Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    Managed to snag 6 of these with the 15% off code. Was a steal. Why are the white ones so cheaply priced at FT? Makes me wonder...

$15.98 Authentic KangerTech SUBTANK Mini Clearomizer - 4.5ml / 0.5ohm (15-60W) / stainless steel + glass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I'm thinking I want to strip the white paint off. Any tips?
    I just let it soak in iso alcohol for a few days and use small wood dowell to scrap the paint off. For the hard places I use a dental pick.

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
    Oct 1, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    where they listed as authentic? they usually pretty good on that claim
    Indeed they are authentic.

I just double checked, when I ordered they were on for $16 and now they are back to $22.

I don't have a clue why the white ones were marked down for that time period.

EDIT : My best guess is that they were trying to get rid of old stock, hence why it had the original rba+.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MacTechVpr

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2013
    Burbank CAlifornia
    Good to know. I bought one too when the price was cheap and it has arrived but I did not open it. Just put it in a drawer with all other vape stuff waiting its turn. If the one with the big holes is the original then which ones are the ones with no holes that have the RBA well that threads on rather than that tiny screw. I have a few of both and I wondered which came first

Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Good to know. I bought one too when the price was cheap and it has arrived but I did not open it. Just put it in a drawer with all other vape stuff waiting its turn. If the one with the big holes is the original then which ones are the ones with no holes that have the RBA well that threads on rather than that tiny screw. I have a few of both and I wondered which came first

The v1 was the orig slotted RBA, followed by an unsequenced improvement with a wider cross-cut channel. Then the ensuing varieties with drilled-holes. It's a difficult proposition to get flavor out of the Kanger's with the latter sadly, but not impossible.

Hope you're doing well C. G'luck. :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    I just got the STM and am taking recommendations for builds. So far I've heard 30g, 5-6 wraps, 2.5-3mm diameter. Does that sound about right? If not, how are you building coils for this tank?

Talkin' to me?…LOL Thought you'd caught my Christmas post…

Tensioned micro: 25/7/7 2.75mmØ=0.7995Ω
    17.12-22.06W @ 3.7-4.2V (4.63-5.25A) 134-173 mW/mm²

Just a bit cooler with 26 AWG at 8-turns and similar surface area. Awesome set up for the chain-vape at moderate power.

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life
    Just build a contact coil for your wife
    And from my personal point of view…
    Jus' a little strain will get ya through

Put one of these…

in one of these…

Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step.
    Protank MicroCoil Discussion!!

Good luck and Merry Christmas all. :)

Last edited:

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
    Oct 1, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    My tried and true is twisted 28 kanthal 5 wraps around 3mm. Comes out to .7-.8 and vape it at 20 watts.

If you have the most recent RBA+ though you might want to have a smaller id, like 2.5mm or even 2mm. Unless you want to use a cylindrical file and widen up the wick holes. I ordered these to widen the wick holes on the most recent RBA+ and they are perfect size for 3mm id coils.

$6.17 LODESTAR L614305 Alloy Steel Needle File (5-Pack) - yellow handle / 3*140mm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Edit: Mind you it might not matter depending on how you wick. I like to pull the wick completely through the wick holes so it's like one straight wick going through the wick holes and coil. This is why I prefer to have the wick holes the same size as my coil id.

Reactions: David Wolf

Grego25

ECF Veteran
    May 11, 2016
    I just got the STM and am taking recommendations for builds. So far I've heard 30g, 5-6 wraps, 2.5-3mm diameter. Does that sound about right? If not, how are you building coils for this tank?

Check out the answers and advice mactech gave me on the last page. I tried a couple builds and doing it the way he recommended gave much better results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2013
    Burbank CAlifornia
    The v1 was the orig slotted RBA, followed by an unsequenced improvement with a wider cross-cut channel. Then the ensuing varieties with drilled-holes. It's a difficult proposition to get flavor out of the Kanger's with the latter sadly, but not impossible.

Hope you're doing well C. G'luck. :)
    thanks. I like the V1's the best then!

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 3, 2013
    Burbank CAlifornia
    Congrats. 27AWG's not for off from 25, my ideal. But reason for lack of flavor is the relatively low contact surface area. That's quite a wide Ø for such a narrow gauge. So yes, you're short on heat capacity. You'll have to limit watts (or take shorter draws) as this element will go hotter quicker. It is a matter of time x power.

The thicker the wire the more power it can handle and also as often described here the longer it takes to ramp up. So for 27g lower your coil i.d. say to 2.5mm which is adequate for the ST but will tend to run drier as it can't deliver as much juice flow. It's a thinner garden hose. However, you will be able to add a turn or two and this will give you more wire-to-wick contact surface. It's this relative to power that determines potential overall output. Just like a stove top.

Good goin'. Good luck. :)
    Going back to my massive collection of these STM's for awhile as ADV's. I tossed them aside awhile back because I was not happy with the vape I was getting. Going to experiment today using S.E as a guide. I do not have 25gauge (I see that is your preference) I have 24, 26, 27, 28 and 30.
    I have never been successful using Steam Engine because I do not know what to put in the 'leg length' box. What is the darn leg length on these RBA for the STM?
    I am more of a flavor chaser than cloud chaser, I vape mostly 70vg. I also like 20-22watts. What is a perfect build given my info? Thanks MAc :)

Reactions: ChelsB

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Going back to my massive collection of these STM's for awhile as ADV's. I tossed them aside awhile back because I was not happy with the vape I was getting. Going to experiment today using S.E as a guide. I do not have 25gauge (I see that is your preference) I have 24, 26, 27, 28 and 30.
    I have never been successful using Steam Engine because I do not know what to put in the 'leg length' box. What is the darn leg length on these RBA for the STM?
    I am more of a flavor chaser than cloud chaser, I vape mostly 70vg. I also like 20-22watts. What is a perfect build given my info? Thanks MAc :)

Thx for the comeback C. Straight up center-line for this tank I believe you'll find at…

(Alternatively the common drill bit, 7/64" - 2.778mm, is a close alternative.)

Gotta love the profile tho…20W, 5A, 3.9V, .8Ω for this wind if you want some serious volume and density chaining. Mind you, I am porting the juice channel holes on the original RBA to a 16th. Likewise I am boring out the air holes in the pin slightly and sometimes elongating them to an oval. Depends on the airflow this build and wicking may require. I'm running mostly KGD in the PTM but Nextel and fatter builds need more air. Have Dremel, will travel…is my motto.

I worked up to 25AWG in an effort to find the best fit for the geometry and given this the best overall output. In other words, what's the best middle ground. Not just vapor diffusion, but best density. For those of us who think vaping is as much about getting flavor, this is important.

Following my thinking, consider anywhere from 6-8 turns, 2.5-3.0mm as your campground. Given the post spread 24AWG 8x will start to constrain the wind, 6x 26g to skew it. Both considerations if you want to avoid distorting whatever strain balance the coil you wound exhibits, however you wound it. I've found persistently across devices that creating unbalanced strain in the install has even a greater impact on performance than tension winding itself.

Here's where tension winding is helpful. Whether contact or open, a balanced element will readily reveal the impact of constriction or skewing at burn in. No surprises. It either fires rather uniformly end to end as you burn in or it simply won't. Time to drop another or rewind. Once the coil's distorted it's likely to be a sad performer.

We deserve the best.

Good luck C. :)

Last edited:

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    Just thougt I would let you guys know that love these things, that Ecig.com has them on sale for $9.99 only in white though. I order another 10 just to have, you cant get the bases and bell caps for that cheap on most sites.
    That's a really good deal. It costs me about $12 to make one from authentic bases and RBAs and a FT bell cap/drip tip.

I have tons of parts and can likely build a dozen or I would grab a bunch.

schatz

ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2014
    Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
    That's a really good deal. It costs me about $12 to make one from authentic bases and RBAs and a FT bell cap/drip tip.

I have tons of parts and can likely build a dozen or I would grab a bunch.
    I hear you, I bought 20 when vapehappy had them for 9.99 and found that I really love these things. First tank I have ever owned that dosent leak normally when wicked right, and they are real easy to wick right. So going forward I have deciced to stockpile these when I can get them cheap enough, you can always use them for spare parts.

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2015
    Netherlands
    FYI for the group MBV has silvers and whites on clearance for $13.99.
    Kanger Mini SUBTANK Clearomizer
    Looks like these are V1 from the photos.
    It's the V1 RBA on those pictures but the V2 base. The V1 base has 3 round holes at each side.

Have a look at this picture from a Dutch vaping forum:
    GjUUXtG.jpg

My current favourite build for the STM is 3mm ID, SS316L 26AWG 8/7 wraps slightly spaced, 2mm above airhole, using an Augvape Merlin drip tip, in TC mode at 420F and 21.5W on a Pico mod.

Reactions: ChelsB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread