Status
Not open for further replies.

sacullen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2014
Chicago, IL, USA
Languages evolve.
It's impossible for anyone to argue against this. But is it really evolving when we quietly sit and let the lazy and ignorant change the rules? The idiocracy are quickly increasing their numbers.

The written word has been butchered. One of the responsibilities of the author is to make the reader do as little work as possible. Unfortunately, too many "writers" have either forgotten this or never learned it in the first place.

And for chrissake people, there are no such thing as "batterys"!
Change the y to i and add -es.

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
"vape" being used interchangeably as a verb or a noun doesn't ruffle my feathers, but hearing people state battery capacity as "XXXX maws" makes my right eyeball start twitching. :-x
Wanted to smack the kid who first said maw to me! But got tired of the "crazy old man" looks so I gave in. LOL!

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
A innerweb redirect needs to be put up so when someone Goggle s" first world problems" this thread comes up.

I've got 99 problems and anything mentioned in this thread doesn't even pop up.

I envy the boring lives ya all live that this stuff matters.

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
:mad:

Vape is etymologically a verb. The use of "vape" as a noun by English 101 repeaters has convinced definition websites to submit to this usage.

If you do this, I genuinely hope you step on a lego.

ETA: I have seen it's use as a noun in the form of "Let's go for a vape." This is reasonable. But the device itself is not a vape.
Stop trying to tell people how they are allowed to speak and maybe you will get annoyed less often

WiSK

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2015
The Netherlands
Vape is etymologically a verb. The use of "vape" as a noun by English 101 repeaters has convinced definition websites to submit to this usage.

If you do this, I genuinely hope you step on a lego.

This is meant to be an ironic post?

Etymology is the study of word history. The origin of a word, e.g. vape from vaporizer, doesn't define how a word should be applied grammatically. Indeed, it is precisely the morphing of words and their meaning over time, through transitive cultures, that interests an etymologist. Words change through use, sometimes change from verbs into nouns. That's what etymology observes, not what it defines.

Further irony... "lego" was originally taken from a verb, from Danish "leg godt": to play well. It was the name of the company long before the bricks were invented. As the toy became more popular, and saying "some lego bricks" became tiresome, it gained use as a (plural) uncountable noun, e.g. "a pile of lego", "much lego". Only when it reached the USA did it become a singular countable noun "a lego" and plural became "some legos", "many legos". Just as you are using it now. You hypocrite ;)

brummyjon

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Birmingham, England
hmmmm... I only read this thread to convince myself that it was really happening.

I am not a child (unless you mean 'child of the 1960s'), and I use the term 'vape' (sometimes 'vapestick') to refer to my mechanical 'mod'. As we are still in the early stages of this huge shift in the way people choose to internalise their nicotine, 'vape' seems to be the only term that you do not have to constantly explain to the uninitiated. I never, ever, ever use the term 'mod' (except in a context such as this) as it does not mean anything to anybody. Electronic Cigarette is too long-winded. My wife calls it my 'pipe'.

What's more, the amount of bile that is generated against people choosing to refer to their own things in a way that makes sense to them is pointless, petty and puerile.

It reminds me of a post a while back where people were laughing at the 'idiots' who chose to position their drip tips in the centre of their mouths, as opposed to the side. (No, I'm serious, that really upset someone too, apparently).

People talk about a vaping 'community' as though it is some coherent group of people who all think and act in the same way. This is not the case, but posts like this make me wish that it was.

Incidentally, the term 'vape' might be used as a verb, and is a convenient verb for the purpose. But of course, it probably originated from the noun vapour (vapor if you are from the US).

Finally, if those 'kids' who choose to call their electronic cigarettes 'vapes' are not killing themselves by smoking tobacco, then I would like to congratulate them on a wise lifestyle choice. I have no desire to belittle them for their use of language, or to wish any toy related injuries to befall them.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
A innerweb redirect needs to be put up so when someone Goggle s" first world problems" this thread comes up.

I've got 99 problems and anything mentioned in this thread doesn't even pop up.

I envy the boring lives ya all live that this stuff matters.

Its internet not innerwebs. :p

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
The other day my wife lost her APV. We walked back into the restaurant we thought we lost it at and asked, "Did anyone turn in a... vape... thingy...?"
"Oh, a vape? no one found a vape today."
"Thanks."

Hard for me to imagine losing my vape; that would have been like losing my cigarettes, and that certainly never happened. :D

Andria

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
I call it a vape, and ohmage. I know neither word is 'correct', afaik ohmage isn't even a real word, but the use of jargon has always been one way that groups of people identify one another. Just like the word/name clapton, if I say, hey check out that fused clapton to another vaper, chances are she'll know that I mean a coil. If I say that to a non-vaper, chances are she'll look for a guitarist who has been in a terrible accident! (who's? whose?, I went with who has, due to the nature of this discussion. I think it should be who's.)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I call it a vape, and ohmage. I know neither word is 'correct', afaik ohmage isn't even a real word, but the use of jargon has always been one way that groups of people identify one another. Just like the word/name clapton, if I say, hey check out that fused clapton to another vaper, chances are she'll know that I mean a coil. If I say that to a non-vaper, chances are she'll look for a guitarist who has been in a terrible accident! (who's? whose?, I went with who has, due to the nature of this discussion. I think it should be who's.)

And you'd be right, because who's is a contraction for 'who has,' whereas 'whose' is a possessive.

Andria

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
image.jpg

Reactions: Rossum

Ketsuban

Feb 20, 2014
Equestria
I've called it a vape, e-cig, mod... just whatever feels natural at the time. Box - with the unregulated yep I had and my new Smok XCube II... (I think that's going to be my box of choice for every possible reason lol) but it does irritate the heck out of me when my coworker is using an eLeaf with a tank and she keeps talking about how much "smoke" she's getting out of it. *shakes head* nothing's combusting! nothing's smoking! except when I'm half asleep priming a wick and I don't put enough juice on it so the cotton catches fire. lol

Devn

Nov 12, 2015
I've called it a vape, e-cig, mod... just whatever feels natural at the time. Box - with the unregulated yep I had and my new Smok XCube II... (I think that's going to be my box of choice for every possible reason lol) but it does irritate the heck out of me when my coworker is using an eLeaf with a tank and she keeps talking about how much "smoke" she's getting out of it. *shakes head* nothing's combusting! nothing's smoking! except when I'm half asleep priming a wick and I don't put enough juice on it so the cotton catches fire. lol
Yep. The names we give new things are always changing. I see no issues calling something a vape (noun) when vape (verb) is relatively new anyway.
My wife says "smoking" all the time when she vapes. i got used to it. :)

Reactions: Ketsuban
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread