Status
Not open for further replies.

regal55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2013
york,PA
I have been struggling building a KFL+ for a couple months dirst it was dry hit after the inition bottle soak. Now its flooding.

I notice when I fill I get juice out out of the bottom air hole. I have constant gurgling.The vapor on the exhaul is puny.

What causes flooding in a KFL? What can be done to prevent it?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Most times flooding / leaking is due to a bad seal so the vacuum can't be established.

Empty it (if it hasn't already emptied itself!), and take it completely apart. Check all the o-rings, especially the small one that the chimney top goes through. Replace any that look bad. And there may be one on the fill screw as well.

Re-assemble. Cover the air intake and draw gently. If you get any air flow, you still have a leak.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
And keep in mind that there is a fine line between too much wick and not enough. Dry hits usually mean that you've got too much wick, and it's blocking the juice flow channels on the bottom. Flooding usually means that there isn't enough wick tucked into those channels to keep the liquid at bay. There are quite a few videos on youtube of how to do it properly to avoid those problems.

I use Silica wick, and when I put the bottom half of the chimney on, I pull the wick up and then trim it off as close to the chimney edge as I can. Then I wet those ends and tuck them down into the channels. Works every time for me. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread