Land of the thousands of lakes - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

marviner

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
First thread kinda expired, so this is part 2... :)

Anyway.

"Funniest person in the world"-competition was held few days ago in U.S of A. There were thousands of participants all around the world - and I mean thousands - and guess who won?

Ismo Leikola from Finland :)

Here's the video, fast forward to 17:00 minutes and see his performance:

Well I dunno if he's actually THE funniest person in the world - that's debatable - but he's quite funny anyway. Nevertheless people all around the world voted for him, so .... great! :)

marviner

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Un Poco más de la cultura finlandesa :)

Finnish sauna. Contains nudity (Rated PG10 or something :)

Girl (Laura) is a Finnish lady, and she speaks pretty much perfect Spanish. And that remainds me...

Almost everybody in Finland speaks English (at least at some level). Many, many people here speaks multiple languages - for example one my friends speaks six different languages fluently (Finnish, Swedish, English, German, French and Russian) and he also speaks some Spanish and Italian. I speak Finnish and English - and also cope somewhat with Spanish and Swedish.

marviner

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
:)

Well, there are actually much more people (let's say) in the New York city alone than people here in Finland, so we kinda have to learn many languages to get along with everyone else in this planet. That is to say that the skills that one obtains usually has something to do with the prevailing conditions, so in general we tend to learn things which are useful for us.

For me it might be a good idea to learn a new language - for you it might be good idea to learn something else. It all depends :)

But yes, we should be proud whoever we are, or wherever we're from. It drives you forward in life :)

Last edited:

marviner

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
One of my favorite Finnish folk music bands is this - it's called Värttinä (Spindle in english).

This song is called "Emoton" which is old Finnish word, meaning "Motherless". Don't worry if the word's are total gibberish to you, because I don't understand some of those words either. Quite a few of those words are many, many hundreds of years old, and only professional linguistic experts would recognize and understand the etymology of them. Some of those singers are from south-east part of finland called Karelia, where ancient tradition and culture is alive even today - so obviously they know what they are singing about:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread