Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
Okay, I've posted this a few other places and nobody's got an answer, maybe someone here can give me a little feedback.

I'm rocking a Kicked Silver Bullet with a 2.0ohm DCT, the kick is set at 8 watts, using AW IMR 18650 2000mAh batteries. I get about half-3/4ths of a day from a single battery.

Would adjusting the ohm of the cartos incease battery life? If so, what sort of impact would that have on the vapor production? Is there anything that you would recommend to increase battery life and vapor production?

Thanks!
-X

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
I'm no electrical engineer and someone more knowledgeable may correct me, but I don't see how you could get better batt life by other than turning the Kick setting down. Changing the ohm's will just end up changing the voltage to compensate and your right back where you were. Is the Kick shutting down when the batt reaches about 3.4 to3.6v, if it is then alls well if it's shutting down at a higher voltage you might get some more batt life by cleaning your PV's contact points. If you want to increase vapor either turn up the Kick or use a higher VG juice %. That's all I got.:laugh:

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
Thank you for the reply. :)

It usually starts to stutter around 3.7v, and if I open up the battery chamber and then close it again, it will go for a few more minutes. I typically will toss it on the charger before it gets to that point though, that's when it starts becoming unreliable.

I actually just sent my SB in a couple weeks ago to get the 510 connector replaced, which helped a ton. The kick was unusable before that, my connector was sized a bit wrong, and it wouldn't make a solid connection.

The VG might be a good idea for the vapor though.

Thank you!
-X

jkmtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Lebanon TN
Yes, you will get better battery life, the lower the ohms, the more the amp draw on the battery, the higher the ohms the lower the amp draw on the battery. Also, dual coils destroy battery life. A 3 ohm single coil boge set at 8 watts on an 18650 would produce massive vapor. And yes, the Kick will produce the same wattage no matter what the ohms are, thus, same performance.

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
Yes, you will get better battery life, the lower the ohms, the more the amp draw on the battery, the higher the ohms the lower the amp draw on the battery. Also, dual coils destroy battery life. A 3 ohm single coil boge set at 8 watts on an 18650 would produce massive vapor. And yes, the Kick will produce the same wattage no matter what the ohms are, thus, same performance.

Is there a chart you know of for the Kick to tell the different amp draws for fixed wattage at different ohm's?

CloveHunter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2012
NYC
Is there a chart you know of for the Kick to tell the different amp draws for fixed wattage at different ohm's?

I use http://www.wolframalpha.com/ website to do the counting. Try use "8W 2ohms" in the search field, it'll give you all the related calculation, including amperage & voltage

Last edited:

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
I use Wolfram|Alpha: Computational Knowledge Engine website to do the counting. Try use "8W 2ohms" in the search field, it'll give you all the related calculation, including amperage & voltage

Thanks, it turns out I was screwing up using the calculator I have, which is why it did'nt make sense to me, your site works great also and has a lot more info, thanks again.

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
So am I understanding that switching to single coils in my tank would be a vast improvement? At say 3ohms would improve vapor production and battery life, over my 2ohm dual coils?

Pretty much, that's how I've been running my setup anyway and it works quite nicely. I've never actually used Dual Coils and still have some learning to do about those. You'll gain batt life with the 3ohm single coil and probably get a warmer vape. I'm not quite sure yet about more vapor, but I get plenty with that setup, give it a try. Looks like we both learned a bit here, good luck.

Here's a thread with some good info.- http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...sed-about-ohms-voltages-dual-coil-cartos.html

Last edited:

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
I actually had to read that thread twice to get my head around it...maybe it's because I'm still on my first cup of coffee.

All of this information has lead me down the path to another question! Yay! You know, curious minds and all that.

Given that my device uses VW technology, will there be an observable difference between the vapor production of a 2ohm carto vs a 3ohm carto? Does the thicker coil provide more vapor or anything like that, when set at the same wattage?

jkmtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Lebanon TN
In my experience, I get more vapor from single coils than I do dual coils. One thing to keep in mind, when using dual coils at 8 watts, that 8 watts is spread accross 2 coils, so 4 watts per coil is what you are getting. In order to get a true 8 watts you would need 16 watts.

As for battery life, your battery life would improve hm just by switching from a dual coil to a single coil, a 2 ohm single coil is going to improve your battery life over a 2 ohm dual coil, a 3 ohm single coil will give you better battery life than a 2 ohm single coil.

As for vapor production, you won't see any difference in your cape with a 3 ohm single coil over a 2 ohm single coil, when using the kick.

Pooladdict247

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Thawville, IL
Sending my kick in for the second time today...I killed it again.:facepalm:

I run 8.5-9w on 1.7 ohm single coil smoktecs on my sb with the sleeve for the 18650. The most important part of the kick is the ground spring. I had to pull on it a little to stretch it out some in order to get a good ground. Now I can shake my SB and the kick wont even move when changing batteries.

When I first got my kick I was only getting 7-8hrs out of it, after the repair I was getting about 10-15. Not sure if there was something wrong with it from the start, but I was pleased after the repair to get at least a whole day out of an 18650.

Pooladdict247

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Thawville, IL
It usually starts to stutter around 3.7v, and if I open up the battery chamber and then close it again, it will go for a few more minutes. I typically will toss it on the charger before it gets to that point though, that's when it starts becoming unreliable.

When mine starts to stutter Ill smack the bottom of the SB on my palm and you can hear the battery shift a little in there and will ussually get another 1/2-1hr out of it:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread