• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Ladies, do you have pets? Or do pets have you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catmom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2011
Blue Ridge Heaven
Honestly, I've thought about this, but I don't think my cats would cooperate ;)

original.jpg

Lisa66

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the warm welcome! Who else here is a farmer? The cows, for the most part, stay outside. I did almost
bring a horse in one day, but my husband came home at the most inopportune time.

Welcome, Kay! I'm not a farmer myself but grew up visiting many of my older relatives' farms in.....Indiana! Some raised angus beef, some raised chickens/turkeys, some raised peanuts (that one was in Oklahoma) and my grandparents had a small farm with many animals and some crops. Most of those farms are gone now as it was the older generation but I do still have a second cousin that raises sheep and crops. I miss it!

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
I am new here as well and have a small farm. Any chickens?

Nope...I thought about having a few chickens before me moved up here. Hubby's dad had a couple of roosters over at one of the barns. DARN! Them's some MEAN critters!! So decided having chickens wasen't worth the hassle. Thanks again for the warm welcome...Should I change my avatar to an animal maybe??

randi.shinney

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2010
Ogden, UT
That's funny. I heard the roosters were mean. Our chicks are way too friendly! They love to be around us all the time. I made sure to handle them a lot then they were chicks so they were used to it! We are thinking about getting a rooster this year and I'm hoping the same will work for him.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Serianna

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2012
San Diego
Yeah, roosters can be serious trouble. We only keep hens, mostly because they work best for show, but also because we get the byproduct of mostly low cost eggs (when you finally make up for the purchase price of the show hens!)

And yeah, as Randi said as long as you handle them daily as chicks, by the time you move them outdoors you have lovable little cuddle birds clucking at you and following you around like a puppy.

Heck the black one that my son is hugging (in the post cute stuffs thread) was one to follow me around and rub her head on my leg like a cat would! And she would look up at me with this expression on her face when I didn't pick her up afterwards... Made me HAVE to pick her up!

Chickens are such silly little peoples...

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
I've raised a few lamb in my day. I had one that I called Cola because I was bottle feeding him with a cola bottle and nipple...I'd let him into the kitchen while I warmed put his milk in the micro..it was cute to hear the pitter-patter of his hooves on the floor. One day I was warming his milk, and when I turned back around that little scutter had somehow managed to get up in one of the kitchen chairs!! (they swivle and roll) And stood there and baaaaed at me like..."hurry up already, I'm ready for my Supper!" lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread