Kanger SubTank Mini... Leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikecomp93

Dec 6, 2014
Middletown, NJ
I've had kanger SubTank Mini for less than a week. I have the stock 1.2ohm OCC coil in it. Today after using it for a bit and then again after a 2 hour class it started leaking. Not like the whole tank was leaking but where the airflow chamber is it started leaking out the top and bottom. It seems like it stopped but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue with this tank before?

Das Auto

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2015
Pacific NW, USA
This happens to my mini also. That pyrex tank seems to loosen up a bit over time. I've have gotten in the habit of tightening the tank every so often just to make sure it's not loose.
At first I thought my o-ring(s) may be leaking, but no, its just at the airflow. I don't think you have a defective tank, just par for the course!

Vape on!

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
My Subtank Mini developed a small leak into the airflow control, but it was entirely user error. I had put in a new coil and in order to prime it, I dripped a few drops directly into the coil. However, rather than dripping the customary 2-3 drops, I had dripped somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-7 drops. Of course this oversaturated the coil and since the bottom of the coil is open, the excess dripped out of this hole and into the airflow control, which in turn had started to slowly leak through the bottom of the 510 connector. Luckily I had caught it in time and was able to clean out the 510 connector in my iStick and cleaned out the tank bottom hardware.

Swordsbeer

Jan 15, 2015
Nederland, Texas
Both my sub tank and mini leak through the air holes in the occ coil, but never with the rebuild able section. The occ coils are slightly milled different then the rebuild part. On the bottom, there is a groove cut right above the o ring. on the rebuild part, it is deeper then the occ coils, not allowing the coils to seat as well.
Thing is, it will not leak all the time, just all of a sudden happens.

Last edited:

Mohammed.A

May 18, 2015
I had the same issue. I changed the whole coil and cleaned inside the base. Veeery minimum priming to the new RBA coil and still I can feel some leaking! Not sure if this is normal like before I oversaturated my coil or still it's leaking as I'm a beginner! Thanks for Jseah, I followed his advice and it worked but like I said, there is still some minimal leaking sometimes!

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I had the same issue. I changed the whole coil and cleaned inside the base. Veeery minimum priming to the new RBA coil and still I can feel some leaking! Not sure if this is normal like before I oversaturated my coil or still it's leaking as I'm a beginner! Thanks for Jseah, I followed his advice and it worked but like I said, there is still some minimal leaking sometimes!
You have to be careful when dripping a few drops down the center of the coil to saturate the wick. No more than 2 or 3 drops tops. Also, it is better to tilt the coil to the side and let the drop fall to the side of the coil rather than directly onto the center of the coil. Remember that the bottom of the coil is open for the air to flow in. One of the first times I tried priming the coil, I dripped it directly down the center onto the coil, and I figured that if 2-3 drops were fine, then 5 or 6 drops would be better. The coil became over saturated and the excess actually dripped down the center of the coil and pooled up in the bottom air flow base. The excess juice actually leaked out through the air intake holes.

Now when I prime a coil, I pay more attention to making sure that the wicking holes are saturated rather than dripping into the center of the coil. I will drip one drop onto each wicking hole (just large enough to form a bead the size of the hole). Then watch the juice wick into the hole. When you have a fresh coil, it will only take a second or two to fully absorb. I continue doing this until the wick will take about 5 seconds or longer to absorb the juice and you can see that the cotton material through the wick hole is well saturated. This typically takes about 4-6 drops. Never a dry hit unless I crank up the wattage too high or vape for too long and the wick can't feed the juice in fast enough.

Reactions: Mohammed.A

Notsgnivil

Aug 14, 2013
St Louis, MO
You have to be careful when dripping a few drops down the center of the coil to saturate the wick. No more than 2 or 3 drops tops. Also, it is better to tilt the coil to the side and let the drop fall to the side of the coil rather than directly onto the center of the coil. Remember that the bottom of the coil is open for the air to flow in. One of the first times I tried priming the coil, I dripped it directly down the center onto the coil, and I figured that if 2-3 drops were fine, then 5 or 6 drops would be better. The coil became over saturated and the excess actually dripped down the center of the coil and pooled up in the bottom air flow base. The excess juice actually leaked out through the air intake holes.

Now when I prime a coil, I pay more attention to making sure that the wicking holes are saturated rather than dripping into the center of the coil. I will drip one drop onto each wicking hole (just large enough to form a bead the size of the hole). Then watch the juice wick into the hole. When you have a fresh coil, it will only take a second or two to fully absorb. I continue doing this until the wick will take about 5 seconds or longer to absorb the juice and you can see that the cotton material through the wick hole is well saturated. This typically takes about 4-6 drops. Never a dry hit unless I crank up the wattage too high or vape for too long and the wick can't feed the juice in fast enough.
I've been thinking about moving to a SubTank Mini. I'll keep these tips in mind!

Mohammed.A

May 18, 2015

Thank you, those are valuable tips. I blame it on the vape shop guy, he didn't really explain the process clear like that. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread