kangertech subox mini kit rdta coil help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1BC_Frast

Nov 13, 2015
My frist post!

Any way am not sure if anybody has post this yet, but i need help with my rda in my kbox mini tank. I am looking to build a duel coil build but not sure what type of wire/wraps to use to achieve a .5 ohms build. Also if anybody can explain to me why my rda gives me a dry/burnt taste after a 4-5 second drag. Also why cant i go over 25watts on my single coil at .5 anything higher and its automatic burnt taste.

Sorry in advance for all the questions(am new to vapeing) and if sombody already awnsered this in another thread plz send me a link. Thanks again for the help.

TheKman

Master of the Obvious
Nov 12, 2015
Melbourne, Australia.
Part one; What coils to achieve a target impedance: to this I say go here. Have a good poke around. For reference I target around 200mW/mm2 for most builds.

Part two; Why does my coil taste burnt: because the juice can't get to the coil fast enough. Tuning the amount of wicking material required for any given juice requires some practice, but it sounds like you simply have too much wick.

The wicking material has two functions: to supply juice, and to provide a certain amount of thermal insulation required to ensure that the juice can heat enough to vapourise. Too much wick means the juice can't flow quickly and there can be too much insulation: equals burnt flavour. Too little means the juice doesn't get hot enough: equals weak vapour.

You might think having too little wick means you can simply add more power. Sometimes this works, but other times you can collapse the wick and burn parts of it...

... Practice is the answer.

Edit: The kit comes with as Subtank Mini? There's really no point building a dual coil on the rda, there's more than enough power in one coil to satisfy the air flow potential of this tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1BC_Frast

1BC_Frast

Nov 13, 2015
Wow, thanks a bunch kman. Ill be sure to practice wicking. I just re wicked yesterday and i am no longer getting dry hits. There is a sweet spot when it comes to wicking, not to much and not to little.

And about the coils, i feel like the kanger tank that comes in the kit doesnt deliver a satisfying full lung hit. Granted am useing the pre-made coil in the rbta and the juice i use is 80/20 vg/pg.

TheKman

Master of the Obvious
Nov 12, 2015
Melbourne, Australia.
You're right about the less than satisfying hit from this tank. It's satisfactory, but I know I wanted more from it. Limited air flow means there's little you can do about it.

My current build is about as optimised as is possible and it still only manages about 25-27W. There's no point trying to get more from it.

1BC_Frast

Nov 13, 2015
You're right about the less than satisfying hit from this tank. It's satisfactory, but I know I wanted more from it. Limited air flow means there's little you can do about it.

My current build is about as optimised as is possible and it still only manages about 25-27W. There's no point trying to get more from it.
Have u tried other rdas on the kbox its self?

TheKman

Master of the Obvious
Nov 12, 2015
Melbourne, Australia.
Don't have one. My Subtank Mini sits atop an iStick TC40W. Theoretically the power source makes no difference assuming it delivers the intended power.

It appears to be practically identical to my Innokin Distrupor in specification. I build almost exclusively in Titanium because I can use VV mods and mechs to do pseudo temp control.

Let me know if you're interested in trying this, and I'll post pics.

Reactions: 1BC_Frast

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
A smallish dual coil rda will work fine. I have one intended for quad coils but the only unit I have with enough power is a mech mod. 50W is not a lot for a dripper.

I'm no rda expert; better open a thread in that section.
50w is good for a dripper. Basic builds that clock in at like .5/.4Ω dual coil will be fine 50w & under. I don't know where this assumption that you need a ton of power to get an RDA going comes from.

TheKman

Master of the Obvious
Nov 12, 2015
Melbourne, Australia.
Not an assumption, in fact, we're agreeing on the point. Smallish, dual coil, 50W...:thumb: I have two configured this way and they work extremely well at around 40-45W.

There are quite a few drippers available with large decks and lots of volume inside, it seems this is what attracts some people about them. If you want a good result from the larger units there's no substitute for more power. I purchased a UD W11, which has a relatively compact chamber for a quad coil RDA, but even four small coils required 70W to produce flavour worth comparing to a dual coil tank. Ideally 80W would have worked better, but this was already pushing my tube mech beyond it's design limits. I'm not going to bother using it again until I have a box mod capable of 100W or more.

1BC_Frast

Nov 13, 2015
Hey guys,
Recivied my cci archon about 3-4 days ago and i gotta say its the best $40 bucks ive ever spent. I finally have The full lung hits ive been looking for, and the taste is amazing!! At frist i didnt think my 50w kbox could handle it, turns out i cant even hanlde taking it over 40watts lol. Nice thick and cool smoke. I highly recommend this rda to everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread