Status
Not open for further replies.

dopeh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Montreal
As you all know the vv Reos will use the best (imo) electronics around, from Mike at Notcigs. Well, he recently announced the 2012 release of the Buzz Pro's guts, and predicts a $35-40 price point. So for all of us thinking of modding our existing REOs, I suggest going with what Rob is also going with!

FYI, the kick will have 10w available power, whereas the Buzz sports 15w, and has a POT wheel..

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Im planning obviously in getting a REO VV but It would have been cool to be able to change back and forth my Nebula with a Kick which from what I understand and whats been said not possible. :( Still would have been a cool option. :)

Anythings possible :) Maybe with a nice strip of copper shim stock running from the spring up the side to where the kick grounds :D

Would have to see one first then work out the kinks.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
It can be done Gil there is always a way

Your such a tease. You know I was finally gravitating towards a metal REO so now Im thinking should I turn the Tesla into a normal Woodvile for a possible Kick option later and buy a Grand REO VV.
hairpullingsmiley.gif
what to do...what to do?
headscratch.gif

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Your such a tease. You know I was finally gravitating towards a metal REO so now Im thinking should I turn the Tesla into a normal Woodvile for a possible Kick option later and buy a Grand REO VV.
hairpullingsmiley.gif
what to do...what to do?
headscratch.gif

You have to take the Kick out to adjust the wattage up or down. You'd most likely set it where you like your vape and leave it in there till it shuts down, indicating your battery is ready to be recharged. Advantage? A consistent vape for the entire useful charge of each battery, regardless of which atty you use.

What to do? mod your Nebula to use a Kick and enjoy. You could still use your 18650's anytime you like. Let the Tesla be born as a first run VV Reo and enjoy that too. :)

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
Im planning obviously in getting a REO VV but It would have been cool to be able to change back and forth my Nebula with a Kick which from what I understand and whats been said not possible. :( Still would have been a cool option. :)

Some mods have very tight tollerances where the battery is. There has been talk of using copper tape in these to make the connection from the Kicks ground to the negative end of the battery. The tape is thin and self adhesive..

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
You have to take the Kick out to adjust the wattage up or down. You'd most likely set it where you like your vape and leave it in there till it shuts down, indicating your battery is ready to be recharged. Advantage? A consistent vape for the entire useful charge of each battery, regardless of which atty you use.

What to do? Mod your Nebula to use a Kick and enjoy. You could still use your 18650's anytime you like. Let the Tesla be born as a first run VV Reo and enjoy that too. :)

Sounds like a good plan! :)

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
Well the short story first. You'll either have to file the anodizing off the inside of the grand where the ground of the Kick touches the Reo or get a tumbled Grand. Or you can run a wire from the ground contact on the Kick to the spring on the Grand.

Of course 18490 IMR Aws in it.

Someone tried it in a grand and said that the fire button would move the Kick enough that the ground would lose contact and not fire. I'm skeptical of this but I suppose it is possible. I think there are ez workarounds if this is the case. Of course this would not happen with the wire solution.

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
As far as I can tell from the pictures of The Kick that I've seen the wire solution would be best with the Grand.

For this we would dedicate and hard wire a Kick to the Grand, because the spring will not make a solid contact with the ground thus rebooting the micro processor often, resulting in intermittant firing.

So I am proposing a simple add on to be able to use a Kick in a Grand: We would take a small aluminium tube, 19mm inner diameter, length about 15 mm. This tube would have a wire (thin would be ok, I am thinking that the ground is just for the micro processor and electronics, not the work power) soldered to it, that wire could then be threaded along the side of the battery to the ground spring of the Grand. There it will not be soldered, but instead simply fastened under the spring, which can be loosened by a small phillips (is that a Kreuzschraube?) screwdriver.

Soo, now I can go hunt for an aluminium tube - after all I AM a German engineer and one has to live up to standards, no? *grins*

Edit: Plus, this would make it work on a woodvil too, plus, no permanent changes to the Grand.

Last edited:

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
As far as I can tell from the pictures of The Kick that I've seen the wire solution would be best with the Grand.

For this we would dedicate and hard wire a Kick to the Grand, because the spring will not make a solid contact with the ground thus rebooting the micro processor often, resulting in intermittant firing.

So I am proposing a simple add on to be able to use a Kick in a Grand: We would take a small aluminium tube, 19mm inner diameter, length about 15 mm. This tube would have a wire (thin would be ok, I am thinking that the ground is just for the micro processor and electronics, not the work power) soldered to it, that wire could then be threaded along the side of the battery to the ground spring of the Grand. There it will not be soldered, but instead simply fastened under the spring, which can be loosened by a small phillips (is that a Kreuzschraube?) screwdriver.

Soo, now I can go hunt for an aluminium tube - after all I AM a German engineer and one has to live up to standards, no? *grins*

Edit: Plus, this would make it work on a woodvil too, plus, no permanent changes to the Grand.

What do you think of soldering a small alligator clip to the end of the ground wire and just clip that to the spring?

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
The alligator clip would work, but it would be too large and bulky and it would take away from the sturdyness and reliability of the REOs. I am thinking of really thin wire here - Fädeldraht - (google translates that to braided wire - is that reasonable?). Unscrew the spring screw two turns, put the wire under the spring base from the back of the mod, fasten the screw again.

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
Just another thought if the Kick doesnt maintain a ground connection without using a wire. There is room to put a shim type thing in place that would run from the left side of the reo over to the kick to hold it firmly in place. THere is enough room to get past the tube...perhaps styrofoam or some such thing. It would not take much pressure to hold it in place. And I think t would be easy to pop in and out. Any thoughts and ideas?

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny

Its a very good idea but I just looked at my grand with an 18650 in it and that is really taking up almost all the space in the slot. I don't think 19mm tube will fit. Theres very little tolerance in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread