Kansas Call to Action: Oppose ANY new tax on vapor products!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
It is likely that tax language regarding electronic cigarettes will be added to a tobacco tax bill in Kansas. As soon as more details emerge, we will update this alert. In the meantime, we are asking Kansas advocates to take action by sending a message to lawmakers urging them to oppose ANY taxes on vapor products.
Please take action NOW and send a message to Kansas lawmakers urging them to oppose ANY taxes on vapor products.

(Writing Tip #1) If you have a lot to say, please craft your email in a separate word doc and then copy/paste it into the field provided. If you take too long, they system will time out and you will lose your work.
(Writing Tip #2) Although we've provided a prewritten email with compelling talking points, we would strongly encourage you to edit the email because personalized communications to legislators are far more persuasive than form letters. At a minimum, PLEASE INSERT YOUR PERSONAL STORY (just a few sentences) in the text of your email.

Link to Call to Action: CASAA: Kansas Call to Action: Oppose ANY new tax on vapor products!

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
(Update - 06.01.15)

Tax language is on the move in the Kansas Senate TONIGHT. We are now receiving intel that this is a $0.20/ml tax on e-liquid that is being inserted into a budget bill. It is likely the bill will be voted on tonight, Monday, June 1st, 2015.

Please, even if you have already sent an email, send another message to your state senator urging them to oppose ANY extra tax on vapor products.

Please stay on alert as this will likely move on to the house for consideration tomorrow. We will issue updates as this bill moves through the process.

CASAA: Kansas Call to Action: Oppose ANY new tax on vapor products!

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
(Update - 06.02.15)

Last night, a budget bill amendment that would have imposed a $0.20/ml tax on e-liquid was debated on the floor of the senate. Most of the amendment was defeated including the vapor tax. However, as many Kansans are aware, there remains a very large gap in the state’s budget. Although this amendment did not succeed, the budget shortfall remains and lawmakers will be scrambling over the next few days to find untapped or underutilized sources of revenue. It is likely we will see an attempt to tax e-cigarettes again.

The next few days are likely to be chaos in the Kansas legislature which is why it is vital that harm reduction advocates reach out to lawmakers and urge them to oppose any attempt to tax e-cigarettes.

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
JustJulie...I have no clue if I am a member or not but I get emails to petition from CASAA often and do my duty in respect but what puzzles me is how they got my email addy? Thus I wonder if I joined up and did not realize I joined.
Any way to determine if I am?.....BTW....I am a Des Moines native....class of 75 H.H.S.:)

Thanks in advance!

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
(Update - 06.08.15)
Last night (Sunday, June 7th, 2015), the Kansas Senate approved a bill that would impose the 20 cent per milliliter tax on e-liquid. Fortunately, the tiered distribution system that was mentioned in previous updates was stripped out of the plan.
The bill now moves to the house and will be voted on around 2:00 PM today.
It is absolutely imperative that everyone in Kansas oppose this tax. Please take action now by sending your representative a message urging them to oppose ANY tax on vapor products in Kansas.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
JustJulie...I have no clue if I am a member or not but I get emails to petition from CASAA often and do my duty in respect but what puzzles me is how they got my email addy? Thus I wonder if I joined up and did not realize I joined.
Any way to determine if I am?.....BTW....I am a Des Moines native....class of 75 H.H.S.:)

Thanks in advance!

Because we charge no membership fees, the easiest (not to mention most cost-effective) means for us to track our membership is via our email database. If you get emails directly from CASAA, then you are a member.

Once you participate in any Call to Action issued through our CQRC system, your contact information automatically gets added into our database and you become a member. :)

(I'm not a Des Moines native, but it's now my much loved adopted home. We won't be here forever, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the time we have here. <3 )

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
Because we charge no membership fees, the easiest (not to mention most cost-effective) means for us to track our membership is via our email database. If you get emails directly from CASAA, then you are a member.

Once you participate in any Call to Action issued through our CQRC system, your contact information automatically gets added into our database and you become a member. :)

(I'm not a Des Moines native, but it's now my much loved adopted home. We won't be here forever, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the time we have here. <3 )
OK great I was just curious more than anything, I just get involved on so many levels on the internet I often loose track....We are in the midst of our Reps making town hall meetings and I aim to make it to one just to show my opposition to this 20 cent per ml tax! It really is just a backdoor attempt in raising revenue for the budget shortfall KS is having IMHO!

But the fight will continue!

Remove the far left from Des Moines and you have a wonderful city to grow in! :D

Thanks Julie!

Reactions: JustJulie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread