delivery device! I have a few favorites but I am still looking for "the one".

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
Awesome that you found your delivery device! I have a few favorites but I am still looking for "the one".

Have you tried carto tanks by chance? Reason I ask is I have danced around whether or not I really want to keep using the Protank 2, largely due to the issues you outlined above. I have a carto tank here that has been insanely problem free. The only, ONLY downside to the carto tanks is if you're a penny pincher, you can save a buck by rebuilding Protank heads, whereas cartos aren't exactly rebuildable. That said, cartos (so far) have lasted me around the length of a Protank head (in most cases, a bit longer). 10 bucks for a 5 pack of cartos is cheap enough that I won't sneeze at that, especially considering I'm not saving anything with cartos vs Protank heads since I'm currently not rebuilding any heads. But like I said, that's literally the only financial difference I can see. Both of them are easy to use, easy to grab on the go, easy to refill, etc.

I'm currently vaping my PT2 with zero flavor wicks. So far I haven't gotten a lot of burnt hits, but they still exist if I'm on it pretty heavily. If I chain vape cartos, the same thing happens, but it seems like I have to be on the carto tanks substantially more to hit that point. Normally I'm high as a kite from the nic hits I'm getting before I bring a carto to that point.

Just my 2c.

carldamnit

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
East Texas Piney Woods
Have you tried carto tanks by chance? Reason I ask is I have danced around whether or not I really want to keep using the Protank 2, largely due to the issues you outlined above. I have a carto tank here that has been insanely problem free. The only, ONLY downside to the carto tanks is if you're a penny pincher, you can save a buck by rebuilding Protank heads, whereas cartos aren't exactly rebuildable. That said, cartos (so far) have lasted me around the length of a Protank head (in most cases, a bit longer). 10 bucks for a 5 pack of cartos is cheap enough that I won't sneeze at that, especially considering I'm not saving anything with cartos vs Protank heads since I'm currently not rebuilding any heads. But like I said, that's literally the only financial difference I can see. Both of them are easy to use, easy to grab on the go, easy to refill, etc.

I'm currently vaping my PT2 with zero flavor wicks. So far I haven't gotten a lot of burnt hits, but they still exist if I'm on it pretty heavily. If I chain vape cartos, the same thing happens, but it seems like I have to be on the carto tanks substantially more to hit that point. Normally I'm high as a kite from the nic hits I'm getting before I bring a carto to that point.

Just my 2c.

That is an awesome suggestion. I do own carto tanks. I have an AGR and a Smok pyrex. I agree it is some of the most trouble free and consistant vaping I have had. Like you my only gripe is that you have to throw the whole cartomizer away after awhile. I really need to find a 3 ml glass locking tank with a refill hole that I can carry at work. There has to be one out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. In the mean time I have been looking to try one of the new Pyrex mini vivi novas.

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
That is an awesome suggestion. I do own carto tanks. I have an AGR and a Smok pyrex. I agree it is some of the most trouble free and consistant vaping I have had. Like you my only gripe is that you have to throw the whole cartomizer away after awhile. I really need to find a 3 ml glass locking tank with a refill hole that I can carry at work. There has to be one out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. In the mean time I have been looking to try one of the new Pyrex mini vivi novas.

I wonder if a rebuildable cartomizer exists... That'd be a neato concept...

EDIT - In other news, I just began having problems with my zero flavor wick Protank 2, which had been working marginally well over the last 24 hours. I decided to do a dry burn it as a means to clean off the head since I was getting some burnt hits, but now all I get is significantly more burnt hits.

I think I can put down the Protank knowing full well I am not missing anything. Maybe someday I'll revisit it for kicks, but dangit, the carto tanks just provide me with a hassle free no maintenance vape. I need to stop tinkering with something convinced it MUST be good if a lot of users are providing positive reviews about it, even if the vast majority of my experience through two renditions of the device along with two dozen heads and a half dozen rebuilt heads has been nothing short of a bummer.

If you use the PT 1/2 and like it, by all means continue doing so. I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade. I'm just beginning to think it's rather overrated considering what goes into making it work. It kind of reminds me of my Pontiac a few years back... sometimes I had to juice the intake with manifold spray to get it to kick on, other times I had to jiggle the light switch handle to get the lights to stay on, but even when I caress it, wash it, wax it, change the oil and tune it up, and most importantly - tell it how much I love it, it still found its way onto a rollback tow truck more times than I care to remember.

/blunt 2c

Last edited:

mtdewfreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2013
Texas
Hate to hear that. I just got the PT2. Haven't used it yet but I Haven't been pleased with the PT, except when powered by evod heads, which they stopped making.

To be honest my IBTanked tanks and cartos totally out perform the pro tanks. Too bad, I love the ease and looks of the protanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
Hate to hear that. I just got the PT2. Haven't used it yet but I Haven't been pleased with the PT, except when powered by evod heads, which they stopped making.

To be honest my IBTanked tanks and cartos totally out perform the pro tanks. Too bad, I love the ease and looks of the protanks

An IBTanked tank is actually what I got into using more recently. I do have to question something, if you don't mind. What is it about a clearo that seems 'easier' than a carto tank? In the event you need to punch your own cartos, I can start to see that, but a lot of people have said that their carto tank isn't something they take on the go. Lately I've been using it on the go and it's pretty much like any other device, in my opinion. If you need to fill it up, just raise the tank a bit, drop some liquid in off to the side, drop the tank back down, good to go, etc. I guess I just never viewed carto tanks to be any less or more difficult than clearos, so when they are mentioned as such I always wondered... how? :p

carldamnit

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
East Texas Piney Woods
An IBTanked tank is actually what I got into using more recently. I do have to question something, if you don't mind. What is it about a clearo that seems 'easier' than a carto tank? In the event you need to punch your own cartos, I can start to see that, but a lot of people have said that their carto tank isn't something they take on the go. Lately I've been using it on the go and it's pretty much like any other device, in my opinion. If you need to fill it up, just raise the tank a bit, drop some liquid in off to the side, drop the tank back down, good to go, etc. I guess I just never viewed carto tanks to be any less or more difficult than clearos, so when they are mentioned as such I always wondered... how? :p

I agree that a carto tank is really pretty easy to maintain. I travel around quite a bit, and climb stuff on my job. I am really worried that I would have a tank slip up off the carto when I am out and about. Would not be a good day. Thats why I am looking for a small pyrex locking tank. In an office environment, I don't see any issues. They are easy to use and work really well.

mtdewfreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2013
Texas
i use a tool to slide my carts in and out of the tank when filling or replacing to help protect the o-rings. so for me, an extra piece is required the way i fill.

second, the tank can pull right off the carto and dump e-liquid everywhere.

those are the big differences for me. a tank in my pocket is an accident waiting to happen, imo...

with those things said, once the o-ring dries it has some grip. plus with the right drip tip, the tank will stay seated much better.

i'm still leaning more and more to tanks and carts...

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
i use a tool to slide my carts in and out of the tank when filling or replacing to help protect the o-rings. so for me, an extra piece is required the way i fill.

second, the tank can pull right off the carto and dump e-liquid everywhere.

those are the big differences for me. a tank in my pocket is an accident waiting to happen, imo...

with those things said, once the o-ring dries it has some grip. plus with the right drip tip, the tank will stay seated much better.

i'm still leaning more and more to tanks and carts...

I'd trade a vape that isn't terrible for a slight bit of maintenance any day. Likewise, the IBTanked drip tip doubles as a slide on tool and easy fill tool, so both of those issues are circumvented all together with that particular drip tip.

I'm really trying to love the Protank. I keep on trying it, keep trying new things, etc., but I just don't see what I'm gaining besides a lesser flavor/vape and more issues than I care to deal with. Just my 2c, but like any optimistic vaper out there, I'll keep at it. Maybe someday we'll hit a home run.

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
So tonight, I pulled out the head that I have been using since Monday. Today, I did not use my Protank at all. So overall, the current head had 48 hours of usage at about 3.8v (or lower) at 2.7 ohm. In the new head, I took out one of the wicks before I even installed the head. Then I let it sit for 15 minutes and began vaping. As expected, things are quite well. My last hope is that the previous head(s) were complete duds.

I need to pick up some wick. I have coil but I'd like to get some decent wick to re-build these heads. If things continue like they have been, I'll just have to use what works best for me.

In other news, I got my IBTanked XL today. It's so freakin huge. It makes the Protank look so dang tiny in terms of how much liquid it holds. I have absolutely no problems marrying that thing for the future if headaches persist. Let's see how far we can get on this head... currently 3.8v at 2.6 ohm with 80/20 liquid, one flavor wick removed... I'll keep it there to see how things go.

Has anybody rewicked a Protank head with SS mesh? I think I have some laying around... perhaps that might be worth a shot.

Last edited:

mtdewfreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2013
Texas
So tonight, I pulled out the head that I have been using since Monday. Today, I did not use my Protank at all. So overall, the current head had 48 hours of usage at about 3.8v (or lower) at 2.7 ohm. In the new head, I took out one of the wicks before I even installed the head. Then I let it sit for 15 minutes and began vaping. As expected, things are quite well. My last hope is that the previous head(s) were complete duds.

I need to pick up some wick. I have coil but I'd like to get some decent wick to re-build these heads. If things continue like they have been, I'll just have to use what works best for me.

In other news, I got my IBTanked XL today. It's so freakin huge. It makes the Protank look so dang tiny in terms of how much liquid it holds. I have absolutely no problems marrying that thing for the future if headaches persist. Let's see how far we can get on this head... currently 3.8v at 2.6 ohm with 80/20 liquid, one flavor wick removed... I'll keep it there to see how things go.

Has anybody rewicked a Protank head with SS mesh? I think I have some laying around... perhaps that might be worth a shot.

I have not rewicked with SS yet, but its in my plans...

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
I've been much happier with the protank 2 than the one. No more dripping juice in my hand filling it etc. I have noticed occasionally getting dry hits. When I do I take it off, turn it over and unscrew the base enough to break the vacuum inside-tighten it up and no more dry hits. ymmv.

Hmm... I'll keep this in mind. :)

3rdear11

Jul 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC, USA
I received my Protank 2 in the mail a week ago. It came with two 2.5ohm coils. Worked great at first minus the draw being too easy for me. I tried a whole bunch of flavors, rinsing the wick and cleaning out everything under hot tap water between each. I noticed that it did drip a drop onto my ego base. Two days ago it started producing a very thin vape. After much fiddling with different torque amounts between all of the contact points I spent the day, out of frustration, with my beginners kit plastic clearos. Before supper took the idea of plugging the base holes via plumbers tape. Gave it I think 4 or 5 revolutions. Then poked out one hole, tried the draw, tight, poked out another hole, tried the draw, perfect. Then I put a 1.8ohm coil in it. It think she's ok now. We'll see as I get lower in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread