Kangertech RBA coil head , 1st Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
So I just got the Kankertech rba coil head.
Not happy with it.
1st- And formost, it read open load in all my mods as well as my ohm tester. The problem is, the bottom is a few mm shorter than a stock OCC coil head. It doesn't make contact with the 510 pin in the base. ( Whats up wit that ) The BS fix I did was add heavy gauge copper wire to the center pin in the 510 connection of the tank base. About 3/8" piece. Now it reads and works. Though what BS.
2nd- The wick holes don't line up with the coil. The wicking holes are 1/4" below where the coil is going to sit. Was probably designed to keep wicking with a low volume of e juice.
If it weren't for some mechanical ingenuity I WOULD BE ...... OFF
Well anyway
VapeOn

Reactions: edyle

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG

lamensterms

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2012
Australia
I've been hanging out for the new RBA for Subtank Mini. Bummer to hear of the faults.

Where did you get yours? Is it genuine?

I have found that while a lot of the newer Kanger products can have some faults, they are generally pretty quick to make corrections. So hopefully it doesn't take too long for them to sort this out.

Fit_Four_Life

Verified Member
Jun 14, 2015
... 2nd- The wick holes don't line up with the coil. The wicking holes are 1/4" below where the coil is going to sit. Was probably designed to keep wicking with a low volume of e juice....

I personally think the wick/juice flow holes should be even lower to the bottom of the deck to allow juice to feed the wick better as the tank gets very low with juice. I don't see why you think that it's a problem with how they are positioned from the factory. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just don't see the reason for your complaint with them not lining up with the coil. I haven't tried this generation subtank mini RBA, I have 4 of the previous style. As soon as I saw how high off the deck the wicking holes are positioned I'm hesitant on ordering them.

Last edited:

TKS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
The first complaint is serious, the second - I can't really fault, I really want to try this new section due to wick hole size. Could prolly build some serious subohm and have wicking keep up. Though it seems you must use 3mm bit so you dont have a shortage of cotton spread.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, where did you find this?

Reactions: Gahh

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
After vaping with the RBA coil head for a few days I'll go back to reconsider my first thought on issue 2, ( the wick holes not in line with the coil. ) There is no problem with my first build wicking, fact is, its wicking very nicely.
I would imagine using to much cotton can cause problems. The second RBA head I prepared for a quick change out has a bit more cotton ( as I prepped it using Kangertechs illustration. )
As for the post being a bit to short, the copper wire placed in the Kt. mini base has had no issues and works fine. On another note, I have not unscrewed the RBA coil head from the base so the contact has not had an opportunity to falter.

As to lamensterms questions. The coil it self and the tiny black box the RBA came in is marked KangerTech, where so many clone items will just come in unmarked bags and boxes. With that said, 99% sure its genuine.
I bought 2 at Fast Tech , around $6.00.

VapeOn

Reactions: lamensterms

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
The first complaint is serious, the second - I can't really fault, I really want to try this new section due to wick hole size. Could prolly build some serious subohm and have wicking keep up. Though it seems you must use 3mm bit so you dont have a shortage of cotton spread.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, where did you find this?
Your post here is true, the hole line up not n issue. The copper wire added to the base is a must if I wanted to use this new set-up.
BTW, Nice Clapton coil setup.
VapeOn

Joshuafeet

Feb 12, 2015
San Diego
I vape these tanks dry. The hole height isn't an issue.

Fortunately I haven't had connection issues.

I'm really happy with the STM.

Agreed on all points. I got the Subox mini kit for my girlfriend, she loves it and I love it. She was using the stock .5 OCC coil for simplicity sake, but I decided to take the RBA and at least wick it and give it a shot. WORLD of difference. She was getting dry hits using my DIY 80/20 juice with the OCC coil, but once I wicked the RBA, no more issues. It hits so super smooth and produces really nice and thick vapor, even with the stock set of coils in it.

I'm gonna do a twisted 28ga build in it, as I've heard it does well and I still have a decent amount already twisted laying around. Pretty excited.

Also no connection issues whatsoever, it works fine in both the 50w kbox mini and in my Sig 150w. She's able to vape the tank until it's basically dry with no issues.

Sorry to hear about your problems, @Gahh, but let it be known that those problems aren't universal, it may just be a defective unit.

mshinall

Mar 18, 2015
I just got the newest RBA version today from fasttech. Wicked up the installed coil with rayon and I'm off to the races. This thing rocks. No connection or wicking issues. Better vapor production, airflow, and flavor then the OG RBA or the occ coils.
e1d6479927a997aa142d04712bc4dad3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That screw locked base seems like a PITA. I don't usually have wicking issues with my mini RBAs. Is it really that much better?

heateris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2012
SEPA
That screw locked base seems like a PITA. I don't usually have wicking issues with my mini RBAs. Is it really that much better?

I couldn't get the OG RBA to wick correctly, so it got put away quickly.

All the screw needs is a half turn and the chimney slides off. No problem at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread