Kayfun 3.1 microcoil and cotton guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

David1975

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2014
Northlake, IL, USA
Just picked up an hcigar kayfun 3.1 and I see why everyone fills them from the top. Well, determined to use that fill port I broke out the magnifiers and lights to see why it doesn't work. And I found it.... on mine at least. First problem, when the holes are cut in this they resemble the letter L. One leg of the L is exposed inside on the deck and the other receiver a spring, steel ball and cap (making up the check valve). The problem here is then the cap is pushed in, it peals away metal behind it. These fragments get stuck and prevent the ball from fully opening. So, they must be cleaned away with a pick and pressurized water, leading to the second problem.... your needle. A standard blunt tip will not work well. When the blunt tip contacts the ball inside it acts like a flat surface and all but plugs the tip. Take a purple 16Gauge gauge blunt tip and sand down 2 sides a bit. Now, take this modified needle and a syringe, fill with water and use it to pressurize the water through the check valve. You will need to do this under running water and push and pull water through the valve while also using a piece of wire from the top deck area hole breaking up the "chunks" of metal. Took me about 5 minutes to clear it all out, but you wouldn't believe how much metal came out. If you can't use the valve on yours, I would suggest trying this even if you don't want to use it.....only reason I say this is because I'm not sure if that metal inside can rust or become dislodged over time, and could be the reason many have said their valve leaks. After doing this, I can take 4 mil of juice in a syringe and just push it through fast with absolutely no leaking.

Flyfisher

Jul 9, 2014
Germany
Awesome tutorial, i work in a vape shop in germany and just got my original svoemesto 3.1 sitting on my diy oak mech mod. Spent two hours lastnight trying to get my first good setup with no success (kind of embarrassing to admit) but after this 15 minutes later she is vaping sweet with my crazy liquids gepresster schlumpf. I am using .40mm ni-chro at 1ohm awesome flavor and throat hit

HoneyGram57

Mar 31, 2014
Kentucky
Need some help with the Mini Kayfun build Please.
Made my first micro coil with Kanthal 28, beautiful little thing, tested out at 1.68 ohm. Then I clipped the leg wires & it popped out from the screws!:facepalm: The mounting screws on the mini are so tiny, Any advice on what size Kanthal I should use with the mini Kayfun? :confused:
BTW, you guys make this look WAY too easy...I'd worked so hard to get that coil in place when it popped I screamed!8-o

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Nice tutorial, Romelee! I've been aligning my coil parallel to the screws and curving my wick tails down and along the side of the deck. That works, but it's not as predictable as I'd like. I'll try your way and see what I get. Having the fibers aligned vertically and all touching the deck makes more sense for absorption than having the fibers lay on the deck perpendicular to the juice channels.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Where did you get your mandrel?

...I found it....it appears that these can be found at beading hobby and craft shops.

I was hoping to find that mandrel at Hobby Lobby. They couldn't find it even with a picture of it on my phone! If you know of an online source, please post it here.

Jerry J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
Portland, OR
I was hoping to find that mandrel at Hobby Lobby. They couldn't find it even with a picture of it on my phone! If you know of an online source, please post it here.

I got mine at Michael's. I just checked their website and they don't have the set that I bought listed. Mine was only $8 at the Micheal's and it looks like there are several in GA. The set was on a rack of tools for beaders.

Nice looking Les Paul! I have a '68 Gold Top that is a smokin' guitar with those P-90's.

Just got my Kayfun today, this tutorial is a godsend because I can`t get it to work properly, the flavor is horrible! I have a microcoil at 1.5ohm 28ga to be honest all I can taste is cotton, like if I was sucking on my tshirt.

Maybe you can post pic to let thw veterans (not me) have a look on your setup

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've used this method since I saw Romelee's post here. It wicks like crazy and I usually get 3 or more days before I need to re-wick and dry burn. It's the only method I use now. Even with plain old organic cotton I'm getting the best vapes I've had from my Kayfun!

BTW, the mandrel is available from Amazon. Just search "all departments" for step mandrel and you'll see several styles. This one is $6. It has 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm steps.

http://www.amazon.com/Step-Mandrel-...8&qid=1412091002&sr=8-4&keywords=step+mandrel

31AMmQTNOyL._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I got mine at Michael's. I just checked their website and they don't have the set that I bought listed. Mine was only $8 at the Micheal's and it looks like there are several in GA. The set was on a rack of tools for beaders.

Nice looking Les Paul! I have a '68 Gold Top that is a smokin' guitar with those P-90's.

Thanks, it's a '56 Goldtop re-issue from Epiphone. I have a '92 Wine Red Gibson with gold trim and an Epiphone custom shop Les Paul flametop. I've customized the flametop with Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups and a replacement bridge. I did fret leveling on both my Epi's and that makes a world of difference in the action.

From the Man Cave studio :) This picture was taken before the SG and the Tele were added.
webP7240109.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread