Kanger Subtank dry hits but juice is still in tank!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbirdb

Apr 12, 2015
Northern Virginia
Anyone else have this problem? When I look at the coils there is a gap from where the cotton holes are and the bottom of the tank. So, as it empties I sometimes get dry hits. I can rotate the tank and wick the cotton again and it will hit normally. Is this a design flaw? I have the plus and the mini(and I love them both) and have the problem in both. Most of the time, when I'm changing flavors, I end up just cleaning the old juice out before adding the new. Can anyone explain this? Am I missing something?

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Why anyone would use those coil units is a mystery to me. I only use the RBA deck in the Subtank. It's the only reason i buy them. Why Kanger even makes them baffles me too. Clearly aren't going to work once the liquid gets below the wick holes. On the other hand the RBA deck soaks up all the liquid perfectly.

Why are you using those coil units, what's the point ?, really, what's the point ?.

Reactions: dbirdb

dbirdb

Apr 12, 2015
Northern Virginia
I'm using them as this was my first entry to subohm-ing with a capable device and I've been used to coils since the beginning. However, I bought the Kanger subs specifically for the RBA and look forward to using it and then start building my own coils. I was just curious if others had this problem. No problems with Atlantis, regardless of PG/VG ratio. Based on your comment, tho, Evan, it seems I have a lot to look forward to.

Reactions: Kanger Banger

Kanger Banger

Apr 22, 2015
USA
Why anyone would use those coil units is a mystery to me. I only use the RBA deck in the Subtank. It's the only reason i buy them. Why Kanger even makes them baffles me too. Clearly aren't going to work once the liquid gets below the wick holes. On the other hand the RBA deck soaks up all the liquid perfectly.

Why are you using those coil units, what's the point ?, really, what's the point ?.

I'm using them, because I think they get better juice-mileage (tootle poofer?) with their lower power requirements, because I didn't order enough juice to start with, and fear I might run out before I get more. Once I stockpile my juice-reserves, I plan on experiencing this sub-Ω world.

I also figured I'd use 'em up for my entry into this vape-world, since they came with my kit. I'm guessing I won't want to go back once I pop in the 0.5, then building my own coils once I get myself some spools of Kanthal. People keep saying sub-Ω'ing isn't for beginners, so I guess I'm playing it on the safe side, possibly. (I only just started yesterday.)

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I'm using them, because I think they get better juice-mileage (tootle poofer?) with their lower power requirements, because I didn't order enough juice to start with, and fear I might run out before I get more. Once I stockpile my juice-reserves, I plan on experiencing this sub-Ω world.

I also figured I'd use 'em up for my entry into this vape-world, since they came with my kit. I'm guessing I won't want to go back once I pop in the 0.5, then building my own coils once I get myself some spools of Kanthal. People keep saying sub-Ω'ing isn't for beginners, so I guess I'm playing it on the safe side, possibly. (I only just started yesterday.)

Obviously i needed some kanthal for this tank so i used an online calculator to find out what size wire i needed. So it said 24awg and i went with it. Got in through the post wired up a coil and it read about 0.3 before going to 0.2 and then my Vamo V7 wouldn't fire it up. That's when i realised the stock coils weren't 24awg. I took a guess and ordered some 26awg kanthal. The coil turned out to be 0.9ohm's with that. Was aiming for 0.5 with the same wraps as the stock coil. So now i'm going to go for some 25awg. The difference between the 24 and the 26 was 0.7 but i only need to lower what i've got now by 0.4 so 25awg should be perfect. I know it doesn't really matter but it was driving me crazy. As it is the 26awg at 0.9 creates a nice plume but i just want to reduce the volts.

Stupid part is it's now costing me £30 ($45.50) when it should have only cost £10.:-x

I've got a spare RBA deck and i've built another coil with 26awg wire and tested it without priming and it reads 0.6ohm's so maybe i'm wrong about the 25awg. I'll find out when i put it in tomorrow.

Last edited:

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines

u know u can build any resistance for the rba, it doesnt have to be a subohm build

mesamay2003

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2015
AZ, USA

Actually, a lot of people like the occ coils, primarily due to convenience and the increased airflow over the rba section...the occ coils are pretty easy to rebuild as well. Me...I use both...sometimes I don't have the time, or the desire to build and wick a coil...different strokes I guess...

Reactions: Metal Storm

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
Obviously i needed some kanthal for this tank so i used an online calculator to find out what size wire i needed. So it said 24awg and i went with it. Got in through the post wired up a coil and it read about 0.3 before going to 0.2 and then my Vamo V7 wouldn't fire it up. That's when i realised the stock coils weren't 24awg. I took a guess and ordered some 26awg kanthal. The coil turned out to be 0.9ohm's with that. Was aiming for 0.5 with the same wraps as the stock coil. So now i'm going to go for some 25awg. The difference between the 24 and the 26 was 0.7 but i only need to lower what i've got now by 0.4 so 25awg should be perfect. I know it doesn't really matter but it was driving me crazy. As it is the 26awg at 0.9 creates a nice plume but i just want to reduce the volts.

Stupid part is it's now costing me £30 ($45.50) when it should have only cost £10.:-x

I've got a spare RBA deck and i've built another coil with 26awg wire and tested it without priming and it reads 0.6ohm's so maybe i'm wrong about the 25awg. I'll find out when i put it in tomorrow.

I use 26g and get 0.6ohm's , nothing wrong with 0.9 though, just vape away and enjoy

Reactions: evan le'garde

Karrick

Oct 25, 2010
Sugar Land
Ok this is just my op. I use a 30 gage and twist 2 strands and wrap about 6 raps I get 1 to 1.2 ohms. I run it at 10 wats. I know that is low but I like a cooler vap. I also us a 80vg to 20 pg mix I have no problem with dry hits and the coils have been lasting about a week for me. I sould also say that I chain vap sitting at the computer all day. I use the new subox mini and sony 25r batts. I use two a day. and about three tanks of juice a day. Hope this helps.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC

I would guess not everyone likes to rebuild coils as a hobby ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread