Status
Not open for further replies.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
use photobucket so you can show bigger pictures.

themoreyouknow.jpg

UncHellMatt

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Boston
I've been cannibalizing my remaining Vivi replacements and using the wicks on my Kanger ProTanks instead of using the Kanger replacement wicks. Generally able to get roughly 2.8-3ohm doing that, much better flavor. It's also been tough to go back to carto-tank combinations since I've gotten so used to the easy draw on ProTanks. At this point, I really don't use anything else. Replacing the wicks, thanks to this tutorial, has been easy-peezy.

Oh yeah, the bamboo wick I bought? Not very good at all. Seems to burn very easily and leaves an odd taste, even after thoroughly washing the wick.

neofelis

Oct 24, 2011
Australia
So I've tried to rebuild it about 5 times now, EVERY TIME the base of my kanger protank turns boiling hot after a short amount of use...
Does anyone know what's causing this? I highly doubt anyone who's rebuilt a kanger protank head here hasn't experienced it.. Pretty shocked it also hasn't been mentioned.

Edit: I just read you need to use no resistance wire on these... Similar to the GG ODDY.. If you don't the base will heat up....

OP; Thanks for not mentioning any of this in your original post......

Last edited:

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
So I've tried to rebuild it about 5 times now, EVERY TIME the base of my kanger protank turns boiling hot after a short amount of use...
Does anyone know what's causing this? I highly doubt anyone who's rebuilt a kanger protank head here hasn't experienced it.. Pretty shocked it also hasn't been mentioned.

Edit: I just read you need to use no resistance wire on these... Similar to the GG ODDY.. If you don't the base will heat up....

OP; Thanks for not mentioning any of this in your original post......

I didn't mention no-resistance because it isn't what I used. I've never used no-resistance wire in my Protank rebuilds. I've never had any problems with my rebuilds.

Don't blame me for your inability to rebuild a coil correctly.

LazyBulldogge

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2013
Kalundborg, Denmark
I've only rebuilt 1 Protank coil so far, with 6 wraps of Kanthal D 0.2mm (AWG 32 I think?).
It gets warm yes, but so does the stock coil, and I don't double back the legs, use non-resistance wire or anything like that either. I do only vape at 6.5 Watts though, as that's what I fancy, but no boiling hot clearo for me either :)

Flyer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Illinois
Been rebuilding Vivi Nova heads for 9 months or so and the Pro Tank is virtually identical. Never doubled up wire on legs, never used no-resistance wire, never had a burnt insulator. Make sure the new wick is saturated before you vape and bring your voltage/power up slowly to break in the new coil. If you taste burnt flavor, turn it down! You're vaping, not arc welding.

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
I built my first coil using the pin trick. Thanks OP! It worked well...I think. Anyway, I did try the 4/40 screw idea but I didn't have a proper needle to feed it thru...I ended up with a 1.6 ohms on the coil. One thing I figured out...I hate the taste of peaches and cream yarn. It is a more pronounced flavor of soap! My liquids never taste like soap :) Therefore, back to the drawing board...need to order silica and kanthal wire.

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
I built my first coil using the pin trick. Thanks OP! It worked well...I think. Anyway, I did try the 4/40 screw idea but I didn't have a proper needle to feed it thru...I ended up with a 1.6 ohms on the coil. One thing I figured out...I hate the taste of peaches and cream yarn. It is a more pronounced flavor of soap! My liquids never taste like soap :) Therefore, back to the drawing board...need to order silica and kanthal wire.

My pleasure.

I'm curious about rebuilding with cotton or hemp, but I can't imagine the fibers not burning. Silica has worked well enough for me. I think I'll be sticking with it.

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
My pleasure.

I'm curious about rebuilding with cotton or hemp, but I can't imagine the fibers not burning. Silica has worked well enough for me. I think I'll be sticking with it.
I have not ordered anything related to rebuilding. I had a very nice friend send me some kanthal and peaches & cream yarn. I wanted to make sure I could do it before getting crazy buying stuff.

I know Silica would taste better than cotton. :)

Steve K

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
Philadelphia,Pa

Sdh I use the peaches and cream yarn and love it,It makes beautiful wicks and I do boil it for 1/2 hr then let it dry, I don't get that taste.I also wrap the coil on the end of a syringe.

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
Sdh I use the peaches and cream yarn and love it,It makes beautiful wicks and I do boil it for 1/2 hr then let it dry, I don't get that taste.I also wrap the coil on the end of a syringe.

Thanks for the tip Steve. I have to admit I just briefly nuked it for a few minutes. 1/2 hour it is. I will try again.

Steve K

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2012
Philadelphia,Pa
Thanks for the tip Steve. I have to admit I just briefly nuked it for a few minutes. 1/2 hour it is. I will try again.
Yes I got that from this video I found on you tube and I think its the best demonstration on using the Peaches and cream wick,This video is for the vivi nova but can easily be applied to the Kangers as they are almost identical,And I did this for the Kanger T-3 same process as the video.Rebuilding Vivi Nova atomizer with cotton wick - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread