Kanger Protank question

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by daev, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. daev

daev Full Member

I got a Protank from Fasttech about 10 days ago. Using it with an Itaste v3.0 VV/VW battery. And it seems like no matter what voltage or wattage setting I use, no matter how low I go, it has a slight burnt flavor to it that I am not getting with an iClear 16 or a Vivi Nova V4, or even a CE4. Could I just have a bad coil in it? I've been cleaning out everything with vodka when i try out a new flavor of eliquid. I can't imagine how, but could that be hurting it? I LOVE how the thing looks, but i could use some advice. HELP! lol

2. Bill's Magic Vapor

Bill's Magic Vapor Juice Maker Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Change the coil and see if the bad taste goes away. If it does, then you know. If it doesn't, let us know and we can pursue from there. Coils do get gunked up with carbonization and caramelization and cannot be cleaned after a certain point. Juice is also a factor. I replace my coils twice a week, but that's because of my juice, not my vape at 7 Watts. Try it and let us know.

3. denno612

denno612 Full Member

check the ohms on the coil itself,i use a nova tank and had the same problem and lowered mine to a 1.8 and tha t fixed mine , just sayin...

4. VANA

VANA Moved On

Soak them in vodka, then taken them apart and remove one if the three wicks. Theirs videos on YouTube on how to do it, 5 mims process. Start lower than move up to a higher voltage.

5. SilverZero

SilverZero Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

This. If you have had a burnt flavor from the beginning try removing one of the flavor wicks. It makes a huge difference with some coil heads.

6. lampdoorbox

lampdoorbox Full Member

If that doesn't work I would definitely try changing the coil

7. daev

daev Full Member

ok, watched a video. i don't have a fancy 510/ego connector ohmmeter like the video guy did, but i figure a 4-wire resistance measurement with one of my uber lab bench system dmm's should do. (unless, of course, the coil resistance must be measured with significant current going through it, in which case i plead newbie.) both the burnt tasting one and the replacement measure a hair under 2.4 ohms. took the burnt tasting one apart, and it ~looked~ a little burnt. took the new one, pulled out a thread from the wick, washed it in vodka, dried it a bit, filled and reassembled protank. the itaste says its 2.2 ohms after one draw at lowest setting possible of 6W. bring it up to 6.5W so i'm getting ~some~ vapor, and it tastes fine after 25 draws. put a pipe cleaner down the tube as a dip stick to check if any flooding was happening due to wickige removal, and its fine. so maybe this protank just needs wick and coil replaced much more often than the iclear 16's, along with a bit less wick than what is supplied. or i toasted the other wick with too much wattage when i was initially playing around. either way i'll know more after a couple hundred puffs. it's such a pretty tank... ;)

on a really good note, though, now that i watched a video, i know just how stinkin easy it will be to rebuild this thing and play around with my own coil resistances. does 30AWG or 32AWG kanthal wire sound right? the guy on the vid was using 32AWG, and 2.5mm silica wick. 2.5mm? is that right? weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

thank you all fine peeps! :)

8. daev

daev Full Member

just took a set of calipers to the burnt one's wire, which reads 6 mil diameter, so it's probably 34 AWG, with 5.5 turns around the wick.

9. jkarlson

jkarlson Full Member Verified Member

Change out the wicks. If that doesn't work make sure you are priming it correctly. Also keep the voltage at 4.2 or lower. Higher the voltage, faster it burns out.

10. mattrhdr

mattrhdr Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

what if your using 3.0v at 10 or so watts? will that burn it out faster too?

11. jkarlson

jkarlson Full Member Verified Member

Depends on the device you're using. But 10 watts seems a bit high for a wick system. But hey, if it ain't burnt don't fix it. Orrrrrrrrr switch over to mech mods and dripping muahaahhahahahahha. You'll never be able to go back to cartos and clearos again!

12. mattrhdr

im still a newbie and several people have told me not to mess with mech mods for a while... so this was before i found this site. right now im using the SmokTech SID vape. I only use 10 watts for 1 of my flavors cuz i find it requires a higher wattage to get the full flavour. For most of my other flavors I usually stick around 8 watts, and im also using 2.2ohm coils, would you recommend using 1.8ohm coils? Id appreciate some advice. thanks

Cheers, Matt

13. sturat5150

sturat5150 Full Member

I have to agree with jkarlson on this one, I have had no luck with Protank wicking above 7.5 watts, any higher and I get dry hits.

14. mattrhdr

yeah but i guess it also depends on the eqliuids your using. for me most of my liquid work at 7.5-8 watts, the one flavour seems to need a little more

15. txgtr

txgtr Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

My protanks always had the dreaded burning taste when I used the heads they came with. After rebuilding them using 3mm silica, the burnt taste was no longer a problem. I've been building them to be about 1.7 ohms and I lower the vv or watts considerably with pretty good results.

16. mattrhdr

ive switch all mine to 2.2ohms and using around 7.5-8watts. when they burn out ill use the 1.8ohm coils. when you adjust the VV what do your normally use with your 1.7ohm coil? and what would you adjust your wattage to with the 1.7ohm coil? just curious

17. tenchi_kioto

tenchi_kioto Full Member

Anyone using cheese cloth in there protank instead with good luck?

18. SilverZero

If you like the vape at 7.5 to 8.0W, then keep it at that setting. If you are using variable wattage it won't matter whether you are using a 2.2 ohm coil or a 1.7 ohm coil; the mod will output the correct voltage to achieve that power setting.

19. neutral99

neutral99 New Member

I am new to the forum, and I have a noob question about the Protank. There is a small plastic cover for on the atomizer. Do I have to remove that before use?

20. SilverZero

If you are talking about the silicone cap that sits right above the wicks and is mounted on the center post don't touch it; that prevents leaking. If you're talking about something else please clarify so we can help you out better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.