LDPE bottle for nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
Hi all. I have a dilemma. I want to decant my nicotine from the 250ml HDPE bottle that my nic came in, into a 50ml fluorinated bottle with a thin nozzle and childproof cap, so that I can pour the nic directly into my mixes and then screw the childproof cap back on.

However, it seems that HDPE bottles don't have childproof caps that go over nozzles (it's either the CPC or the nozzle but not both together) like on LDPE bottles. At least, not at the place I want to buy from in the UK called iBottles. I don't want to use glass as I'd be worried about it falling and smashing, and even if I did, I would still need to draw up the nic from the bottle with a pipette or syringe like I currently do, and I just want to pour straight from the bottle. I don't think LDPE or PET are good/safe enough for nicotine? So any advice for me would be appreciated. Thanks.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
How long are you anticipating the 250mL to last you? Figuring out your best storage options will be different depending on whether 250mL is a 1 month, 6 month, or 1 year supply. Anything 6 months or less, I personally would not be too worried about using LDPE, and say that would be good enough if it provides the safety/security you require, providing you are able to keep it at cool to cold (less than 20C(?)) conditions and away from sunlight.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Gotcha. It sounds like your nic is holding up just fine. I am not sure what else I can tell you without knowing more about your anticipated/expected use.

Thing that are harmful to nicotine are heat, light (UV), and air (oxygen). Anything you can do to minimize exposure to these will aid in extending the life of the nicotine. Choosing bottles and storage method/locations that best avoid those influences are going to be your best choices.

Here are a couple of general thoughts:
  • All plastic is permeable to oxygen. Some more so than others. Glass is always best but plastics can be OK for shorter storage intervals.
  • Several smaller bottles are often better than fewer larger ones. Larger bottles will need to be opened more often and leave more headspace (the empty space above the liquid). Both of which increase potential exposure to air. More, smaller, bottles allow more of the total product to remain undisturbed until it is actually ready to be used.
  • Cooler storage temperatures slow the molecular movement and therefore slow interaction (oxidation) with any available free oxygen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread