Bournemouth, UK
Tools required:

1 x Flat nose tweezers
1 x Nail clippers
1 x Philips screwdriver
1 x Blowtorch or Lighter
1 x Mandrel or a 2mm thick drill bit
1 x 14 Gauge needle
1 x 5ml syringe fitted with a 18G Green Luer Lock taper tip or you can use a 20ml Oval Luer Lock bottle, cap & tip
1 x 0.25 Kanthal (around 14cm)
1 x Organic cotton wool, this is what i use: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005L6JN9M/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tools_zpsbc0cbc8b.jpg

Preparation for the kayfun:

Clean all parts in warm water and thoroughly dry and you should now have this:

Shouldnowhavethis_zpsa290ee58.jpg

Before starting make sure your hands are clean as anything on them like grease etc will be going onto the wire/wick and filler.....you don't want that.

Building the kayfun:

Step 1: Hold the 0.25 Kanthal and torch the coil with your blowtorch or lighter until glowing red, this will make the wire less springy and easier too handle:

Step1_zps4466c5c5.jpg

Step 2: Wrap the coil around a 2mm mandrel nice and tight (i do around 9 turns, this should give about 2.0 ohms resistance) and then push all coils very close together with your fingers towards the mandrel’s edge so they are nice and snug next to each other and keep holding the legs tight at the same time:

Step2_zpsd1c9324e.jpg

Step 3: Gently pull the coil off the mandrel and at the same time holding the legs of the wire place into the tip of a pair of tweezers:

Step3_zps80b498c2.jpg

Step 4: Once all held in place in the tweezers flame the coil until red hot and hold tight with the tweezers until cool, do this a couple of times....should end up looking like this:

Step4_zpsbcdcd95c.jpg

Step 5: Place the 14 gauge Blunt Needle into the centre of the coil and adjust the legs of the wire so that they are facing north and south:

Step5_zpseaa133e7.jpg

Step 6: Place the coil between the posts and wrap the legs around the screws and tighten up, once all in place make sure the coil is dead in the center and lined up with the air hole, if not reposition it with your tweezers, also make sure the coil is NOT touching the base or it will short:

Step6a_zpsc262cedf.jpg

Step6b_zps260a8b83.jpg

Step 7: Get the end of each hanging wire and wiggle them off for a clean snap:

Step7_zps4f2ecb17.jpg

Step 8: Place the base onto a device and check the resistance is fine, you can also do some dry burns too burn of any remaining impurities and at the same time you can use your tweezers too squeeze the coils even tighter together (don't touch the coils with anything whilst you are firing the device):

Step8_zpsa3d33afe.jpg

Step 9: Now get some cotton wool and pull apart a bit that will be enough for the wick, not too much and not too less....this bit is by judgement so you need to guess right, If you use too much cotton the coil will strangle it and it won't wick fast enough, if you use to little it will wick too fast and you may get leaks, Get the cotton and roll into a tube, not too tight and not too loose, then feed it through your microcoil, if the microcoil moves out of place once you have fed your cotton through just adjust it back with your tweezers:

Step9a_zps7b99eafc.jpg

Step9b_zps7e4e845d.jpg

Step 10: Now trim the cotton wool and make sure it is not too short and not too long, it should be touching the base and NOT blocking the juice channel:

Step10_zpsf78bfb21.jpg

Step 11: Wet the wick with your chosen juice, best to do this as you can now easily adjust the cotton so that it sits nice and snug at the base and just behind the juice channel:

Step11a_zps71d61eb0.jpg

Step11b_zpsc9ae19f5.jpg

Step 12: Assemble it all back together, get your 5ml syringe fitted with a 18G Green Luer Lock taper tip or you can use a 20ml Oval Luer Lock bottle, cap & tip and fill up with your chosen juice, when filling the syringe i tend to suck some juice up and release it back into the bottle just to get rid of any air that is inside the syringe:

Step12_zpsf4df7999.jpg

Step 13: I fully close the airflow control and hold the Kayfun upside down at a 11 o'clock position and then push my 5ml syringe fitted with a 18G Green Luer Lock taper tip or you can use a 20ml Oval Luer Lock bottle into the filler hole nice and secure:

Step13_zps620819b5.jpg

Step 14: Fill the Kayfun nice and slowly until all you see is a small air pocket of space left, don't fill any further than this:

Step14_zpsbd1e7252.jpg

Step 15: Once filled slowly turn into the upright position, dry vape on the kayfun and at the same time adjust the airflow screw until you find the right air draw for you, Once you have found the right draw for you do some more dry vapes to speed up the saturation of the wick, enjoy your newly wicked Kayfun 3.1

Step15_zps3ea12034.jpg

NOTE: This guide was done with the thinnest of juices: WATER …......and not a single leak

P.S: I build the Kayfun 2.1 the same way except I use the 1.5mm part of the mandrel for a smaller coil.

Hope this helps

Reactions: OhTheAgony

ph0kused

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Orange County, CA, USA
Surprised nobody has commented on this awesome guide! Thank you so much for taking the time to upload all the pictures of your process!

I was trying to figure out why mine leaked, and now I know why ~ thank you Romelee!

I have a 3.1 clone, so mines a tad different. I don't condone buying clones, I feel it ruins our market. However coming from RDA and the sub-ohm culture, I felt more secure buying a $30.00 clone to see if I'd like the whole tank microcoil setup. My only gripe with this device is restricted airflow.

I'm a direct lung hitter, and this thing is way too restrictive. I hop future generations will allow for easy dual micro coil setups along with bigger airflow.

I do have a question Romelee - when filling up through the juice hole - Step 13 & 14 - Are you putting your finger over the airhole to create a vacuum?

Last question - I like lower ohm setups, the lower the better - im trying to get to the .9 / 1.0ohm range - any vapers know how many wraps (roughly) of 28g kanthal should put me near that range?

Last question - I like lower ohm setups, the lower the better - im trying to get to the .9 / 1.0ohm range - any vapers know how many wraps (roughly) of 28g kanthal should put me near that range?

5 wraps of 28 gauge around a 5/64 drill bit gets me around .086 ohms. 6 wraps gets me right around 0.98 ohms.

ba9ymymu.jpg

bakerb87

Sep 8, 2013
United States
I use twisted 28 gauge kanthal, 6/7 wrap with cotton. It comes out to about .57 -.6 ohms.

Is there any way to get more airflow running through this device? I just got an Hcigar 3.1 clone to see if I liked the Kayfun style atomizer. So far I am absolutely loving it with the micro coil/cotton build, but I'd love a little more airflow. I think I saw someone who drilled out the drip tip hole..

numbskull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
SoCal
Bakerb87-I usually sub-ohm my drippers, so when I went to the KFL+ I tried the same thing. I found that even with my mechs, the KFL+ is best around the .8 range (IMO) I have seen people do .5-.6 build, but they drilled the air flow hole out(to 3/32 or aprox 2.3mm). Depending on where you live, some B&M's might offer this service, or you could always DYI. Was thinking of having it done to mine until I started to build micro coils in the .8ish range. Give it a shot, you might be pleasantly surprised :D

OP- Thank you for the amazing guide! I love how detailed it is and the fact that you took the time to take and post pics! Cheers!!:vapor:

Last edited:

dhaiken

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This thread saved my ... today.
Got in a HCigar clone today and didn't want to wait to research and I knew little to nothing about a Kayfun 3.1.
Remembered this tutorial and had subscribed to it previously and found it fairly quickly.
Built mine w/triple twisted 32ga at 8 wraps yielding 1.2ohms.
On the Provari at 3.2v w/my DIY Horchata Cappuccino, it is to die for!
Kudos to you sir! An awesome resource.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Best Kayfun tutorial I've seen yet! Wish I found it yesterday. Picked up a Tobeco clone of the lite version and was so excited to get it running I didn't do any research at all. Leaked like a sieve after I top filled it. I did get it working, but it would be working better I imagine if I found this first. I'll definitely so it this way when my Hcigar comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread