Lactic acidosis and respiration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

Apr 25, 2009
Gainesville, FL
If anybody has experienced an increased respiratory rate after using PG, a mild lactic acidosis may be the cause. As has been noted several times on this forum, PG absorption, ingestion etc.. may cause lactic acidosis. Essentially, this means the pH of blood is lowered. The bodies natural compensatory mechanism to control this is respiratory rate. CO2 regulation during respiration is responsible for controlling blood pH. CO2 concentration is inversely proportional to blood pH. In order to raise the pH of the blood, respiration reflexively increases, blowing off CO2 thereby making blood more pH basic.

It is very difficult to measure your own respiratory rate. It may be noticeable after vaping PG for an extended period of time then laying down to go to sleep. It could arguable also be responsible for other complaints of anxiety like symptoms. I think this will likely be a minor side effect as related to long term health but may be a reasonable hypothesis regarding respiratory rate changes. It can also be easily measured using arterial blood gases.

ISAWHIM

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
www.isawhim.com
That would explain the "Nightmares"... (Dreams + anxiety)

That would also explain the "Tiredness"... (Abundance of CO2)

A similar effect can be reproduced taking melatonin, a natural sleep agent. (Anti-oxidant)

Hmmm... so does this turn our blood into soda-pop? Mmmmm, vampires like carbonated plasma!

So is that the short-term effect from the initial switching-over from cigs to vape, or is that a constant effect, which would be classified as a potential long-term effect?

I can't imagine that the body would not adapt, after some sort of healing phase. Once the lungs regain healthy surface-area, with the ability for adequate exchange of gasses.

I have not noticed an increase in hiccups, also normally associated with CO2 excess, due to the diaphragm having an inability to pull enough fresh air into the lungs, or, for those who smoke a lot at once, also known as smokers hiccups. Commonly cured by burping, or holding a long deep breath, pressurizing gas, forcing a good gas exchange. (I do get hiccups on occasion when I take melatonin.)

Last edited:

Doc

Apr 25, 2009
Gainesville, FL
It is a transient effect. Lasting minutes to hours. Will likely always happen if the bodies non respiratory pH buffers cannot keep up with the amount one vapes. If the acidosis is mild there would be little long term effect. A constant severe acidosis however could effect renal and hepatic function. Other symptoms would likely appear before this happened. All speculation.

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
I was in the hospital for several days at a time when I first started vaping wearing a heart monitor all the time. They took blood all the time and no one found anything unusual with my breathing or heart rate, resportory rate or anything in my blood that was related to the use of pg.

I used my e-cig when I wanted too. All doctors were well aware I used the e-cig and it has pg in it.

I have never had any of the side effects that some people describe on the forum. I did have some withdrawal from nicotine on occasion, was not using a high mg nic cart.

Doc

Apr 25, 2009
Gainesville, FL
I was in the hospital for several days at a time when I first started vaping wearing a heart monitor all the time. They took blood all the time and no one found anything unusual with my breathing or heart rate, resportory rate or anything in my blood that was related to the use of pg.

I used my e-cig when I wanted too. All doctors were well aware I used the e-cig and it has pg in it.

I have never had any of the side effects that some people describe on the forum. I did have some withdrawal from nicotine on occasion, was not using a high mg nic cart.

Did you use it in the hospital?! If so....AWESOME!!! You must have had very progressive Docs. I like it! Regardless of my stretch concerning PG and respiratory rate, I believe it is safe. Glad to hear you are out...

PS: did they do any arterial blood gases while you were using? They would have drawn it from the palm side if your wrist (radial artery usually).

Last edited:

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
I have experienced quite the opposite: I am breathing a lot slower and deeper... (mind you, I was on the verge of COPD when I started vaping, so that could distort the picture of course). I did have a period of worse cramping (esp. the legs) then before (also solved meanwhile) - that I account to PG - but respiration only went better and better, never worse or more shallow (and I vape a LOT)

Tallgirl1974

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2009
Loganville, Ga
I have not noticed an increase in hiccups, also normally associated with CO2 excess, due to the diaphragm having an inability to pull enough fresh air into the lungs, or, for those who smoke a lot at once, also known as smokers hiccups. Commonly cured by burping, or holding a long deep breath, pressurizing gas, forcing a good gas exchange. (I do get hiccups on occasion when I take melatonin.)

Hiccups are also caused by nicotine- which makes this harder to identify! I always got the hiccups with a smoke, the nic gum, and occasionally with my PV. (side effect listed on all nicotine items is hiccups!)
I really wish someone somewhere would dump some money or pull some strings to get us some hard info about PVs. I think a lot of people will be willing to deal with some side effects anyway- considering what we were willing to deal with puffing away on known carcinogens- I just wish we had science behind us.

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
I was in the hospital the day I recived my first e-cig and then I was in the hospital 5 more times by January 4, 2009. They have took blood artieral blood at least three times. I was in the Debakky Heart Center in Houston, TX for by pass surgery.

I fried my family doctor. He refused to believe I was having heart failer till I was at deaths door. Then sent me to Houston, Can't have me die on his hands. If you smoke you have COPD and that is that in his book.

Had to quit smoking to get him to do something . If one doctor tell the other doctors you have somthing, you have it wheather you have it or not. They don't like to change your medication either.

I have found that doctors are excited about the e-cig, they know how hard it is to quit, because of all the failers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread