Kanger protanks are a really really bad product or am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk5000

Jul 30, 2013
Costa Rica
I have about 10 of these things with my Provari. v1 & v2. Got em all.

I can't believe people use these products without hiccups because it is about as unstable as a product has ever been. Let me outline some of the problems :

1. Whether it vapes or not is an entirely random event. You may have screwed it too tight or not tight enough or there may be a bubble etc etc. You have to have it just right and NEVER open it again while it's working right to keep the situation under control.

2. If it's vaping at all there is a HIGH likelihood of getting e-liquid squirting out the front as you vape. Enjoy that. If you use highly potent 36 mg e-juice like me that could land you in the emergency room if you end up drinking enough of it.

3. If it ever falls over there is a 50-50 chance of it breaking off in your provari in which case you'll have to unscrew the broken part in the provari using a screwdriver. An exercise not up to everyone's speed.

Right now, I got 2 v2s in the mail. One worked after fiddling around with it quite a bit. The other one WILL-NOT-WORK. No matter what you do with it. A fellow vaper in my office has done everything he can with it too. Nothing. All we have right now if you screw it on and press the button on the Provari while it's upside down is it will squirt out lots of e-juice from the front onto your hand or whatever you got in front of it. We dare not try to vape off it but if we did we likely wouldn't get any vapor anyway.

Can people tell me what it is we're doing wrong and if nothing, then can someone recommend a better and more stable tank product for the provari that isn't $100+ since I'd like to buy like 5 and fill em up with different juice.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
I don't use protanks for different reasons than those you mention so first I'll say carto-tanks are low maintenance compared to bottom coils.

As for troubleshooting - There is some missing information (mainly what have you tried?). Is it genuine Kanger? What is the pg/vg ratio of the juice? Have you messed with flavor wicks? Have you tried rebuilding the coil or putting a new head on it? Are you sure the rubber is sealing the air tube?

Contained

Verified Member
Jul 15, 2012
Houston, TX
Sorry you're having trouble, I haven't experienced anything like this with the kanger's I've used (other than my juice cracking the plastic on the T3's), but the protank 2 and 3's have been consistently reliable. You should try out some of the aspire bdc's. In my opinion, much better flavor and performance than the protanks.

RattlerX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2014
West Texas
Are they real Kangers, or are they clones from some "fast" outfit?

There's nothing wrong with a Protank that an Aerotank base and a properly rebuilt head (with a micro-coil and cotton wick) won't fix. :laugh:

Agree with Rossum….

While I have an assortment of vape gear there are 7 Protank 2's on mods at this moment and 3 or 4 more sitting around ready to go. Yes they do need to be set-up correctly but I like them just fine and they always work if I do my part. They get a regular cleaning...

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I think you are missing something. I have 4 Protanks and they all work perfectly.

The only time I've3 had a leaking issue is when I've accidently unscrewed the top from the base while I was trying to take it off my mod and not paying attention. This is me in the front car causing this:

It was a bummer to lose all that juice but at least I got away clean after causing all that.

Nyfinity

Jan 28, 2014
Florida, USA
My boyfriend and I have PT2s and even as total noobs have had no issues. On the other hand, I see plenty of people on here talking about problems with these tanks. They seem to be all over the place. I can't say anything constructive other than that I wish you the best of luck in finding something that works for you. If my PT2 gave me as much trouble as you are getting, it would have been traded or trashed by now. You're more dedicated than I for sure. :thumb:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I have to assume you are talking about the Protank II. Hope so anyway.
I'm a bit surprised Provape is providing it in the Provari Kit as many many Provari owners have complained on incompatibility.

There are actually a few solutions. Air flow controllers allow the tank to sit in a proper position to get air flow through the 510 connection.
The latest solution is actually the best and may likely be the answer to many owners problems.

KangerTech AeroTank Base - Sun-Vapers.com
This allows Side air draw to the tank.
Still, it looks like the Aspire Nautilus is a much better performing tank - however much more expensive to operate.

That was not Fanboy recommendation, I have a boat load of Kanger gear.

inanitydefined

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
On a rock floating through space
Are they real Kangers, or are they clones from some "fast" outfit?

There's nothing wrong with a Protank that an Aerotank base and a properly rebuilt head (with a micro-coil and cotton wick) won't fix. :laugh:

yup. T3s clearos with cotton microcoil and bored out air holes have become my number one vape. Kanger bottom coils rule when properly set up. And I swear these things are made with witchcraft because I have been trying to get them to crack, and they are handling everything so far. Never had a plastic tank this good before

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
i do pretty well with my protanks. they perform for me.

that said;

there's something to be said about something that is reliable and just works without worry of malfunction or reaction from juice (an issue with many plastic tanks).

if the protanks are to work for you, this will give you time to work the kinks out. if not, so be it.

what i offer you;

22mm ibtanked carto tanks to rest above your beloved provari.

get some laser punched cartos
get an extra tube for your tank(s) just in case of catastrophic emergency
get a slap yo mama
get a few 510 drip tips of your liking

make sure you prime your cartos by whatever method you choose and you should be good to go.

if you're interested, take a look through baditudes blogs... E-Cigarette Forum - Baditude - Blogs

Last edited:

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
I think you are missing something. I have 4 Protanks and they all work perfectly.

The only time I've3 had a leaking issue is when I've accidently unscrewed the top from the base while I was trying to take it off my mod and not paying attention. This is me in the front car causing this:

It was a bummer to lose all that juice but at least I got away clean after causing all that.

I like my PT II with the Aerotank base. Wish you luck with yours.

So in your video WTH were the Darwin award winners thinking when they got out of their cars and stood around on the road while cars are still crashing all around them? At one point they seemed to catch on and got off the road, then just a few minutes later there they are standing right in the middle of the crashes.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I have read on the forums that there seem to be lots of fake Kanger products on the market. That being said I also see that there are people that love them and there are people that hate them. Of course that can be said of absolutely everything there is for vaping. Some will say that one thing is the best they've ever used and others will chime in that hate the exact same thing.

I have used Protanks 1 & 2 and they work very good for me. Every once in awhile I'll get a bad coil but for the most part I have no complaints.

keonee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
USA
When I first got my Protank 2 I had a few issues with gurgling and sucking up e-liquid. Got so bad I put it away for a few weeks. Decided to try it out again and with reading here I have learned to make sure everything is screwed tight, don't over fill, and prime it before vaping. I set it on low and work my way up by voltage/watts.

I have now really enjoyed it so much that I have ordered a 2nd one plus an aero base to use on these....I really like the Aspire Nautilus that has the aero base and will be looking forward to using the Protanks with one.

When I did get the gurgling and taste of e-liquid in my mouth I took a pipe cleaner and ran it down the shaft with a circular motion and that took care of the problem.

Good Luck to You.

likeego

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Montreal, QC
I have a Protank II. I don't like it at all. Have had flooding issues, burnt taste issues, leaking issues (a lot from the connector). Everything was tightly screwed together, tried removing wicks, made sure everything was in order... I find it very unreliable. I second the suggestion up the thread to try an Aspire. Just bought a second one at my local vape shop tonight (the pyrex ET-S). Vapes like a charm. Great flavour, no gurgles and it's about half the price with dual coils. I think the Protank heads are very poor quality (the vape shop guys said they won't be buying any more, they've had so many issues).

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
First of all, don't be blaming a PT for a Provari issue. It's well known that several devices have problems making contact with the Provari 510 connector - not just ProTanks. That, and the Provari 510 connector tends to block the air holes above the 510 threading on a PT. You can make this combination work, but the combination is far from ideal either.

As to the non connection, the most common reason for this is the coil assembly not being screwed fully into the PT. This can happen with a lot of devices, not just a Provari. Back off the coil assembly from the base, screw the coil firmly into the PT base, try again.

If you are turning your PT upside down and have complaints about liquid dripping out of it and/or getting a lot of liquid in your mouth that leads me to believe you removed the silicone cap off the vent tube on the coil assembly. That is not packing material - it's the seal that maintains a partial vacuum in the tank.

jwoode

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2014
East Coast
OK.. I'll admit I'm strange.. ocd and drive lots of people i know.. pretty crazy.. but.

I'm over $750 into vaping.. in just under 2 weeks.. and I have been to 3 stores in the Charlotte area to basically.. buy everything that strikes me as just the right kind of shiny. Something I've noticed is that of the 3 stores I checked out, one store sells many bits of hardware.. including tanks that are packaged in little tiny zip lock bags. That just won't do at all for me since I simply must have the original boxes. It's a moral imperative.

I have a bunch of Protanks.. 2, 3, and minis. They all work just fine with no issues at all. All of the batteries.. eGo, twists, spinners, worked fine. I love my Vamo and the VTR and just nothing has had a problem yet.. I just think my favorite store has good original stuff.. and they are very informative when they sell stuff.. that probably really matters.

Maybe you're buying bogus stuff?
Why would stuff come in little bags?

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
If you suspect your Kanger is a counterfeit product, go to their web site, halfway down the left side of the home page you will see "Please input the product security code to identify the authenticity" in red. On each Kanger product box the is a security code, scratch off the area indicated on the label and enter this security code. You will then get a reply telling whether or not the product you is an authentic Kanger product.

Kanger is not the only manufacturer that uses this feature, just verified my new iClear 30S at Innokin's web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread