KangerTech Topbox Nano - new to vaping, help! (settings and burn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holly25

Feb 6, 2016
I'm new to vaping and my friend set me up with the Kangertech topbox Nano, which doesn't have all that much readily available online outside of reviews. I smoke cigarettes half a pack and day and am trying to quit.

So, my questions are

What settings would anyone recommend because it burns. I have to take such little hits that its like I'm not even putting any vapor out. They told me because of my smoking to get 18mg liquid, could this be why?

I'm still fuzzy on the settings. It has watt and temperature control, I have them both down as low as they go because it is to much to use. Any advice would be helpful...I have tried reading as much as possibly but I am bew to this and I don't understand half of what people are saying so if it could be dummed down for me I would appreciate it lol. Thank you so much!

Reactions: dcfluegel

Holly25

Feb 6, 2016
I figured a picture would be a better idea, thank you!​

Attachments

• 20160206_101533_resized (1).jpg
    20160206_101533_resized (1).jpg
    171 KB · Views: 2,748

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
Pictures work marvelously. ;) So you have the 0.5Ω coil installed. Which at 7.5 watts shouldn't be giving harsh hits unless:
  1. The coil has been run dry or at too high a power setting and the cotton wicking in the coil is burned. Once a coil is burned, it never tastes right again. Or;
  2. The nic level or PG ratio (or perhaps both) are too high for your taste. 18mg juice is going to have a noticeable "throat hit" when vaped. Juices with high PG content also get more of that throat hit by the nature of PG.
I would probably start with changing out the coil. The Topbox kit should include a second 0.5Ω coil. Try installing that and prime the coil by dripping 4-6 drops of juice in the top of the coil to saturate the wicking and also a drop on each of the holes on the side of the coil. Fill the tank with juice and get everything tightened down. Close off the airflow control. Take a couple of hard pulls on the mouthpiece without firing the unit - you just want to pull juice into the coil wick. Wait a few minutes. Open the airflow ring back to where you get the draw you like. Start with the power at around 15W, take a few pulls, see how it vapes. Up the power slowly until you get a decent vape - decent vapor and flavor.

If it's still too harsh, then it's time to look at your juice as being the probable cause.

Holly25

Feb 6, 2016
All I will say to that is when you go into a store with someone who does it as well and you spend an hour like I did talking to someone at said store and both people encourage you in one direction and you don't know entirely what you do, sometimes the newbies may get in over their head, it happens. And I knew I would get people that basically make me feel stupid but I am trying, and being on here asking questions is the first step. I'm not pretending to know all about this hence why I am asking for help. So..thanks.

Now, it goes down to 7watts, and when Ive used other more experienced peoples vapes at higher settings I have been fine, so that leads me to thinking that I just need some setting adjustments and am looking for suggestions.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
What settings would anyone recommend because it burns. I have to take such little hits that its like I'm not even putting any vapor out. They told me because of my smoking to get 18mg liquid, could this be why?
A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are subohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.

06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
12 mg = 20 cigarettes
18 mg = 30 cigarettes
24 mg = 40 cigarettes
I'm still fuzzy on the settings. It has watt and temperature control, I have them both down as low as they go because it is to much to use. Any advice would be helpful...I have tried reading as much as possibly but I am bew to this and I don't understand half of what people are saying so if it could be dummed down for me I would appreciate it lol. Thank you so much!
Kanthal coils can only be used in power/wattage mode.
Nickel & titanium coins can only be used in "temperature control" mode.

Some "general" advise.

Priming a Coil

When you are using a new coil for the first time, the wicks (usually they are cotton) have to be primed well with juice. If they are not primed well the cotton will burn. Once the cotton is burned the harsh/burnt taste doesn't go away.

To prime the coil, drop 5-8 drops (sometimes less/more depending on the size of the coil head) of juice right inside the coil, another drop of juice in all the holes on the side of the coil. Put the coil in the base.
  • If Bottom Filling - Fill the tank and then screw the base back onto the tank.
  • If Top Filling (some of the newer tanks are top filled) - Screw the tank on the base and then top fill it.
Once you put the tank on the battery give it several unpowered primer puffs. This will make sure the wick is fully saturated.

Rule of Thumb

The rule of thumb for EVERY regulated vape device you'll ever own is the same when using in power/wattage mode. Start low power (voltage or wattage). Take a few hits, bump it up, couple more hits. Repeat until you find your "sweet spot". If it starts to taste funny, gets too hot or tastes burnt, back it down. Different flavors will have different sweet spots so you just have to experiment.

Charging

1. If your mod uses a 18650 battery, get a free standing charger. Plugging it into your computers usb port takes the battery much longer to charge and if the batteries protection fails you could risk blowing your computers motherboard.
2. Don't leave the battery charging when someone is not around to unplug it when it is done charging. I also would not charge it overnight for the same reason.

Todd Larson

Feb 6, 2016
Toledo, OH
I'm new to vaping and my friend set me up with the Kangertech Topbox Nano, which doesn't have all that much readily available online outside of reviews. I smoke cigarettes half a pack and day and am trying to quit.

So, my questions are

hey there Holly,
Im Todd if you need any assistance please feel free to message me I CAN HELP!

nancybout

ECF Veteran
What coil are you using and I recommend two things
Get more VG than Pg and plz drop the nicotine to 6mgs NO higher and you have to do direct lung hits.. Not mouth to lung like cigs.
My advise is try this you'll get used to it and if you MUST do mouth to lung grab an aspire nautilus unless something newer is out.
Good luck! Let me know if your ok.. Keep it up! Awesome friend btw I love that device and want one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holly25

Feb 6, 2016
Pictures work marvelously. ;) So you have the 0.5Ω coil installed. Which at 7.5 watts shouldn't be giving harsh hits unless:
  1. The coil has been run dry or at too high a power setting and the cotton wicking in the coil is burned. Once a coil is burned, it never tastes right again. Or;
  2. The nic level or PG ratio (or perhaps both) are too high for your taste. 18mg juice is going to have a noticeable "throat hit" when vaped. Juices with high PG content also get more of that throat hit by the nature of PG.
I would probably start with changing out the coil. The Topbox kit should include a second 0.5Ω coil. Try installing that and prime the coil by dripping 4-6 drops of juice in the top of the coil to saturate the wicking and also a drop on each of the holes on the side of the coil. Fill the tank with juice and get everything tightened down. Close off the airflow control. Take a couple of hard pulls on the mouthpiece without firing the unit - you just want to pull juice into the coil wick. Wait a few minutes. Open the airflow ring back to where you get the draw you like. Start with the power at around 15W, take a few pulls, see how it vapes. Up the power slowly until you get a decent vape - decent vapor and flavor.

If it's still too harsh, then it's time to look at your juice as being the probable cause.
Thank you so much that was very easy for me to understand and I appreciate it! I will definitely try to do that. I think the liquid is to high, I figured that as much after I got home and thought about it for a bit, so I am going to try a lower mg and hopefully that works. I just wasn't sure all around which part of it to start at and this was easy to read so thank you.

MattyVigilante

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2016
Northamptonshire
All I will say to that is when you go into a store with someone who does it as well and you spend an hour like I did talking to someone at said store and both people encourage you in one direction and you don't know entirely what you do, sometimes the newbies may get in over their head, it happens. And I knew I would get people that basically make me feel stupid but I am trying, and being on here asking questions is the first step. I'm not pretending to know all about this hence why I am asking for help. So..thanks.

Now, it goes down to 7watts, and when Ive used other more experienced peoples vapes at higher settings I have been fine, so that leads me to thinking that I just need some setting adjustments and am looking for suggestions.
Welcome to the forum Holly :)
Happy vaping!

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
Thank you so much that was very easy for me to understand and I appreciate it! I will definitely try to do that. I think the liquid is to high, I figured that as much after I got home and thought about it for a bit, so I am going to try a lower mg and hopefully that works. I just wasn't sure all around which part of it to start at and this was easy to read so thank you.
You are welcome. :) Also take a minute to read the post from @Susan-S - good info in there as well.
Some people can do 18mg on 0.5Ω setups, others can't - and I'm one of them at this point. 3-6mg is probably going to serve you better. Start with the 6mg.

Holly25

Feb 6, 2016
A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are subohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.

06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
12 mg = 20 cigarettes
18 mg = 30 cigarettes
24 mg = 40 cigarettes

Kanthal coils can only be used in power/wattage mode.
Nickel & titanium coins can only be used in "temperature control" mode.

Some "general" advise.

Priming a Coil

When you are using a new coil for the first time, the wicks (usually they are cotton) have to be primed well with juice. If they are not primed well the cotton will burn. Once the cotton is burned the harsh/burnt taste doesn't go away.

To prime the coil, drop 5-8 drops (sometimes less/more depending on the size of the coil head) of juice right inside the coil, another drop of juice in all the holes on the side of the coil. Put the coil in the base.
  • If Bottom Filling - Fill the tank and then screw the base back onto the tank.
  • If Top Filling (some of the newer tanks are top filled) - Screw the tank on the base and then top fill it.
Once you put the tank on the battery give it several unpowered primer puffs. This will make sure the wick is fully saturated.

Rule of Thumb

The rule of thumb for EVERY regulated vape device you'll ever own is the same when using in power/wattage mode. Start low power (voltage or wattage). Take a few hits, bump it up, couple more hits. Repeat until you find your "sweet spot". If it starts to taste funny, gets too hot or tastes burnt, back it down. Different flavors will have different sweet spots so you just have to experiment.

Charging

1. If your mod uses a 18650 battery, get a free standing charger. Plugging it into your computers usb port takes the battery much longer to charge and if the batteries protection fails you could risk blowing your computers motherboard.
2. Don't leave the battery charging when someone is not around to unplug it when it is done charging. I also would not charge it overnight for the same reason.
See, no one told me to reduce that mg by 50% as you just did, they just told me 18, and it was a person at a shop so I assumed it to be correct. But that makes sense. I am doing all that you stated in the charging area, I'm wondering if maybe the brand isint the greatest? It was just the general stock they had, maybe playing around with a different brand at some point.

Holly25

Feb 6, 2016
You are welcome. :) Also take a minute to read the post from @Susan-S - good info in there as well.
Some people can do 18mg on 0.5Ω setups, others can't - and I'm one of them at this point. 3-6mg is probably going to serve you better. Start with the 6mg.
That is what I am definitely going to do this evening is get a muuuuch lower one, as I am sure that will help, now that I have more of this information. Thank you all!

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
I'm wondering if maybe the brand isint the greatest? It was just the general stock they had, maybe playing around with a different brand at some point.
Not all juices are created equal. :yawn: Experimenting with juices and flavors is just one of the joys (and frustrations at times) of vaping.
Glad to have been of help, and again, welcome to ECF! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread