Kayfun v5-what wire/wrap combo are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
KF 5 is never going to be a great cloud tank, although the airflow is a lot more open than prior versions. I would start simply with maybe 26G or 28G Kanthal (whatever you have) wrapped around a 2.5 mm drill bit/something that size. Use Steam Engine to calculate the wraps Coil wrapping (don't worry about the leg length, just the gauge, type of wire, resistance you want, and the inner diameter of the coil. So a simple build could be an 8 wrap 28G 2.5 mm ID Kanthal coil ~1.5 ohm. If you want say 1 ohm, it would be 5 wraps.

Easy to mount, large enough to be easy to wick, and should work just fine. Besides, if you're using a regulated mod, resistance isn't a big deal as you can adjust the power to what is appropriate to the vape you want. You can use thicker wire and get lower resistance for a build, but as you're pretty new to building, start simple, get the positive feedback of something working, then feel confident varying your build to get even better performance.

Reactions: ChelsB

APathos

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2016
CA USA
github.com
Lately been running plain old ss316l 24 gauge spaced 6 wrap around a 2.5mm id wicked with rayon, for TC @480F (24 Watts?). 0.28 Ohms on a DNA device. I'll go up to spaced 9 wraps around a 3mm id, but more space between the wraps (less wraps) and smaller id (better air flow around the coil) seems to cut down on the coil gunk/build up. And I'm lazy about rebuilding the kayfun.

Adan

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2016
USA
Cotton and Kanthal. High nic, unflavored, and tobacco. That's all I've had in my K5.
I don't need the best from it.
28g 2.4-2.5 ID 1.4-1.5ish works for me. Second to largest reducer, Afc full open.
I get a different taste from different wire and wick.
You might try different material and see if you have a preference.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Cotton and Kanthal. High nic, unflavored, and tobacco. That's all I've had in my K5.
I don't need the best from it.
28g 2.4-2.5 ID 1.4-1.5ish works for me. Second to largest reducer, Afc full open.
I get a different taste from different wire and wick.
You might try different material and see if you have a preference.

Thanks for the reply. Rayon is working great for me. Don't think I'll go back to cotton

Reactions: bigbob2322
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread