Kicking Cable to the Curb

Status
Not open for further replies.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
it's actually better to use 1080p in that case.
I tried Netflix using my tablet then casting it to my TV which has some kind of fancy processor in it. So I was getting what is supposed to be actually 4k. My Roku only goes to 1080 but the SS they did some tweaks and put a new Netflix app on it that is capable of 4k also. If I'm going to use Netflix I use my Roku most of the time so I haven't even uninstalled the old one on the SS and installed the new one. Don't need it. I didn't think it was worth the $2 extra a month just to watch volcanoes or Orange is the new black, which I really like but 1080 was good the first time through. Selection is pretty limited.

Reactions: Iffy

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
I might give that a try.i have mine set to4k 30hz. I never use above 1080

Yeah, see that's where I was having the problem with my fire TV boxes. most 4k panels are 120hz and up, Idk if that would work, it might but my panel was not having a good time. lol.

By specs alone the latest batch of Chinese ones smoke most of the US branded models, and every Chinese model I have seen lately came with Kodi fully loaded. I guess what I am really asking is if the SS (or any other box for that matter) is significantly better than the Chinese ilk in terms of functionality. Yes, the USA branded ones offer support, and probably more FW updates, but is it worth double the price for what is often lower specs?

I can see where support would be of high value to those who are not well versed in the tech. I can see where boxes like the nVidia bring gaming features to the table. It just seems like a lot of the US labels are really charging ultra-premium prices, are their boxes worth it?

For me, at $50-$75 I am not so much worried about FW updates as long its not bug-ridden to begin with, in which case I would just return it straight away. I dont mind chunking a cheap box after a year and buying the latest. Sort of disposable in my eyes.
No, I agree with you, the direct from China ones are the best (of the regular raspberry pi boxes) ad long as you get the right one. I think that the SS one has some use to people who don't know what they are doing, but imo still, there are some things you do have to learn about kodi or you'll just have constant problems. Still, though... I think stuff like this can be great for someone who might take a while to learn.

I mainly bought the Nvidia boxes bc I got a good deal (150 each for 3) and I can use shadow play with my pc graphics cards which are all also Nvidia. Also bc I was having trouble with my other boxes in 4k and the Nvidia TV box has the best specs, so the best chance to do it right. This is what the Nvidia one looks like...

*Nvidia Tegra X1 processor
*256 core maxwell gpu
*3gb local RAM
*16gb adoptable via usb, or up to 500 microSD
*4k in 60fps and HDR

To me they were worth the money bc they do work really well, provide me with FW updates and whatnot and I get use out of shadow play via my pc...

Technically what really sold me was that the shiny factor that they stuffed cores from a maxwell gpu (900 series pc graphics cards) in there, and I kind of figured since Nvidia is making their own box, they probably won't be allowing other manufacturers to use their hardware in their boxes.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Well I just got turned on to a really good 4k addon, Real Debrid required. Go to Phoenix, the latest update the the Alpha Reborn then 4k then movies. Watching San Andreas in 4k excellent stream no buffering definately worth a look. If you get to the Alpha Reborn and get coming soon you don't have the latest Phoenix addon. Like I said Real Debrid required.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
most 4k panels are 120hz and up, Idk if that would work, it might but my panel was not having a good time. lol.
That's why I paid a little more for my TV could have gotten a 70" for the same price as my 60" but it was 120hz this one is 240hz. I don't know if this show is a real 4K but it is really clear, I have my box set to 4k sure is clearer then the first time I watched it at 1080.

Reactions: Iffy

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
they are most likely very similar, if you still have the specs for yours I can tell you, here are the specs for the SS boxes

• Dual or Quad Core Cortex A9
  • Mali-400 or Mali-450 GPU
  • 1 or 2 GBs of RAM
  • 8 GBs Flash storage
the main difference is that the SS boxes have kodi all pre set up for you and they also provide support and also firmware (which for some boxes it's hard to find)
Close quad core S905 processor 2 GB Ram 16GB Flash Android 5.1 Kodi 16.1. Several other things but you can get a box with all the same stuff. They have their own build in that they keep updated. Their own updater that makes that easier, Mobdro, Netflix 4K app, Amazon, About 25 addons already loaded with the availability of 100's more with a 1 click install. Not sure on the rest has 4k capabilities, DD. They will do an update to Kodi 17 when they can get it to run with the addons as smoothly as 16.1 is right now.

Reactions: mikepetro

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Here's a sub $50 box.
Hardware Specifications :
CPU: Amlogic S905X Quad Core ARM Cortex-A53 up to 2.0GHZ
GPU: 5-Core ARM Mali-450
RAM: 1GB DDR3
ROM: 8GB NAND FLASH
Operation System: Android 6.0
WiFi: Built in 2.4GHz WiFi
LAN: Ethernet:10/100M, standard RJ-45
HD: HD 2.0 up to 4k2k Output
3D: Hardward 3D graphics acceleration
High Difinition Video Output: SD/HD max.3840 X 2160 pixel
Network Function: Skype chatting,Picasa,Youtube,Flicker,Facebook,Online movies,etc
Other feature :Free Internet searching,thousands of android applications,different kinds of games,etc.
Languages:English/French/German/Spanish/Italian/etc multilateral languages

Interface:
1 X HDMI Port
1 X Standard RJ-45 LAN Port
1 X SPDIF Port
1 X DC Input
2 X High speed USB 2.0,support U DISK and USB HDD
1 X TF card slot

Package list:
1x M9X TV box
1x Charger
1x HDMI Cable
1x Remote Controller
1x User Manual
That's pretty close to the SS except for the programming and support. And the memory. If you have the know how and want to put in some time. You don't have to do much with the SS just update it when they come out with them usually about once a month getting rid of dead add ons and adding new ones. New repos. But basically the same electronics without the support. As far as equipment my TV has an octo core processor in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikepetro

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
That's why I paid a little more for my TV could have gotten a 70" for the same price as my 60" but it was 120hz this one is 240hz. I don't know if this show is a real 4K but it is really clear, I have my box set to 4k sure is clearer then the first time I watched it at 1080.
yeah, the 2 Samsung ones we have said 240 too but I had my doubts that it's a real 240 bc I have a really spendy gaming monitor rhat only 120... far as I can tell, my panel uses the Samsung cmr and some kind of processi engine or something to get that number.idk I just find it hard to believe that they have top of the line gaming panels beat somehow esp. at 60".

That's pretty close to the SS except for the programming and support. And the memory. If you have the know how and want to put in some time. You don't have to do much with the SS just update it when they come out with them usually about once a month getting rid of dead add ons and adding new ones. New repos. But basically the same electronics without the support. As far as equipment my TV has an octo core processor in it.
so they use something apart from the google interface? on ours theres NVidia geforce experience which has steam and shadowplay and all that.

as a computer guy, the most important thing to me was the gpu, it does most of the work in a media player box. I saw that NVidia put 256 cores from one of their Maxwell gpu's and I was sold bc all the other boxes (apart from the fire tv one) had some weird gpu i'd never heard of w/ only 4-5 cores I think.

Last edited:

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
I like PS vue. We ended up getting it bc my cousin was uncomfortable w/ losing all his channels, but I ended up liking it a lot, plus the amount of money that fios was charging us was obscene, so $25 a month split between 3 people doesn't hurt and we get all the regular cable channels with a free dvr & some of the extras. That one and the sling tv one is pretty good imo.

Plus I find it more comfortable to use a controller, I also use a steam controller for my htpc and the Nvidia one that comes with the shield box.

The funny thing is, he had hbo, showtime, Starz etc. before I moved in and we switched to streaming, we cut off the service but they never cut off access to their streaming programs lol. We still use HBO go/sho anytime/starz/Cinemax lol

Last edited:

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
I like PS vue. We ended up getting it bc my cousin was uncomfortable w/ losing all his channels, but I ended up liking it a lot, plus the amount of money that fios was charging us was obscene, so $25 a month split between 3 people doesn't hurt and we get all the regular cable channels with a free dvr & some of the extras. That one and the sling tv one is pretty good imo.

Plus I find it more comfortable to use a controller, I also use a steam controller for my htpc and the Nvidia one that comes with the shield box.

The funny thing is, he had hbo, showtime, Starz etc. before I moved in and we switched to streaming, we cut off the service but they never cut off access to their streaming programs lol. We still use HBO go/sho anytime/starz/Cinemax lol
I take it you have to have a PS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread