Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
The same thing happened in my country with the word "text" except it went the other way around, from noun to verb. It takes to long to say message or SMS.

That happened here too, but I still don't buy it. I say "send a text" (which is still shorthand for "text msg")... just as I say "had an impact" not "impacted."

Andria

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
Then of course, there are the overused words that many people have to include in almost every sentence........

- literally (never mind of course that it is normally used incorrectly)
- super (I guess this has replaced the word "very")
- ton
- forever
- like (apparantly, this has replaced the words "said" and "thought". You know, I was like blah blah blah, and then he was like blah blah blah, and then I was like........)

;)

Reactions: AndriaD

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
:mad:

Vape is etymologically a verb. The use of "vape" as a noun by English 101 repeaters has convinced definition websites to submit to this usage.

If you do this, I genuinely hope you step on a lego.

ETA: I have seen it's use as a noun in the form of "Let's go for a vape." This is reasonable. But the device itself is not a vape.
Just stepped on a lego, need mah vape;) Sorry, couldn't resist. I do not use vape, but I use mod as a noun. Is that the same since it can used as a verb?
Hey, you're preaching to the guy who just itches to tell off anyone who says "ohms" instead of "resistance". When they want their friend to drive faster, do they say, "Brah, you need to up your MPH"?

I've used vape as a noun more than once, but with two little kids I have lots of lego stepping-on in my future anyway.
I am guilty of using Ohm(s) instead of resistance. Also, since I subohm (here's another one that's probably on ya'lls list of dislikes) I always say Ohm. So, "I built this rda to .35 Ohm". Should I say "I built this rda to a resistance of .35"?

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
So if it is an Advanced Personal Vaporizer, can I call it a vaporizer?
I feel weird using the term vaporizer when talking to people. The first question I always get when I use this term is -
Them: "is that the "other stuff" in there"?
Me: "No, big guy, it is nicotine ejuice"

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Then of course, there are the overused words that many people have to include in almost every sentence........

- literally (never mind of course that it is normally used incorrectly)
- super (I guess this has replaced the word "very")
- ton
- forever
- like (apparantly, this has replaced the words "said" and "thought". You know, I was like blah blah blah, and then he was like blah blah blah, and then I was like........)

;)

I'm with ya, the "like" one drives me, like, literally, around the bend. :lol: ;)

The one that makes me the craziest has got to be "impact" -- for which we have to thank the Weather Channel; I think they were the first to say things like "see how this weather system will impact your area." If it's not a meteor, or some really big hail, it's not going to impact anything... but it might HAVE AN IMPACT. :facepalm: This causes as much yelling at the TV in my house as the stupid Nicorette and Chantix commercials.

Andria

Reactions: LMS62

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Calling it a Vape is better'n puffer, as my relatives call it!o_O
Puffer reminds me of Mr Deeds:
Babe, what are you staying here for?
I have a spare bedroom.