Kangertech Protank Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nev NYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Bronx, NY
I've been tinkering around with these Protanks for weeks trying to figure out the leakage issue.. Certain juices leak while others don't. Most of the time if I get a leak, it's when the tank is almost empty. If you don't tighten the base super tight, it leaks.. If you pull off a wick from the coil, it leaks.. I use mostly 50/50 blends so I have no wicking problems.. For whatever reason, dark colored juices that aren't coil friendly seem to make it leak most often.. Once u hear the slightest gurgle, ur probably leaking..

M3mph1s

May 3, 2012
DFW
I loved my Kanger Protank for the 5 days or so of usage I got out of it. I'd dropped it once before, which I guess weakened the base. I set it down on my desk, it wobbled, and tipped over onto the desk. Yes, on the desk, not the floor, and the tank snapped clean off. I've been searching and e-mailing desperately to try and find someone with bases, as I refuse to shell out the full price of another set-up just for a base. If they lasted me longer, I'd be happy to buy another to run one on both mods, but it's a moot point since the tank has spent more time in my desk than on my mod. :(

Centurion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
East Coast USA
The base on the protank doesn't seem to be what's vulnerable to breaking. If anything it's probably the replaceable coil which, as some have noted, is a bit too airy. This could result in excess leaking too which has also been noted and which I have experienced a bit of. The evod coils do fit the protank base perfectly and they have a less airy draw, a much better draw in my opinion. The base itself is just a heavy thick electroplated chromed brass that has a silicone ring, and any other parts that would get wear are all on the replaceable coil.

boony

Verified Member
Jul 8, 2009
San Francisco
The base on the protank doesn't seem to be what's vulnerable to breaking. If anything it's probably the replaceable coil which, as some have noted, is a bit too airy. This could result in excess leaking too which has also been noted and which I have experienced a bit of. The evod coils do fit the protank base perfectly and they have a less airy draw, a much better draw in my opinion. The base itself is just a heavy thick electroplated chromed brass that has a silicone ring, and any other parts that would get wear are all on the replaceable coil.

What people are referring to are the 510 threads on the base of the ProTank. These are indeed very vulnerable to breaking. They can, and do snap off the base if the Protank is dropped while attached to a mod. So much so that Discount Vapers can't seem to keep enough replacements in stock.

Brewer26

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
NY

I tried using an evod head in my Protank today and it leaked all over. It seemed to fit well but I guess not well enough. Perhaps there was something not quite right with that evod head so I'll try a different one tomorrow. I just don't want to keep losing juice like that.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
A base on one of mine didn't have the air channels machined into it so there is zero airflow and therefore useless. At least I have a second one that I now have to swap the base back and forth on. But I can at least keep different juice in each tank just using the defective base as a cover so it doesn't spill out all over.

What is your Tank sitting on?
The Slots are air directors. The 510 fitting has holes in its sides and the coil is pass through. Only way to NOT get any air would be from the Tank sitting FLAT on your device, effectively cutting off air flow.

This could present an issue for Kamry with their Clone release as it has no air channels either.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
I tried using an evod head in my Protank today and it leaked all over. It seemed to fit well but I guess not well enough. Perhaps there was something not quite right with that evod head so I'll try a different one tomorrow. I just don't want to keep losing juice like that.

Please report back. I was thinking about picking one up just to give it a try. Others in other threads have said it will work. I have no personal knowledge so I am subscribed to this thread and will check back. THANKS!

Brewer26

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
NY
Please report back. I was thinking about picking one up just to give it a try. Others in other threads have said it will work. I have no personal knowledge so I am subscribed to this thread and will check back. THANKS!

Ok, I used a different evod head and still had major leakage. But! Upon close inspection the leak was coming from the seam where the glass meets the metal. So, I just tossed that tank in the garbage and tested on my other Protank. The evod head tightens the draw tremendously so much so that if I screw the whole Protank assembly with the evod head now on into my Provari I get absolutely no air flow whatsoever. There is no draw at all. I had to actually unscrew the tank from the Provari a half turn to get any draw at all. So now it appears I have an adjustable airflow depending how much I screw the tank down. So I can actually now dial in how tight a draw I want. That works for me for now I suppose. However, the base of the Protank has a small gap where it meets the Provari. So that may put a little stress on the threads. Not sure.

I am noticing more popping sounds though with the evod head as opposed to the Protank head so it still might be leeching out ever so slightly. So in conclusion, the evod head does tighten my draw considerably depending on how much I tighten the tank down but I don't think I will be buying anymore evod heads for this purpose. I will try the Teflon tape idea on the Protank head next to see how that works for me in tightening the draw.

WOW!!! Wish I had read this thread before purchasing a Protank. I might have held off a couple of months till Kanger got the bugs worked out. Purchased mine about 4 days ago and have been waiting for it to come in the mail. I suppose it will still be worth it. I've heard some really good things about these tanks. I guess I will have to use my Protank with ginger hands. I hope your search for a new base comes to fruition soon.

Glen Snyder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hey Guys... I have made a boo-boo :blink:, I managed to damage the base of my Protank... the part where the coil is installed (Base), I have search everywhere with no luck... I even checked their website and they are out of stock, any suggestions? :( Help!!!
Seems unthinkable one of the local shops in Miami doesn't have them in stock.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Ok, I used a different evod head and still had major leakage. But! Upon close inspection the leak was coming from the seam where the glass meets the metal. So, I just tossed that tank in the garbage and tested on my other Protank. The evod head tightens the draw tremendously so much so that if I screw the whole Protank assembly with the evod head now on into my Provari I get absolutely no air flow whatsoever. There is no draw at all. I had to actually unscrew the tank from the Provari a half turn to get any draw at all. So now it appears I have an adjustable airflow depending how much I screw the tank down. So I can actually now dial in how tight a draw I want. That works for me for now I suppose. However, the base of the Protank has a small gap where it meets the Provari. So that may put a little stress on the threads. Not sure.

I am noticing more popping sounds though with the evod head as opposed to the Protank head so it still might be leeching out ever so slightly. So in conclusion, the evod head does tighten my draw considerably depending on how much I tighten the tank down but I don't think I will be buying anymore evod heads for this purpose. I will try the Teflon tape idea on the Protank head next to see how that works for me in tightening the draw.

Good to know that it will at least work if the new ones don't come in to stock and there is a problem with the brass base. For tightening the draw, I slapped an air flow controller on and it works real well for tuning your draw. Me likey.

IMG_4550__81407.1354928780.1280.1280.JPG

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada

Tell that to the 6 protanks I have all snapped off at the base . Any hard hit to them from the side will snap the threaded part right off . Even on a hard desk if it slips from your hand and drops 6 inches and hits tank first .

discooby

Jan 27, 2013
Las Vegas
What people are referring to are the 510 threads on the base of the ProTank. These are indeed very vulnerable to breaking. They can, and do snap off the base if the Protank is dropped while attached to a mod. So much so that Discount Vapers can't seem to keep enough replacements in stock.

Dido. Short fall onto soft carpet snapped the 510 off leaving the threads in my vamo (easy to remove). I figured the glass would break before the post. Nope.

I just re-wicked it with 3mm silica, no top wicks, and it was working great. Never had a leak with it, but.. ugh! Just when it was perfect!

Can this be soldered?

boony

Verified Member
Jul 8, 2009
San Francisco
Dido. Short fall onto soft carpet snapped the 510 off leaving the threads in my vamo (easy to remove). I figured the glass would break before the post. Nope.

I just re-wicked it with 3mm silica, no top wicks, and it was working great. Never had a leak with it, but.. ugh! Just when it was perfect!

Can this be soldered?

Solder would mess up the threading, and would not be strong enough to weather the stress from screwing it on and off.

On a happier note, I found bases for sale at Free-Cigs for $1.89.

Also, if you're willing to pay $10 for shipping, you could get them direct from kangertech for a buck each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread