Kanger Subox Reverse Polarity Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
So, my mother has a subox (Kbox mini and Subtank) kit. I gave her some LG HG2 (authentic from Illum) batteries to use in it. These are 3000 mAh 20 amp batteries.

In any case, I was checking out her mod, took the case off and looked at the battery. I noticed there was a pit (or a hole) about 1 mm in diameter on the side of the battery. It looked like someone had stabbed it with a knife. I asked her what happened and at first she said she didn't know. Later she said "oh yeah I put the battery in backwards." I asked her if she tried to fire it after she did this and she said she did. At that point she said she heard a "pop." So she opened it to see what was wrong, realized the battery was in backwards and put it in the right way. I didn't notice any leakage from the "hole" in the battery but I went ahead and threw it away anyway. I am really lucky I checked her battery (just by chance) before she continued using it for days/weeks.

Anyone ever heard of this? AFAIK, the Subox is supposed to have reverse polarity protection. I don't like the sound of this.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Was the hole in the side of the battery or the end? It would very odd for the hole to be on the side. Cells are designed to leak gas from the positive end of the battery casing. You may or may not be able to tell if the battery has vented by observation. Rarely there are black marks from electrical arcing.

Best way to find out is to measure the battery voltage. A normal battery should be between 3.4 -- 4.2 volts. Anything under 3.0 volts indicates the battery has been over-discharged, probably from a thermal runaway venting incident.

Super Flex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
Tuscaloosa al
Yeah, that is worrisome.
I almost put it in the wrong way first time I opened a subox because I kind of expected the positive to be upwards.

I did the same only thing that saved me was I took battery out because I forgot to put the sticker on.

Reactions: OfTheBrave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread