Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Just a note of caution re the vid.

Notice that he is using a pair of CERAMIC tweezers to squeeze the coil. If you are using regular metal tweezers, make sure that you do NOT squeeze or otherwise touch the coils WHILE YOU ARE FIRING THE COIL/MOD. Doing that can cause a short circuit, which is a bad thing. Ceramic tweezers are non-conductive - the ceramic portion anyway - so you can fire and squeeze at the same time.

That said, having a pair if ceramic tweezers is convenient, but far from necessary.

There are lots of generic coil building videos on YouTube. Please watch a few. He is making a touching coil in the vid. (Try searching for "build microcoil" for the basics of touching coils). They were all the rage in the past, but many people seem to prefer spaced coils recently. Either way is fine and is really a matter of personal preference.

Reactions: lauragal

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Hi all,

I'm extremely new to rebuilding and not sure I'm capable. I'd really like to buy a Kayfun mini, and noticed on the link provided that there is an option for pre-built coils. Does this mean I can buy the Kayfun and not have to build the atty myself? In the drop-down it gives several different pre-builds. If this is the case (that I wouldn't have to re-build), can anyone advise me on which type of coils are best? i.e. Clapton vs Helix vs Kanthal?

Sorry if this is posted in wrong section but I couldn't figure out where to post this - thank you!

Kayfun Mini V3 SvoeMesto - Authentic - Ships 24 hrs from NY

Laura

Here's a link to a thread where there are plenty of kind people who can advise you about the V3.

Authentic Svoemesto Kayfun Mini V3

L-TR41N

Feb 24, 2016
California
I watched this video on youtube that looked pretty good about rebuilding the Kayfun - looks simple on the video but I'm sure it will be trial and error. I'll take a look at Lightning Vapes tomorrow as it's 2:30 a.m. here and I need to get to bed! This certainly is time consuming! Thanks for your help

For someone who is just learning to build and starting out with a Kayfun mini V3, I would recommend using kanthal as opposed to any other wire material to learn with. 30g-26g kanthal would be as far as you really need to go even after becoming familiar with building (28g is a great place to start). Using organic cotton balls from your local store is fine since it's readily available and also where I started, but each new build/cotton change will have somewhat of an off-putting cotton taste for the first full tank of juice. My preferred wicking material to this day is Koh Gen Do cotton. However, I spend just a little extra on higher grade KGD to not have that cotton taste from the start. I buy a lot of my building material from Ebay. Lightning Vapes can be found there and their prices are pretty stellar. I would also recommend the Coil Master DIY kit V2 (There are clones of these kits so be weary of fakes). MyVaporStore.com has them for $34.95 before tax and shipping. Best advice is to continue your research and watch as many tutorials on Youtube as you can. Have fun!

lauragal

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2008
New York
For someone who is just learning to build and starting out with a Kayfun mini V3, I would recommend using kanthal as opposed to any other wire material to learn with. 30g-26g kanthal would be as far as you really need to go even after becoming familiar with building (28g is a great place to start). Using organic cotton balls from your local store is fine since it's readily available and also where I started, but each new build/cotton change will have somewhat of an off-putting cotton taste for the first full tank of juice. My preferred wicking material to this day is Koh Gen Do cotton. However, I spend just a little extra on higher grade KGD to not have that cotton taste from the start. I buy a lot of my building material from Ebay. Lightning Vapes can be found there and their prices are pretty stellar. I would also recommend the Coil Master DIY kit V2 (There are clones of these kits so be weary of fakes). MyVaporStore.com has them for $34.95 before tax and shipping. Best advice is to continue your research and watch as many tutorials on Youtube as you can. Have fun!

Thank you - that's great info - I'd rather not start with cotton that's going to taste crappy for a tank - I don't mind spending the extra money if the Koh Gen Do cotton is just as easy to work with? I will get the kit from MyVaporStore.com as I already do a lot of shopping there, and usually get my products 2 days after ordering.

Reactions: L-TR41N

L-TR41N

Feb 24, 2016
California
Thank you - that's great info - I'd rather not start with cotton that's going to taste crappy for a tank - I don't mind spending the extra money if the Koh Gen Do cotton is just as easy to work with? I will get the kit from MyVaporStore.com as I already do a lot of shopping there, and usually get my products 2 days after ordering.

It's only crappy at first lol. Gets better through half of the first tank if not by the end of it. Koh Gen Do isn't that much more expensive. It may seem a little wasteful due to most people preferring to removing the outer layers, but there are a plethora of video tutorials on the usage if it as well. You can decide for yourself what your own preferences will be after a few tries. I would say it's just as easy if not easier than traditional cotton balls.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I know you have probably watched enough, but here is one I did recently. it goes over the device but is geared more towards the wicking aspect of both rayon and the ... cotton. the only thing that is not covered is building the actual coil. the km3 is an awesome vape and after a little learning curve, you will be in heaven.

lauragal

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2008
New York
I know you have probably watched enough, but here is one I did recently. it goes over the device but is geared more towards the wicking aspect of both rayon and the ... cotton. the only thing that is not covered is building the actual coil. the km3 is an awesome vape and after a little learning curve, you will be in heaven.

Thank you - I appreciate it all - I'll watch this in a little bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread