KangerTech Topbox Nano - new to vaping, help! (settings and burn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
That is what I am definitely going to do this evening is get a muuuuch lower one, as I am sure that will help, now that I have more of this information. Thank you all!
Hi Holly,

I do not believe that you mentioned this, and I don't see where someone suggested it, but did you prime you coil before you vaped on it for the first time?

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
Thank you so much that was very easy for me to understand and I appreciate it! I will definitely try to do that. I think the liquid is to high, I figured that as much after I got home and thought about it for a bit, so I am going to try a lower mg and hopefully that works. I just wasn't sure all around which part of it to start at and this was easy to read so thank you.
howdy - and welcome!
you are spot on thinking nic level is too high - with a .5 ohm coil, that 18mg is going to hit like getting smacked in the face with a wet brick...

may want to try getting a 6mg and a 3mg in a flavor you like... try the 6 - if it is still too harsh, mix some of the 3 in with it to tone it down... i started with 18mg, 12mg nic level on a 1.8ohm coil - when i switched to sub ohm (coil rating below 1.0 ohm - in my case it was also a .5ohm coil) I dropped to 6mg and got same amount of nicotine delivery, effectively

Holly25

Feb 6, 2016
howdy - and welcome!
you are spot on thinking nic level is too high - with a .5 ohm coil, that 18mg is going to hit like getting smacked in the face with a wet brick...

may want to try getting a 6mg and a 3mg in a flavor you like... try the 6 - if it is still too harsh, mix some of the 3 in with it to tone it down... i started with 18mg, 12mg nic level on a 1.8ohm coil - when i switched to sub ohm (coil rating below 1.0 ohm - in my case it was also a .5ohm coil) I dropped to 6mg and got same amount of nicotine delivery, effectively
Yeah, I'm gathering that I was silly buying that level. I am going to lower it and I will certainly update if that's the problem. Sounds like it is. I wouldn't say a wet brick....but maybe a regular dry brick lol. =P Thank you!

Reactions: dcfluegel

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
Yeah, I'm gathering that I was silly buying that level. I am going to lower it and I will certainly update if that's the problem. Sounds like it is. I wouldn't say a wet brick....but maybe a regular dry brick lol. =P Thank you!
sister, i wouldn't say it was silly - you were following the advice (not great) that you were given :) you are in the right place - keep in mind, you will get LOTS of suggestions and advice, but the key is finding what works for YOU - be patient and remember it is a process, and you are on the path

i tend to vape a 9mg in the morning (on a sub ohm coil) as a 'jump start' for my brainium, but mostly vape 3mg juice during the day - it helps that I mix my own, so that I can adjust easily if needed... keep asking questions - you can do this!

Reactions: suprtrkr

Holly25

Feb 6, 2016
sister, i wouldn't say it was silly - you were following the advice (not great) that you were given :) you are in the right place - keep in mind, you will get LOTS of suggestions and advice, but the key is finding what works for YOU - be patient and remember it is a process, and you are on the path

i tend to vape a 9mg in the morning (on a sub ohm coil) as a 'jump start' for my brainium, but mostly vape 3mg juice during the day - it helps that I mix my own, so that I can adjust easily if needed... keep asking questions - you can do this!
Thank you, I appreciate the friendly advice! I'm not the most patient person so it should be fun. lol

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Welcome to the board. You're getting the right advice, so I'll stay out of it, mostly. Yes, as has been recommended, lower your nic, try other juice vendors, try raising your VG in the juice, and be careful to prime your coils. The only thing I will add is a .5 ohm coil is pretty powerful, and your 18mg juice is not intended to vape that low. Most people subohming like that use 6mg or lower. I do, and my nic is 3mg. Lowering your nic should help, but raising your coil value into the 1.2-1.8 range is something you might like to try. If you do, remember they work best on lower watts, make less vapor, and you can usually tolerate higher nic levels like that as you will be getting less vapor per puff. Using your .5s at 7 watts underpowers them; that's why your vapor is thin, the coil is barely warm. A higher value coil will work better in the 7-15 watt range.

Holly25

Feb 6, 2016
Welcome to the board. You're getting the right advice, so I'll stay out of it, mostly. Yes, as has been recommended, lower your nic, try other juice vendors, try raising your VG in the juice, and be careful to prime your coils. The only thing I will add is a .5 ohm coil is pretty powerful, and your 18mg juice is not intended to vape that low. Most people subohming like that use 6mg or lower. I do, and my nic is 3mg. Lowering your nic should help, but raising your coil value into the 1.2-1.8 range is something you might like to try. If you do, remember they work best on lower watts, make less vapor, and you can usually tolerate higher nic levels like that as you will be getting less vapor per puff. Using your .5s at 7 watts underpowers them; that's why your vapor is thin, the coil is barely warm. A higher value coil will work better in the 7-15 watt range.
Thank you! I'm realizing that I didn't need that high of a nicotine level so I'm going to go with what you and others said about lowering it to around your range. According to the one post wth the level to cigarettes a day smoked, it needs to be lower lol. 18 is just to much.

Reactions: dcfluegel

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Thank you! I'm realizing that I didn't need that high of a nicotine level so I'm going to go with what you and others said about lowering it to around your range. According to the one post wth the level to cigarettes a day smoked, it needs to be lower lol. 18 is just to much.
I think you'll be happier like that. That should let you raise the watts a bit-- .5s usually are good in the 20-35ish range-- so it should work better and give you more vapor. Or try a higher coil in your current wattage range.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
also, keep in mind that the PG/ VG ratio will affect 'throat hit' or harshness... typically, higher PG = more throat hit (and pg carries flavors better) and higher VG = more vapor, smoother... i tend to prefer 70% vg, myself, but that really is completely personal preference - some folks can be sensitive to either too much pg or too much vg

you can always set that bottle aside, if you like the flavor, and get some 0 nic in same flavor to 'cut' it with (2 parts 0 nic, 1 part 18 nic = 6 nic)

greasegizzard

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2015
Arkansas
Welcome to the forum! I'm kind of new here, too. Lots of good folks and plenty of great knowledge to be had here! Good luck on the transition. Stick with it. I tried once before and fell back to cigarettes. I recently came back and jumped in to the bigger, better equipment right off, so there was a bit of a learning curve for me, too. But it was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread