Kanger protanks are a really really bad product or am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk5000

Jul 30, 2013
Costa Rica
If you are turning your PT upside down and have complaints about liquid dripping out of it and/or getting a lot of liquid in your mouth that leads me to believe you removed the silicone cap off the vent tube on the coil assembly. That is not packing material - it's the seal that maintains a partial vacuum in the tank.

This may be very pertinent. Will test this theory tomorrow and report back.

To all those telling me I may have bought counterfeit products. Everything was bought from ProVape E-Cigarettes: Buy Electronic Cigarettes & Smokeless Cigs - the home of the provari. Unless they're selling counterfeit protanks, that's not an issue.

Jenn Perry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have 3 protank 3s and an aero. The 3s did have terrible problems when i got the aero and the new duel coils I've had absolutely NO not one problem. I wish I knew what was happening but it most like is the older coils we horrible. i suggest getting the aero bottom for them and the new duel coils and I think it might be better for you

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I've been using protanks ever since they came out and have had no problems with then but I rebuild my own heads and don't use the stock ones at all anymore.
My take on some of the flooding and problems is:

---stock coil wicking is thin and cheap... remove wicking and replace with cotton.
---stock head coils are set too low in the head... slide a pin through the coil and lift it up from the center.
---stock wraps are inconsistant and lousy 3-space-3 configuration of wraps...take a pin and make all the wraps evenly spaced and straight.
---flavor wicks are too short and thin... use either twisted cotton or cutoff wicks from a old top coil atty and replace flavor wicks with a thicker, longer wick and be sure it sticks out the slits some to plug the gap under the stem cap.
---opaque clearish insulator on the bottom is very soft... have to pull the bottom positive pin out a bit and also the insulator to make contact with the PV and do that everytime you remove the PT from your PV.

My wife uses a provari and she has no contact or airflow issues with any of the protanks she uses so you can't always blame the PV for user error. I've commented before on how vaping isn't plug and play and so many seem to think it is. Learning DIY will put you on a path of a much happier vaper.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Are they real Kangers, or are they clones from some "fast" outfit?

There's nothing wrong with a Protank that an Aerotank base and a properly rebuilt head (with a micro-coil and cotton wick) won't fix. :laugh:
all mine are clones from some "fast" place...even have clone coil packs (so much I had to take a cutoff wheel and thin the side to screw em in) I learned a little trick from an old school vaper, works every time, so easy even a beginner can do it, no...it's NOT rebuilding, but it is giving it a very simple "Tuneup"

Last edited:

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
I just got my Protank 2 last week and it has performed perfectly. I can usually see a bubble coming up from the bottom frequently and it still performs perfectly. Every now and again I get a dry hit but I'm not going to complain for the price. I'm used to Vivi Nova's so this thing is a gem in my book.
Eventually you will come across a head or a pack of heads that give you problem...the above "tuneup" fixes dry hits/gurgling

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
all mine are clones from some "fast" place...even have clone coil packs (so much I had to take a cutoff wheel and thin the side to screw em in) I learned a little trick from an old school vaper, works every time, so easy even a beginner can do it, no...it's NOT rebuilding, but it is giving it a very simple "Tuneup"

I'm curious about the thinning so could you explain it a bit further.
I have old "fast place" evods and their positive pins are bigger and have more contact area to the PV, so I put a evod pin on a drill and narrowed it with a file to be the same size and the protank pins and they work rather well.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
I'm curious about the thinning so could you explain it a bit further.
I have old "fast place" evods and their positive pins are bigger and have more contact area to the PV, so I put a evod pin on a drill and narrowed it with a file to be the same size and the protank pins and they work rather well.
the knurling on the chimney, was too big (diameter of chimney was too round), so I got the diamond cutoff wheel on my rotary tool and used it like a mini disk sander, made it thinner so it would fit

Christopherja

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2013
Nottingham
Not very informative post coming up, but nonetheless, I'd chime in here with another "problem-free" account.

I have multiple PT2s ad multiple MiniPT2s, and even before I got in to rewicking/recoiling them, etc., I never had any (and really, I mean not a single, non-user error) problems - with them - that is with a range of different ratio PG/VG juices and on a wide range of devices.

A great many of your problems, OP, might be related to lack of airflow (as others have mentioned, a known issue on the Provari), and a cheap airflow controller might just save the day.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
Sorry you're having trouble, I haven't experienced anything like this with the kanger's I've used (other than my juice cracking the plastic on the T3's), but the protank 2 and 3's have been consistently reliable. You should try out some of the aspire bdc's. In my opinion, much better flavor and performance than the protanks.

^^ I agree with this recommendation.

I converted My kanger pro tank2 so that now it takes Aspire BDC coils.

If you are having trouble with pro tanks, I suggest you go to DiscountVapers - Your source for savings on electronic cigarettes and accessories, Go-go eGo, vGo and buy the adapter that lets your pro tank 1 or 2 take aspire BDC coils.

The Aspire BDC line is very new, and they recently added another hole to their coils. They still have a long way to come, but personally I think the aspire bdc devices are the future of bottom coil vaping. I believe they will replace the pro tanks in the near future, once they hone in on their technology a bit better.

As of right now, I think the aspire BDC outdo any of the delivery devices in their category.

yellowrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
MN
IMG_20140131_122611.jpg

Here is mine and currently running 1.8 ohm on cotton. I have to hold it upside down from time to time and blow to stop the spitting.
I dont think a problem free atomizer exists.. Looks like my tank was not screwed in all the way, the gap is not that big.

Last edited:

mikmar224466

Jan 24, 2014
Louisiana
I've tried the kangertech products from the t2 up until the protank 2. I liked the T2... T3 was okay.. Went downhill from there for the most part. PT2 is where I said "I'm done"
People are pretty amped up on the pro tanks and I never quite got why.
Using them on anything stronger than an ego always just dissapointed me.
Even with several different pg/vg ratio liquids. Always the same...

Take out a flavor wick... Still dry hits.
Take out another... Floody nonsense.
Put half a wick back.. Floods
Put half a half a wick back... Dryhit
..Put Pro tank back in box and tossed on bookshelf
Repeat for PT2

I guess if anything I should thank kanger for helping push me toward RDAs and RBAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

certus11

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
usa
I don't think you are missing anything at all. Protanks can be a real pain but the reward is there if you truly seek it.

After spending one month with my three protank-II (two of them being minis), I have finally earned my Ph.D in Protanks and I am now reaping the reward. They are super great, extremely reliable, and low maintenance. Coils last a long time, flavor is rich and thick, and vapor is plentiful. I really enjoy my protanks' consistency now.

I'm kinda getting bored now that I am able to do that.

If you want the same experience with your protank as I have with my protanks you will have to first learn to work them right.

I have about 10 of these things with my Provari. v1 & v2. Got em all.

I can't believe people use these products without hiccups because it is about as unstable as a product has ever been. Let me outline some of the problems :

1. Whether it vapes or not is an entirely random event. You may have screwed it too tight or not tight enough or there may be a bubble etc etc. You have to have it just right and NEVER open it again while it's working right to keep the situation under control.

2. If it's vaping at all there is a HIGH likelihood of getting e-liquid squirting out the front as you vape. Enjoy that. If you use highly potent 36 mg e-juice like me that could land you in the emergency room if you end up drinking enough of it.

3. If it ever falls over there is a 50-50 chance of it breaking off in your provari in which case you'll have to unscrew the broken part in the provari using a screwdriver. An exercise not up to everyone's speed.

Right now, I got 2 v2s in the mail. One worked after fiddling around with it quite a bit. The other one WILL-NOT-WORK. No matter what you do with it. A fellow vaper in my office has done everything he can with it too. Nothing. All we have right now if you screw it on and press the button on the Provari while it's upside down is it will squirt out lots of e-juice from the front onto your hand or whatever you got in front of it. We dare not try to vape off it but if we did we likely wouldn't get any vapor anyway.

Can people tell me what it is we're doing wrong and if nothing, then can someone recommend a better and more stable tank product for the provari that isn't $100+ since I'd like to buy like 5 and fill em up with different juice.

Last edited:

TheSystemHasFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Valhalla
Here's the deal.
Number one, whatever keeps you off the real things, even if you don't get satisfaction out of it, it's doing it's job.
Number two, pretty much A-L-L "plug and play" devices are garbage. They are built with the intentions of job security, as something is always gonna need replacing. Never mind the "performance" issues you notice when you go to good, sturdy, PROPERLY MADE rebuildables.
Again, keep in mind, this is only noticeable when one makes the successful switch to well set-up RBA'S/Drippers...

Taste IS subjective, and your mileage WILL vary...

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
I concur with the T2's. Provari plus 510 connector and T2 = perfect for me. And I don't fix what ain't broke.

The catch with this - like Rick aka Wallace and Grommet :D mentioned - the connector can be bad and = problems. Last one I got from Provape works like a champ (plus if there is leakage, it doesn't all flood straight into the battery). Yea.

I've tried the kangertech products from the t2 up until the protank 2. I liked the T2... T3 was okay.. Went downhill from there for the most part. PT2 is where I said "I'm done"
People are pretty amped up on the pro tanks and I never quite got why.
Using them on anything stronger than an ego always just dissapointed me.
Even with several different pg/vg ratio liquids. Always the same...

Take out a flavor wick... Still dry hits.
Take out another... Floody nonsense.
Put half a wick back.. Floods
Put half a half a wick back... Dryhit
..Put Pro tank back in box and tossed on bookshelf
Repeat for PT2

I guess if anything I should thank kanger for helping push me toward RDAs and RBAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
crxess and batatitude (even if I'm spellin' wrong without my other glassessessess) ........... helped me vape before I vaped at all; follow the wisdom.

Senile Old Man Don ............ I speak the truth.;)

RICKAJHOOh my gawd. Why didn't the war start? It shoulda. Oh. Nursie tells me, "Senile old goat. It's TRUE!" ---------> What Rick said - it IS on many threads. Consider it at least. MY PT2 and Mini PT2 run fine.

SIR RICK ELOQUENTLY SUGGESTED: "First of all, don't be blaming a PT for a Provari issue. It's well known that several devices have problems making contact with the Provari 510 connector - not just ProTanks. That, and the Provari 510 connector tends to block the air holes above the 510 threading on a PT. You can make this combination work, but the combination is far from ideal either."

"As to the non connection, the most common reason for this is the coil assembly not being screwed fully into the PT. This can happen with a lot of devices, not just a Provari. Back off the coil assembly from the base, screw the coil firmly into the PT base, try again."

"If you are turning your PT upside down and have complaints about liquid dripping out of it and/or getting a lot of liquid in your mouth that leads me to believe you removed the silicone cap off the vent tube on the coil assembly. That is not packing material - it's the seal that maintains a partial vacuum in the tank."

Sure as heck can't HURT. Swallowing all that juice over and over again though ...... why you do dat? I don't read about folks swallowing the juice - they STOP when it spits THAT much.:glare:

Last edited:

GetVaked

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2011
Wisconsin
IMG_20140131_122611.jpg

Here is mine and currently running 1.8 ohm on cotton. I have to hold it upside down from time to time and blow to stop the spitting.
I dont think a problem free atomizer exists.. Looks like my tank was not screwed in all the way, the gap is not that big.

Same problem on my Provari with toppers, I just sand down the connection, nice and flush.

Love the color of your ProV btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread