Kbox 8-40 watt box burns throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

lc12

Account closed on request
Oct 31, 2014
Hi & please help....
So, my spouse bought me 2 kbox-s 40 watt online w/batts/charger as a gift to see if these would upgrade me, instead of MPV's or ego batts that I like (I'm in the 55+ crowd). I only vape ce4's or mainly vision vivi nova's at 1.8-2.4 ohm's. I tried the kbox at only 8 watts (w/samsung 18650 20 amp) and would like to use the boxes, but I get a burning-painful sensation in my throat. I make my liquid -tried pure vg, 50/50, & lower nic's; plus, used 1.8, 2.4 and 2.8 ohm coils;& still the same thing happens & can't use it.
Question: Is there a way to keep using my beloved Vivi's w-this box or would I have to consider throwing the kbox's out the door?

thanks

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
I just set my mother up with a new Aspire nautilus 2.
It fits the k-box perfect.
Also the new tank comes with 1 1.8 and 1 .07 ohm coil.
The Nautilus coils are known for taking a little more watts for their resistance.
They sell 1.8, 1.6, and now .07 ohm coils for this tank.
My mother(76) is using the 1.8 ohm coils at the 13 watt preset.
She vapes a diy I make 50/50 4mg.

Also the airflow seems to be better on this new version than the older style. Only downside is 2ml capacity.

If the 1.8 coil doesn't work at the 8 or 13 preset, maybe the .07 coil will work for you at the 20w preset.
And then there is always the 1.6 ohm coils to source and try also.
Good luck, hope you find something that works for you.
:toast:

lc12

Oct 31, 2014
I just set my mother up with a new Aspire nautilus 2.
It fits the k-box perfect.
Also the new tank comes with 1 1.8 and 1 .07 ohm coil.
The Nautilus coils are known for taking a little more watts for their resistance.
They sell 1.8, 1.6, and now .07 ohm coils for this tank.
My mother(76) is using the 1.8 ohm coils at the 13 watt preset.
She vapes a diy I make 50/50 4mg.

Also the airflow seems to be better on this new version than the older style. Only downside is 2ml capacity.

If the 1.8 coil doesn't work at the 8 or 13 preset, maybe the .07 coil will work for you at the 20w preset.

And then there is always the 1.6 ohm coils to source and try also.
Good luck, hope you find something that works for you.
:toast:
Thanks for your replies, though I think I'll put away these K-box's that seem are more fit for young crowds & hope I can buy vision batteries or the good( probably gone) MPV 20 watt that I also liked. I fear I'll end up smoking eventually, since what I like is not considered "modern" or up to date, that all of the beginning vape gears will be gone forever to sell more - nothing is compatible, everything glass, big, heavy, more watts by the minute - for folks that probably never even smoked analogs. Vapor Shark mgr. told me "they have to go ahead the curve" . I asked cause why not stock things like before (in a little corner somewhere) to even get people in the door? For newbies and older people? Even my mom, last yr. went back to smoking as she says it's getting way too complicated- she went into Vapor Shark's store to get supplies & was dumbfounded. Her health is in the downslide fast. Btw, I found the VS store empty and unfortuantely it didn't have the long lines with all types of people - like houswives, old people, young, etc. all happily mingling together having coffee. It used to be a great happy hangout - not anymore.
Well, thanks for listening & of course your replies :)

Reactions: BackDoc

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I recommend at least trying a nautilus mini or nautilus 2 or triton mini before throwing in the towel on the kbox40.
They are not young folk cloud blower type delivery devices.

Their replacement heads are much improved over the ce4- vivanova & easy to find & replace. I suggest the 1.8Ω BVC.
Improved as in far better wicking ability, flavor reproduction, head life. The airflow can be adjusted down to mimic ce4/vvn type tight inhale or opened in various positions still providing a good restricted mouth to lung inhale.

If not being able to find ce4/vvn may be a reason for going back to smoking I think trying a nautilus could be a great replacement for either your ce4/vvn or smoking.
You just might be surprised by a comparatively 'newer' delivery device.
Just be sure to buy authentic 'Aspire' nautilus & replacement heads.

lc12

Oct 31, 2014
If more people bought ce4s & Vivas,,there would be more in the Marketplace.
The Nautilus is an upgrade, you may be pleasantly surprised.
Kudos for looking after your Mom..
Thanks, though she doesn't live with me - she needs something really easy. I'll talk to her about it. Though, the glass terrifies her - hands shake/eyesight poor and is always dropping it everywhere. She liked the plastic for tobacco or menthol flavors - like me.
On a side note, I'm sure (at least in Miami) the Vision vivi's/ce4 types would be still popular and selling like hotcakes for newbies and oldies. When people see me on the street with mine or hers, they always ask where I got them to try vaping - I tell them they are on the way of extinction & I have 'em still cause i bought more than 2 dozen and tons of heads to rebuild easily (I learned yrs ago w/the busardo video).
Thanks again...

lc12

Oct 31, 2014
I recommend at least trying a nautilus mini or nautilus 2 or triton mini before throwing in the towel on the kbox40.
They are not young folk cloud blower type delivery devices.

Their replacement heads are much improved over the ce4- vivanova & easy to find & replace. I suggest the 1.8Ω BVC.
Improved as in far better wicking ability, flavor reproduction, head life. The airflow can be adjusted down to mimic ce4/vvn type tight inhale or opened in various positions still providing a good restricted mouth to lung inhale.

If not being able to find ce4/vvn may be a reason for going back to smoking I think trying a nautilus could be a great replacement for either your ce4/vvn or smoking.
You just might be surprised by a comparatively 'newer' delivery device.
Just be sure to buy authentic 'Aspire' nautilus & replacement heads.
Any idea on something like this w/no glass that I can rebuild heads? Something that is not a throat buster.
thanks

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Thanks, though she doesn't live with me - she needs something really easy. I'll talk to her about it. Though, the glass terrifies her - hands shake/eyesight poor and is always dropping it everywhere. She liked the plastic for tobacco or menthol flavors - like me.
On a side note, I'm sure (at least in Miami) the Vision vivi's/ce4 types would be still popular and selling like hotcakes for newbies and oldies. When people see me on the street with mine or hers, they always ask where I got them to try vaping - I tell them they are on the way of extinction & I have 'em still cause i bought more than 2 dozen and tons of heads to rebuild easily (I learned yrs ago w/the busardo video).
Thanks again...
Yer a 305 guy? So am i, born & raised.
Try Fastech, polycarbonate Evod, maybe.
T3s, yes, about 12 usd/5 pack. Just bought 50 insulators for them from ebay.

As an aside, live in Broward since Wilma. And i never see vapers in the wild..

Reactions: lc12

lc12

Oct 31, 2014
Yer a 305 guy? So am i, born & raised.
Try Fastech, polycarbonate Evod, maybe.
T3s, yes, about 12 usd/5 pack. Just bought 50 insulators for them from ebay.

As an aside, live in Broward since Wilma. And i never see vapers in the wild..
yes, born and raised in Miami. Hardly any vapers around here, especially now. Some tiny shops around that eventually close. Some states started earlier than down here. The main shop/franchise we have around is Vapor Shark - who had their own tanks, which were the Vision Vivi's with their shark emblem on them & everyone loved them. I remember, about 6 yrs ago or so when they opened, i went in to check them out and was amazed at this invention. I would see all these people of ages go in and 1 day decided to go in & buy a starter kit. The place was booming - hardly any parking, full of people, etc. Now, since they've gone into all this metal high tech stuff, mods, cloud chasing stuff it's empty. So yes, hardly any vapers in the wild down here and I see lots of people smoking cigarettes. Everyone I meet see my vivi's & want one...some say they've either given up vaping cause it's too complicated, problematic, no compatible parts, don't like glass that have broken... or even too expensive. Wish there were more alternatives/choices down here to get new people, of all ages, into this vaping world - & not turn them away/scare 'em with so many complications (just the way we all started). We need more of us, not less. In union there is power.
Btw, what insulators are you talking about? The only insulators i've bought are the rubber grommets for the bottom of the vivi coils.

Reactions: mattiem

lc12

Oct 31, 2014
One of the kayfun variants, except for the V5.
Lots of choices of configurations & tank materials.
you think the Kayfun 3.1 or 4 would be good for this kbox 40watt that cannot be regulated below 8 watts? I know the 3.1 one has to close the air hole, tilt for that air bubble thing that goes on - but I've read, it's still a good topper. My thing is a work around with these Kbox's - my spouse feels bad for trying to upgrade me in the sense of not having to throw out ego's, spinners, mpv's all the time (I constantly vape).- hate to admit, but I even sleep with one.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
yes, born and raised in Miami. Hardly any vapers around here, especially now. Some tiny shops around that eventually close. Some states started earlier than down here. The main shop/franchise we have around is Vapor Shark - who had their own tanks, which were the Vision Vivi's with their shark emblem on them & everyone loved them. I remember, about 6 yrs ago or so when they opened, i went in to check them out and was amazed at this invention. I would see all these people of ages go in and 1 day decided to go in & buy a starter kit. The place was booming - hardly any parking, full of people, etc. Now, since they've gone into all this metal high tech stuff, mods, cloud chasing stuff it's empty. So yes, hardly any vapers in the wild down here and I see lots of people smoking cigarettes. Everyone I meet see my vivi's & want one...some say they've either given up vaping cause it's too complicated, problematic, no compatible parts, don't like glass that have broken... or even too expensive. Wish there were more alternatives/choices down here to get new people, of all ages, into this vaping world - & not turn them away/scare 'em with so many complications (just the way we all started). We need more of us, not less. In union there is power.
Btw, what insulators are you talking about? The only insulators i've bought are the rubber grommets for the bottom of the vivi coils.
Not sure of correct term, they separate the pos/ neg legs at the bottom of the coil.
There was another/different one at the chimney. They did wear out/burn after about 15 recoils.

I have kfuns, the three is MTL & simple.
The four is Very complicated. Gave me fits to set up.
You must make or buy premade coils. As ypu probably know..

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Thanks again...
Problem with the ce4-type clearos is that it's very easy to overheat the e-liquid and potentially create bad side products with them. They are indeed outdated. Sure, better than smoking, but overall it's good that they're phased out.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: beckdg

lc12

Oct 31, 2014
Not sure of correct term, they separate the pos/ neg legs at the bottom of the coil.
There was another/different one at the chimney. They did wear out/burn after about 15 recoils.

I have kfuns, the three is MTL & simple.
The four is Very complicated. Gave me fits to set up.
You must make or buy premade coils. As ypu probably know..
yes, those are the 'rubber grommet's' that Fasttech has. Which actually, I do buy there - it's unfortunate they don't sell em for bcc (bottom coil clearomizers) like evods, victory, etc (had to throw those out). which tend to burn out faster after 1-2 rebuilds. Top coil atomizers don't have such a problem as the grommet is on top and not on bottom which heats up more.
Btw, I buy at Fasttech these rubber grommet's, the precoiled wicks, 510 adapter (though not sealed) and a kangertech usb charger for egos which are great - has a longer charging end/nipple than others sold out there. I don't buy gear there or anything even if it says "authentic"...not even metal Vivi Nova - as they are not from Vision, at all and leak all over the place. They have no 'quality control' . They do have things that diy'ers, handy people or others can use for spare parts, etc. which is a good thing for those diy'ers/frankensteining people. I personally, as a test, ordered 4 things from there (gear like batts, vivi's) & ended returning everything. Just be careful on ordering expensive things there. On a positve side note on Fasttech's behalf, is that their return policy is excellent - unlike others where they don't accept returns &/or have to pay shipping

Last edited:

lc12

Oct 31, 2014
Problem with the ce4-type clearos is that it's very easy to overheat the e-liquid and potentially create bad side products with them. They are indeed outdated. Sure, better than smoking, but overall it's good that they're phased out.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk
True, that happens in higher wattages with the more modern atomizers & of course w/acidic liquids/juices. But for the older lifelong smoking tobacco/menthol folks that vape - & are laughed at for being 'tootle puffers' at lower temps with ohm's like 2.4, 2.8 is not a life risk at all & worked great. I'd prefer my mom with this, as she didn't smoke cigarettes all her life thinking about the 4000 chemicals that analogs have - and now, unforunatley at almost 80 she's smoking again cause she can't keep up with the modern-upgrade vape gear being sold. Florida is a tropical retiree state and it kills me to see old people smoking without any easy options.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
yes, those are the 'rubber grommet's' that Fasttech has. Which actually, I do buy there - it's unfortunate they don't sell em for bcc (bottom coil clearomizers) like evods, victory, etc (had to throw those out). which tend to burn out faster after 1-2 rebuilds. Top coil atomizers don't have such a problem as the grommet is on top and not on bottom which heats up more.
It is too bad you didn't come here before throwing them out because you could have bought the rubber insulators here. I have been getting mine from these folks for a long time. I buy my pre-wound and wicked coils from fastech but get my grommets from Clone Cores.

I have one of the kbox 8-40 and like you I really don't like using it so went with this instead and I really like it. Actually like it so much I have 4 of them.

lc12

Oct 31, 2014
It is too bad you didn't come here before throwing them out because you could have bought the rubber insulators here. I have been getting mine from these folks for a long time. I buy my pre-wound and wicked coils from fastech but get my grommets from Clone Cores.

I have one of the kbox 8-40 and like you I really don't like using it so went with this instead and I really like it. Actually like it so much I have 4 of them.
oh goodness! Yes, it is too bad I didn't know - wish I had; and the top silicone part, too...wow. Hmmm... those Kangertechs sure look nice and good price, too. I'm sure your post will help many folks.
Thanks for writing back :).

Reactions: mattiem

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
oh goodness! Yes, it is too bad I didn't know - wish I had; and the top silicone part, too...wow. Hmmm... those Kangertechs sure look nice and good price, too. I'm sure your post will help many folks.
Thanks for writing back :).
You are most welcome.

I actually was able to use and enjoy one of these toppers on my kbox 8-40 by using a 510 to ego adapter since they are ego threaded. I use both these and the gs-air 2 as my all time go to toppers. Hubby still hasn't moved past the SMOKtech ARO II so it is a good thing I bought a LOT of them but I just couldn't pass up less than 3 bucks each.

PS: I bought the 2.4 Ω ones

These may also be perfect for your mom since they are not glass. Hubby has been using the same one for at least a year now. Instead of the coils that were specifically for them I just bought protank/evod coils for them since a lot of my other toppers use the same coils. It was those that I had to get the insulators for. They are simple and very easy to rebuild. I usually wait until I have about 50 used one and then have a marathon rebuilding day and then we are set again for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread