Less rewicking????

Status
Not open for further replies.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I'm new to squonking, vaping 1 year.. Got a Smokeless Owl and Hobo 3, a few weeks ago. Kayfun on a Kicked Mech before that. I am running the Owl with a 29awg 1.93ohm coil. I am also running a Kick set to approx 11 watts, (no way to measure), This is the same coil and setting I use in my Kayfun.

Why do my wicks and coil last longer?????????

Before the Bottom feeder I was lucky to get 24hours, before my coil gunked over and wick choked with crud. Now... I'm on the 4th day running same piece of cotton ball. Yeah it's black as sin right at the coil, but only juice colored in the well. Now I know some of the crud is being pulled down into the juice bottle, than obvious.

Is the squonk process washing the coil/wick?

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I think alot of it has to do with chamber size.The chamber in an rda is quite a bit larger than the chamber in a kayfun.I have a couple 14mm rda's that will gunk up fast like that,and they are a similar sized chamber to the kayfun,but the same juice and type of wick/coil combo in my derringer will go over a week.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Part of your dirty liquid problem is because of the feed/drain pin in the Hobo... Because the pin is not flush with the bottom of the atty and not all of the liquid squonked will drain out and gets cooked when you are firing the atty. Then when you squonk again, some or all of the cooked liquid returns back to the bottle after you have squonked the next time. If you had an atty that fed/drained completely you wouldn't get any dirty return back into the bottle...

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Part of your dirty liquid problem is because of the feed/drain pin in the Hobo... Because the pin is not flush with the bottom of the atty and not all of the liquid squonked will drain out and gets cooked when you are firing the atty. Then when you squonk again, some or all of the cooked liquid returns back to the bottle after you have squonked the next time. If you had an atty that fed/drained completely you wouldn't get any dirty return back into the bottle...

Acvtually the taller pin help keep more dirt in the atty. As it drain LESS back into the bottle. Seems the more juice that drains from the atty, the more dirt you get in the bottle, This is logical. I don't have issue with that.. Or even an issue. My deal, is that going to the BF'er has REDUCED my issues with dirt coils and wicks.

I was just wondering if others noticed the same thing......

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I'm leaning towards the idea, that the cotton lasts longer because you are keeping your wick wet more consistently (if you're used to sqounking already) less dry hits would mean a longer lasting wick.

IDK about that... I get many more dry-ish hits from the squonker and Dripper than I ever had from my Kayfuns. Unless I was hitting a dry tank Or ran a contact coil.

The wick does get wetter, when squonked. My belief is, it is the FLUSHING action of squonking that is cleaning the wick than any thing else.

DoubleDZA

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
IDK about that... I get many more dry-ish hits from the squonker and Dripper than I ever had from my Kayfuns. Unless I was hitting a dry tank Or ran a contact coil.

The wick does get wetter, when squonked. My belief is, it is the FLUSHING action of squonking that is cleaning the wick than any thing else.

For me, Ive been sqounking for sometime now and have it down to 'second nature', so dry hits are a thing of the past, I maintain my wicks per sqounk which seems to be keeping my wick in top condition. I could'nt say that whilst I was using tanks.
Either way, its an interesting question.

Libbydude

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
Idaho

So, spaced or contact in the bf atty?

Libbydude

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2012
Idaho
I prefer spaced coils in all attys, I have.. Protank, Protank 3, Kayfuns, Steam Turbine, Sat22, X1 Rda and the Hobo3.
For me contact coils, just result in burned wicks and dry hits and weak flavo and faster gunkingr. So I don't Build them.
I agree that contact coils are higher maintenence.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I agree that contact coils are higher maintenence.

There are EASIER to maintain and build though.. IF I vaped different type of juice, NON Tobacco NON NET. They might work much better for me. But, I have yet to find a non-tobacco vape I like or that doesn't leave me wanting a smoke. I have made quite a few twisted contact coils that made amazing flavor.
If I didn't have to rewick then 2-3 times a day I use them more. BUT, that was in Kayfuns.. On the Squonker I have only tried 1 contact coil so far, got like 8 hours out of it. Only had it less than a month, and with not rewicking as much there hasn't been the need to build many different coils. I haven't started playing with build on it yet, as much as narrowing in on the ADV build. You know that go to coil, you know Will Not require the cap to be removed for 12-24hours.

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
I use organic cotton for my wicks. I build dual coils using a 2mm coil, 7 wraps, at 0.5 ohms. Contact coils. The wick lasts about 24ml of juice. Maybe 18ml if I'm vaping a juice that gunks up coils faster. It only takes a minute to pull the old wick out, dry burn, rinse, dry burn and rewick. So I've never been concerned.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Has to do with airflow. You're getting a considerable amount of airlfow on a hobo vs a kayfun. More air over the coils means less time for juice to sit there and cook.

The chamber is bigger therefore more air in the coil area at one time. But, I run the AFC shut down to as close to the same draw, I use for the Kayfun. Heck the coil is even the same Heat flux although made from different wire and OHM. Wattage is sameish also. I would think that means the flow is pretty darn close.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
It still plays a huge part.

BUT if it was the airflow doing the cleaning.. The Kayfun would be cleaner. High velocity airflow at higher pressures, mainly due to the smaller chamber and coil placement. Only the volume of air, is for sure, more on the Hobo. Considering I run it with the air going though a <2mm hole. I could be wrong but I always thought a drier cooler coil was more prone to gunking.

itskohler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2014
Aventura, FL
You're right that direct airflow over the coils would make sense, but the ambient air around it has a lot to do with it. Because of the smaller chamber, it gets hotter quicker. This ambient heat causes the sugars in the juice to begin pyrolysis sooner than in an open, airy cap of the Hobo.

Reactions: 93gc40

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Sounds, good to me.

Regardless the reason. The coil in the squonker, lasts 2-3 days vs the 1 day if i'm lucky in the Kayfun......

Now I just have to find a way to get the Hobo to Taste as good as the Kayfun. We shall see, have some 28awg and 32awg wire coming soon. So I can build a couple lower than 1.5ohm coils, to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread