Kayfun V.3 mini alternative (MTL only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Protheus

Apr 30, 2015
Hi Guys,
Been looking for best MTL thread on the forum and boy it was so many, and the reviews usually doesnt compare them with my favorite tank, so here goes mine :D

I'm an exclusive MTL vaper, currently im using kayfun mini v3, for me the kfv3 mini is the best flavored tank I've ever tasted. I'm looking for an alternative, You may ask, why would you change the winning team?
Because tbh i dont like the kfv3 mini looks, its slim and tall, and looks ridiculous on every mod i have, and i would love to have more juice capacity.
Kfv3 mini also wobbles whenever i opened the juice channel, being slightly ocd, its really annoying.
Long story short, I've tried other high profile mtl tanks, to be exact (i mostly do 3-5 builts before i gave up) :
1. KFL + this one is pretty close, flavor a bit lacking and no top fill is a deal breaker
2. Kayfun 5, this also looks ugly, the flavor is lacking compared to its brother, and for me personally this tank isnt a true mtl tank due to the airflow and the density of the vapor (yes i tried the mtl set)
3. Kabuki, this thing is amazing! Wasnt sure why the naut coil can bring that much flavor. Last for 2-3 days and thn i need to buy another coil (not a big fan of premade) and no top fill.
4. Erlkonigin, this thing lives up to its name, crazy good flavor, a true legend, but it whistles and re-wicking it brings me nightmare, its so hard to get consistent wicking and no top fill.
5. Merlin mini, its not an mtl tank period, well i thought it was.
6. Rose v3, this thing is a beauty, but somehow the flavor is lacking, erl and kabuki can even do better.
7. Origen 19/22, i have high hopes for this tank, i cant say it wasnt good, but personally the flavor is losing to kfv3 mini, I've compare both of them side by side same material same resistance same juice, its still losing, maybe because its not as warm as kfv3 mini or god knows why, and the top fill is flooding like crazy.

So guys, please share your favorite MTL tank and why? Im searching for strong flavor, warm, and dense vape with prettier form thn the kfv3 mini. I dont mind if its big or short, as long as its proportional.
I've got some tanks on my mind, but doesnt have confidence on those tank..yet.
To name a few :
1. Calix v2, i remember reading somewhere that some guy swear that this tank is by far the best mtl tank, but i cant find anyone in my country that sells Calix.
2. Rose v2, after the v3 i seem to lose confidence on the rose series.
3. Gus phenomenon, a loot of ppl talking about this tank, but i also read its losing to rose v3 which i dont like.
4. Hussar, they told me this one is nice, but i have a hunch this tank is more restricted lung than an mtl.

If any of you guys have an experience with any of the tanks above, or maybe with any other mtl tanks which perform very well please feel free to give your insights.

Please note that all of the statements above are from my personal experience and taste, ppl may vary, i didn't intend to start an argument with their users, its probably because the tanks fit their personal taste, but unfortunately not mine.

Sorry for my bad english, and thank you in advance. God bless.

Cheers.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
GG Tilemahos.

image-jpg.642779

The GG

Cheers
I

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Hey guys thanks for the replies,

@Asbestos4004 do you have the cloudone? What was its like?

@Izan that is beautiful, what was the vape like? Warm vape?
I had one for awhile and sold it. It's a little like a kayfun with adjustable juice control and better flavor. Plus, it's beautiful....

Reactions: Heartsdelight

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I love the KFM v3. My suggestion was going to be the Calix v2, but I see that the OP already considered it and came to the conclusion that it wasn't sold in his/her home country. Unless you live in Greece, I believe that everyone can say this (I don't believe By Leo has authorized resellers for the Calix).

I've purchased a lot of authentic and high-end gear directly from overseas vendors. I don't consider this a barrier to purchase, but I wouldn't fault someone who doesn't want to pay for international shipping or has other concerns. I wouldn't have more than half of my gear if I only purchased from local suppliers.

Good luck finding another great RBA that you'll love!

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Love the km3, have 4 of them and although it is a little slim, I don't mind so much. Also have and use a few erlkonigin's. I also use the byka v6, great mtl tank , I have it in a 2ml version and a standard 22mm base. Also have 2 evl reapers that are probably the best flavor tanks I have but are a little plain looking. My reapers are both nano versions as the full size ones are way too tall. Also have the gg tilemos, which are very nice. I think my next tank might be the skyline, very nice looking tank and great reviews

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: David Wolf

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
how did you build the kayfun mini v3 to have a warm vape ? and how many watts ? ;)

Envoyé de mon SM-G920F en utilisant Tapatalk
I have a bunch of km3's and have them very warm imo. Run them all about 23 to 25 watts with 26g kanthal in the .7 to 1 ohm range with 24mg juice, knocks your blank in the dirt.

Protheus

Apr 30, 2015
I love the KFM v3. My suggestion was going to be the Calix v2, but I see that the OP already considered it and came to the conclusion that it wasn't sold in his/her home country. Unless you live in Greece, I believe that everyone can say this (I don't believe By Leo has authorized resellers for the Calix).

I've purchased a lot of authentic and high-end gear directly from overseas vendors. I don't consider this a barrier to purchase, but I wouldn't fault someone who doesn't want to pay for international shipping or has other concerns. I wouldn't have more than half of my gear if I only purchased from local suppliers.

Good luck finding another great RBA that you'll love!

I actually dont mind purchasing my gear overseas, sadly most of the overseas seller doesnt have any shipment to my country.
Calix v2 is kinda rare even on byleo web its out of stock, im sure i can find it, with extra effort that is.
Reading your replies, I assume you own the calix, I need one extra push for pulling the trigger to hunt calix. Can you describe what kind of vape calix v2 produce good sir? Heard the airflow wasnt tight enough, how was the vape density and flavor? Is it really that good? Would be nice if you can add comparison to ther high end attys. Thank you

Last edited:

Protheus

Apr 30, 2015
I've tried a lot of different MTL tanks trying to find the next "better" thing and I always come back to the Kayfun Mini V3.
Lol tell me about it, I can relate to this so very much.

how did you build the kayfun mini v3 to have a warm vape ? and how many watts ? ;)

Envoyé de mon SM-G920F en utilisant Tapatalk
I usually do 1-1.2ohm with 26 ga 6-7 wraps micro, or my new favorit 0.7ohm 5 wrap 26ga with 20-22 watt

Thanks for the replies guys,
definitely gonna check skyline @vapdivrr

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hi Guys,
Been looking for best MTL thread on the forum and boy it was so many, and the reviews usually doesnt compare them with my favorite tank, so here goes mine :D

I'm an exclusive MTL vaper, currently im using kayfun mini v3, for me the kfv3 mini is the best flavored tank I've ever tasted. I'm looking for an alternative, You may ask, why would you change the winning team?
Because tbh i dont like the kfv3 mini looks, its slim and tall, and looks ridiculous on every mod i have, and i would love to have more juice capacity.
Kfv3 mini also wobbles whenever i opened the juice channel, being slightly ocd, its really annoying.
Long story short, I've tried other high profile mtl tanks, to be exact (i mostly do 3-5 builts before i gave up) :
1. KFL + this one is pretty close, flavor a bit lacking and no top fill is a deal breaker
2. Kayfun 5, this also looks ugly, the flavor is lacking compared to its brother, and for me personally this tank isnt a true mtl tank due to the airflow and the density of the vapor (yes i tried the mtl set)
3. Kabuki, this thing is amazing! Wasnt sure why the naut coil can bring that much flavor. Last for 2-3 days and thn i need to buy another coil (not a big fan of premade) and no top fill.
4. Erlkonigin, this thing lives up to its name, crazy good flavor, a true legend, but it whistles and re-wicking it brings me nightmare, its so hard to get consistent wicking and no top fill.
6. Rose v3, this thing is a beauty, but somehow the flavor is lacking, erl and kabuki can even do better.
7. Origen 19/22, i have high hopes for this tank, i cant say it wasnt good, but personally the flavor is losing to kfv3 mini, I've compare both of them side by side same material same resistance same juice, its still losing, maybe because its not as warm as kfv3 mini or god knows why, and the top fill is flooding like crazy.

So guys, please share your favorite MTL tank and why? Im searching for strong flavor, warm, and dense vape with prettier form thn the kfv3 mini. I dont mind if its big or short, as long as its proportional.
To name a few :
1. Calix v2, i remember reading somewhere that some guy swear that this tank is by far the best mtl tank, but i cant find anyone in my country that sells Calix.
3. Gus phenomenon, a loot of ppl talking about this tank, but i also read its losing to rose v3 which i dont like.
4. Hussar, they told me this one is nice, but i have a hunch this tank is more restricted lung than an mtl.

If any of you guys have an experience with any of the tanks above, or maybe with any other mtl tanks which perform very well please feel free to give your insights.

Please note that all of the statements above are from my personal experience and taste, ppl may vary, i didn't intend to start an argument with their users, its probably because the tanks fit their personal taste, but unfortunately not mine.

Cheers.
I too like the Kayfun 3 Mini. Fasttech also has a larger capacity Kayfun Mini Plus clone. I would be interested in other MTL RTA tanks with a tight draw, even tighter than the KF mini (like the KF V2 but top fill).

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
The Origen Tiny Tank has a repeatedly, good flavor reputation. I don't have one though. I have trouble with 2ml-sized tanks. Many of the others listed, I have used and the list is good. Not the Calix either, though.

The Goblin Mini I used for several months, but it is another small tank.

The Squape R is good flavor, but may not be as tight as you are looking for.

The Rose V2 is very good in that the wick is split on each side so there are four juice channels. And, it is pretty constricted. Definitely, a flavor topper.

Just ones that I think you may want to consider.

Hope helps. Good luck.

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
The origen tiny tank has amasing flavour but it's a pain to fill and it has a plastic tank. The Armed is really good, it has a steel tank option and a glass coming out soon. Hussar is apparently also quite good.

If you want something on the cheap side, the Digiflavor Siren 22mm is just as good as the above and at 1/5 of the price.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
Can you describe what kind of vape calix v2 produce good sir? Heard the airflow wasnt tight enough, how was the vape density and flavor? Is it really that good? Would be nice if you can add comparison to ther high end attys. Thank you

The By Leo Calix is not my favorite tank nor is it a perfect tank in my opinion that fits all of my criteria, but I use and enjoy it a lot and I think it’s worth a look. I am fortunate that I got a good deal on a v1 in the Classifieds. I subsequently purchased the v2 base and the Nano kit from By Leo and my favorite and long running set up is a Calix v2 Nano Elegance. I also like the Sophia v1 and v2 and By Leo is among my favorite modders.

Due to the construction of the SS cup it seems to me that spaced coils work better due to the distance between “posts”. I use spaced coils with Kanthal on mechanical mods and VW and with Ni200 in TC with great results. Good flavor and good vapor for my juices, although I don’t go above 14w and I feel that the Calix is a cooler vape than other atomizers at the same power so I kick it up a bit on the Calix.

I prefer atomizers with glass, so I’m careful with what I put in the plastic tank that I use on the Calix. This is my #1 negative that doesn’t meet my criteria that seeks "perfection". Otherwise, side AFC, top fill, juice control, MTL capable without killing flavor, stable TC, and looks are all met. One thing that is nice is that By Leo has declared that this is a platform and they already have a lot of options that you can pick and choose from to try to tailor to your needs.

One may need a tight fitting drip tip to be able to turn the JC without it slipping. I would say the same for Sophia. I like the By Leo drip tips and have no problems when I use them, so I do. I like the STR 10 SS.

I prefer a MTL vape. The best example that I can offer is that the GP Spheroid v3 is too tight for me, but I love the v4 half open. The AFC on the Calix v2 base can be tightened to my preference, but there is a whooshing sound that one might find annoying. I tend to run the Calix v2 a little more open than I would like to minimize the whoosh. Like I said above, it’s not perfect, but I do really like it and would not push it on anyone, but would definitely offer it for consideration. Lately it’s been what I’ve been grabbing and enjoying it with Ni200 in TC mode and I love the flavor, the vapor, the ease of filling, and no leaks (if I make sure not to open the JC too much after filling a full tank).

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
@Protheus, you mentioned about the km3 wobbling when opening JC, how many turns do you open? Even at 25 watts and 70vg juice I only open to 1 to 1.5 turns and have no problems with vape or wobbles. I did buy a cheap clone for the wife and that had half the threads as the authentic, which wobbled after like 1 turn. Also you mentioned the erlkonigin has no top fill?

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hi Guys,

To name a few :

Cheers.
Great rundown of RTA's for consideration for MTL. I prefer a fairly tight draw, and the reviews I've read for a lot of the tanks on your list don't appear to give this from reviews I've read. The Kayfun V5 mini Clone I bought is a beautiful tank, a lot of folks said great for MTL, but its too airy for my taste and the inserts didn't fit that I bought to restrict the flow. I like my Kayfun V2 plus clone, but it's not top fill and I'm spoiled by that now. I bought a Kafun V3 Mini clone from 3F Vape and liked the flavor a lot, much better for MTL than the V5, yet the air flow control doesn't seem to do anything, and if I could I would make it a little more restrictive. I plan on picking up a vape band, putting a hole in it, and covering up a few of the air intake holes and see hwo that does. (Going for Nautilus mini restricted flow with the flavor of a Kayfun lol). I still love it though for it's juice flow control and top fill and good flavor.
After reading a lot of reviews and viewing Youtube videos, I just placed an order for two more different Kayfun V3 Mini clones from Fasttech and will compare the two when I get them:
SKU: 4278000
SKU:
I'm sticking to working with the Kayfun V3 mini's for now since every time I hear someone say the OBS Engine, Digiflavor Siren, Merlin, Kayfun V5, *insert your best MTL tank ever for flavor name here* I go and read reviews and they all appear to have airier draw for MTL than I like. If you like airy MTL and higher power then I"m sure some of those tanks are fine, but for me I prefer to run at lower power (8 - 10w) and get better flavor with denser vapor on a tight draw, so airy doesn't do it for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Just Me

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Lol tell me about it, I can relate to this so very much.

I usually do 1-1.2ohm with 26 ga 6-7 wraps micro, or my new favorit 0.7ohm 5 wrap 26ga with 20-22 watt

Thanks for the replies guys,
definitely gonna check skyline @vapdivrr
I get a little over 1.1 ohms with Kanthal A1, 28 AWG, 7 wraps, 2mm, spaced coil. I'm still trying different builds in my Kayfun Mini V3's, and different wire (Nichrome 80 in 30 & 31 AWG, 1.5 mm micro coils, etc). I've already worked a lot with 2.5 and 3 mm coils in other RBAs, and so far prefer the 2mm in the KF Mini V3. I want to do SS next.

Reactions: Just Me
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread