Kayfun 3.1 ES - setup re-wick - re-coil -- My Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darthpistachio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2012
United Kingdom
I've been experimenting with various methods for setting up this beast for a while now and I think I have one that should be fool proof almost every time - I've done it like this for about the last 5 re-coils and it's been spot-on every time... This is a variation on the figure of eight method but without the waste and the faff required for coiling.

First I start off with some 0.2mm Kanthal and two pieces of 1.5mm Eko wool that's been torched (torching the silica stiffens it a teeny bit as well as removing any 3rd party stuff)
01.JPG

Then I do a nice tight 4/5 wrap as shown, wrap the coil onto the silica so that the two pieces lay side by side
02.JPG

This is attached to the kayfun then by pushing tight against the post block and screwing the coil tails in place
03.JPG

Then lift the coil up so that the wicks sit on top of the screws - ensure no coil touches the screws by adjusting with a pin screwdriver tweezers etc...
04.JPG

Ensure that the wicks are sitting side by side from the top as shown....
05.JPG

At this stage I prime the wick with some neat VG I keep in a small needle dispenser bottle - I have found that this greatly helps the wicks to start working with no fuss once everything is finally setup. I don't overload the wicks just load them a little bit to help with positioning and cutting a little later on....
06.JPG

Next I shove the wicks up into the barrel body and attach it leaving the wicks poking out of the top. I saturate them a little bit more with some neat VG
07.JPG

Then with some nail clippers I clip the wicks to about 5-8mm above the top of the barrel like so:
08.JPG

Then with a tweezers I manipulate the wicks down into the fluid wells like so - one tail either side and pulled against the central post so that the wick doesn't block the fluid entry channels. The prior wetting with VG greatly assists in doing this at this stage.

09.JPG

The coil works out at 2.0 - 2.1 ohms every time - higher ohms can be achieved with the use of 0.16 kanthal and lower ohms with 0.25 Kanthal...

10.JPG

Finally I get the juice I'm going to use and put approximately 3 drops in either fluid well until it begins to weep out of the bottom of the fluid channels - assemble - fill and vape

This provides all the benefits of the popular Figure of Eight method in use but without the wastage of wick and the faff required in the actual coiling process. - It achieves exactly the same effect regards wicking as the figure of eight method - you just need a bit more attention to detail when placing the wicks to ensure no channel blockages occur. - I get excellent wicking - flavour and vapour production with this set up

Hope this helps anyone having problems coming up with a reliable method for wicking this atty..

heysteve

Verified Member
Help; where can i get those needle nose plastic bottles ???
google here i come

i ordered a couple of these: 10ml Empty Plastic Needle Bottle
they also have just the plastic needle fill tips but i wasn't sure if they were the same ones that came on these bottles and the bottles were recommended by other kayfun users so i just went with those.

Darthpistachio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2012
United Kingdom
lower coils in relation to the air inlet tends to provide more vapor and less of a throat hit. The higher the coil gets from the air hole tends to make less vapor and increases the throat hit.

I don't like to have the coil too close to the air inlet because if the wick gets too saturated and the liquid bridges the gap it will just pour down the air hole and fill the collector tank...

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA
Great idea for a build, I'm gonna try it! I have only been vaping for about a month, day 19 without an anolog after 30 years of smoking, and already have a KFL+ on an EHPro EA mod...lol. On my third build now and the coil is by far the best but the wick just isn't picking up flavor. I'll try this next time, looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread