Knight v2 dismantle

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul0001

Oct 30, 2014
Australia
Hello, not sure if this is the right place to post but I have a Smoant Knight V2 that is doing some weird things. The fire button seems to have lost its click (can't remember if it really ever had one), anyway, am planning to dismantle and see if there is an obvious problem that I can fix. There are two screws in the battery chamber which when removed, allow the plastic insert to be only slightly moved. I am not keen on forcing this insert any more than I have in concern of breaking something. I originally thought the area surrounding the 510 plug might unscrew or similar but this seems very firm. I have looked around the net but haven't been able to find anything. Any help appreciated.

paul0001

Oct 30, 2014
Australia
Hello, not sure if this is the right place to post but I have a Smoant Knight V2 that is doing some weird things. The fire button seems to have lost its click (can't remember if it really ever had one), anyway, am planning to dismantle and see if there is an obvious problem that I can fix. There are two screws in the battery chamber which when removed, allow the plastic insert to be only slightly moved. I am not keen on forcing this insert any more than I have in concern of breaking something. I originally thought the area surrounding the 510 plug might unscrew or similar but this seems very firm. I have looked around the net but haven't been able to find anything. Any help appreciated.

Reactions: stols001

paul0001

Oct 30, 2014
Australia
Ok, took the plunge and pried out the plastic insert, nothing to lose. For anyone that's interested -
Only undo the top screw in battery chamber.
Make sure spring behind floating battery terminal doesn't get airborne.
Remove 4 screws on switch circuit board.
Removed cover to fire button switch using loupe and a pin. Take out little shiny metallic disk, slot in plastic on side of disc (loupe) to lever out with pin.
Cleaned what I am hoping was gunk from inside disc and disc terminals.
Reassemble.
Found what looks like a small plastic table tennis paddle loose inside the mod, don't know where it belongs and have left it out. Hopefully something left over from manufacturing.
Not sure how gunk would have found its way inside this switch, it seems reasonable sealed.
Have reinstalled extended Goblin mini and all good so far. Clickety click.

paul0001

Oct 30, 2014
Australia
Glad you got it back together.
Somewhere in this long thread:
listing side by side mods
I remember someone took a V1 apart, thought there were photos, but I couldn't find them.
Noticed FT still has black V2s available. Might pick up another, before they're gone.
The V1 had a drop in the top battery similar to Pico, the V2 has a magnetic side panel. Not a bad unit, stealthy and some glass protection. Too late for mine but last time I looked no silicon covers were available from FT, air adjusters on my Goblin Mini scrape paint off the inside as well (could be filed .5mm I suppose) and without the extension you need to unscrew the tank to get the top off for a refill. Overall 4mls and a small unit, I like it.

paul0001

Oct 30, 2014
Australia
Ok, took the plunge and pried out the plastic insert, nothing to lose. For anyone that's interested -
Only undo the top screw in battery chamber.
Make sure spring behind floating battery terminal doesn't get airborne.
Remove 4 screws on switch circuit board.
Removed cover to fire button switch using loupe and a pin. Take out little shiny metallic disk, slot in plastic on side of disc (loupe) to lever out with pin.
Cleaned what I am hoping was gunk from inside disc and disc terminals.
Reassemble.
Found what looks like a small plastic table tennis paddle loose inside the mod, don't know where it belongs and have left it out. Hopefully something left over from manufacturing.
Not sure how gunk would have found its way inside this switch, it seems reasonable sealed.
Have reinstalled extended Goblin mini and all good so far. Clickety click.

paul0001

Oct 30, 2014
Australia
Update. You do need to undo both screws in the plastic chamber and the small paddle shaped piece goes above the spring for the top floating battery contact.
The unit has been fine since last post but is now doing the same things. Might have to pull the main button apart again and clean but this time might see if I can get a bit of silicon around it. Might also try getting some more silicon under the "spring loaded" 510 connection.

JPoodles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
West Boylston, MA
I recently switched to hohm life batteries to use in my smoant knight v2. Unfortunately, the mods firmware isn't reading the battery correctly. The mod will tell me that the battery is drained and, when I go to charge it, the charging cradle tells me the cell is still 45% charged. I'm not sure if the cell capacity that's programmed into the mod is lower than my cell's actual capacity or if it's a glitch. The hohm batteries are supposed to have greater than average mah but then again I understand nothing about firmware. I'm stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread