Kanger Protank rebuild, 32 kanthal, silica wick and...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyboy5691

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Hamburg, NY
I use mesh because i absolutely hate the idea of throwing out a burnt head. And also because im bringing a few eVod-eGo combos home for smoker friends as an intro to vaping. Im not in my home country 10 out of 12 months a year so i wanted something as hassle-free for them as possible. A steel wicked eVod seems perfect for that.

If more peole would like a tutorial i will make one, otherwise i ll just outline the process here for motuvap.

I'd really like a tutorial on how you rebuild your heads Kanj. I'm always interested to learn as much as I can. Thanks.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I rebuilt one of my heads with the ceramic wick, it is called xc-116 and is similar in looks to silica. I didn't get great flavor from it but it could have been user error as it was my first rebuild of any coil ever. The flavor was muted and the vapor production was so-so. I may have wrapped the coil too tight or something. If at first you don't succeed try try again.

Crocky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
North Carolina
Ceramic and mesh are just two alternatives for wicking materials, like silica.

I dont like silica so i ripped everything out of my Protank after 1 tank of juice for testing. As it comes (mine at least) the draw is way too airy and vapor & flavor production is poor. My guess is that since there is so much air in a draw and so little vapor, the flavor is diluted.

Rebuilt it with mesh and ribbon kanthal, works like a champ now. Way more vapor, flavor, and no leaking whatsoever.

Does ribbon kanthal come in different gauges as well and if so do you stick with 32. Also do you typically use 400 or 500 SS mesh wicks

Last edited:

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
So far i have seen 2 different sizes of kanthal, 0.5mm and 0.8mm in width. I have a big spool of the 0.5 it works great. Should be getting the 0.8 today to try and milk just a little more power from my batteries.

Note that larger width (same thickness and length) effectively translates to lower resistance. So they are like 2 different gauges of round kanthal. Ribbon, in my experience, is just better than round in many ways. If you think about it the physics makes sense too.

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
Oh, you should have said burning rubber. Its the rubber gasket at the bottom of the head. Most likely your build has a short somewhere and your coil is burning the gasket. That smell is very hard to get rid of, i suggest discarding the build and wash everything else thoroughly with warm water, then build another one.

Guild

Mar 14, 2013
New York, NY, USA
I can't speak to the dry burn thing, but I've read that lightly torching the silica before install is actually a good thing to burn out any fluff ( which i didnt do.) I only replaced the top wicks with more silica and noticed a burned plastic or rubber flavor. Not exactly anything I've smelled or tasted before, but reminded me of that. I just kept the voltage really low, slowly increasing, and that flavor went away after half a tank. I'm vaping unflavored vg for now, so it really stood out, but was still very much vapable. Try turning down the volts to 3.4 or 3.6 on a 2.5 coil and slowly increase. I'm still a newb, so take all this with a grain of salt.

Edit: interestingly my phone doesn't recognize the word 'vaping' :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread