Status
Not open for further replies.

madLyfe

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
United States
Nope, the bottom picture shows the ceramic surrounding the coil. The description also says that its the wicking that is ceramic. But maybe Kanger will also release coils where the wire is coated in ceramic (as we have seen promo pics of that coil type).

BTW: I just have to give Kanger credit for their product policy considering the Subtank Mini. Over 1 year after release and you can still vape your day 1 model with the newest coils. Imho the Subtank Mini is to sub ohm tanks what the Ego was to e cigarettes as a whole.

i mean there is probably cotton around that ceramic inside the coil.

Reactions: Shokker

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
I just joined the STM club, been along time Taifun user and just love these. I bought 20 of these since I am in a state that dosent allow online tobacco purchases and I know they are going to jump on this extra tax revenue. My daughter is vaping hers at 50 watts and no burning, incredible. First Rebuildable out of the box that just works. Thanks for all the info here, it took me a week of reading to get through this thread, but good luck to all after 8/8.

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2015
Netherlands
I just joined the STM club, been along time Taifun user and just love these. I bought 20 of these since I am in a state that dosent allow online tobacco purchases and I know they are going to jump on this extra tax revenue. My daughter is vaping hers at 50 watts and no burning, incredible. First Rebuildable out of the box that just works. Thanks for all the info here, it took me a week of reading to get through this thread, but good luck to all after 8/8.
Welcome to the STM club, good choice. I keep going back to the STM, no matter what other single coil i try.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Welcome to the STM club, good choice. I keep going back to the STM, no matter what other single coil i try.

Replacement parts and consistency are a big plus in my book. Wish more producers did that. Let's hope Kanger keeps that up.

Good luck. :)

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
Very good to know Mac, thanks. I already ordered some bell tanks and o ring kits from fastek but didnt see any insulators, do these have to be purchased through Kanger directly. Also made my first rba and works wonderfully, I have since retired my various Taifuns and Kayfuns and Lemos and drippers, these are just amazing so far and not a leak yet. After a week of use I keep expecting juicy hands and am so used to putting towels between my legs in the cars to catch leakage, very nice.Glad I found these in time, sometimes I guess I get lucky.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Very good to know Mac, thanks. I already ordered some bell tanks and o ring kits from fastek but didnt see any insulators, do these have to be purchased through Kanger directly. Also made my first rba and works wonderfully, I have since retired my various Taifuns and Kayfuns and Lemos and drippers, these are just amazing so far and not a leak yet. After a week of use I keep expecting juicy hands and am so used to putting towels between my legs in the cars to catch leakage, very nice.Glad I found these in time, sometimes I guess I get lucky.

A number of retailers were keeping stock of basic parts. That has died down. Dunno why. Likely the uncertainty we're in with regulation. However, Kanger has a direct retail site...Home - KangerTech US…where you may find most things you might need.

My beef with them is that they haven't maintained a minimum inventory of parts for rather recent introductions like the original Subtank. Things like base variations, v2 dual slot, which many users missed. They are better supporting actively sold models but their stock could be better there too. To encourage better sales to justify the inventory they could discount as they've started to recently. Now would be a good time to encourage consumer confidence.

Really love authentics and I'd rather see thousands of producers of limited quantity devices than thousands of clone makers. But they all need to understand that they need to support their hardware. Or we will make due with what we have, buy cheap…or if need be, make our own.

I agree, enjoy many of the sub tanks but the Kanger ST's are quite dry if you have enough wick. You can invert the tank and blow out the base rather easily of any minimal accumulation (this will restore proper conductivity, don't assume the battery's low if the vape gets weak). Chain a lot and it can happen if you don't give the build enough airflow (soggy wind).

Again, I'd rather get spares form Kanger than China bulk discounters. Knock-offs potentially compromise the reputation of quality they enjoy.

Good luck. :)

Reactions: schatz

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2015
Netherlands
...I already ordered some bell tanks and o ring kits from fastek but didnt see any insulators, do these have to be purchased through Kanger directly. Also made my first rba and works wonderfully...
Those Bellcaps are either acrylic or pmma from FastTech, some juices (cinnamon, acidic, citrics, alcohol etc) tend to crack them, beware. If you want to use a bellcap get an expensive glass one, but they break very easily.

If you want to buy spare parts, make sure the RBA's, coils or AFC's are authentic, these can safely be purchased by Chinese bulk discounters like FastTech (they're from Hong Kong actually). All other parts, like (some) tanks, driptips, o-rings, can be bought as clones and work without any problems.

These are the only two decent clones i found so far (i tried dozens):
$8.82 SUBTANK Mini Styled OCC Clearomizer - 4.5ml (better driptip)
$7.18 SUBTANK Mini Styled Tank Clearomizer - 4.5ml

But you have to put an authentic AFC and RBA in them, so you're better off buying a complete authentic tank:
$23.55 Authentic KangerTech SUBTANK Mini Clearomizer - 4.5ml

These are good toptank clones:
$8.29 Toptank Mini Styled Sub Ohm Tank Clearomizer - 4ml (complete tank with ok-ish AFC and driptip, the coil is rubbish)
$5.16 Replacement Tank Set for KangerTech Toptank Mini Clearomizers - 4ml (only the tank)

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
Thanks guys for the info, for these stms it seems fastek does sell genuine Kanger parts so I will try to stay with these. In the past 4 years I have been buying from fastek, many clones and orig. Kind of feel guilty about it because I try to stay with american made for most everything else if possible. I have come to have patience and have waited untill newer items were on the market for ayear or so and followed reviews about them and if they were good I would wait until they released newer type 2 or 3 versions. And then I would purchase for pennies on the dollar, I think I paid 4 dollars for some kayfun 4 clones from vapor bank a while ago, and my Taifuns I would always get for 10 bucks when sites were clearing out older versions. Patience comes with age I guess, one thing to look forward to with ageing. By the way, I am still on the same coils I started with over a week ago, very impressive. One is occ and one is rba that I replaced the stock coil with a 28g compressed 15 ohm and kgd.

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
Desert Vapes and Kidney Puncher, both in the PHX area, carry parts and assemblies and reasonable prices. We have to pay sales tax. Vapor Beast used to have the SS STM for around $24. Sweet Vapes seems to have good prices as well.

Platinum KBM with STM with RBA is the best setup I have owned.

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
Thanks for the recommendation, I usually mainly purchase online, much cheaper. That will probably change real soon though, I havent been in a local B&m in 3 years so it might be interesting? I also forgot to mention that my nicotine strenght requirements just went from 10 to 5 mg. so I guess my nic stash just doubled what a bonus. Any body alse getting this effect from switching to the STM, I thought my Taifuns were pretty efficient, wow who would have known.

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
O.K. its official, best tank so far. No leaks yesterday poolside and 110 degrees for 1 hour. Had the OCC and theRBA out there and no leaks first time a tank has done that. Today it will be 116, so we will see. This week I will do some altitude testing, will be traveling to San Francisco by way of Vegas, so will see and report.

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
I used to go from 500' to over 3400' twice to get to 2500' in 40 miles, once a week with my job. STM is the first tank that didn't leak. I used genesis tanks with cotton and rayon wicks for a long time before that because they didn't leak if upright. Also doesn't mind going from 80f inside to 120f outside.

Reactions: schatz

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
Yes we will, will be a good test. We used to travel to Colorado alot my son went to college there, and all my tanks would leak along the way. So this will be a nice change. One more question, when I rebuild the RBA deck I get a 1 ohm variation on two that I have rebuilt and put on my Provaris. They still vape ok but this has never occured with any other rta or rba that I have used. I tried taking apart and inspecting and trying several diferent coil builds but still a 1 ohm fluctuation and on 3 different Provaris. So I just went with it and am vaping them now and seemm to work fine, just wondering if any of you have run into this and if you found the problem? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread