Not open for further replies.

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I hope I'm posting in the right place

I've seen a lot of news about mods exploding, injuries etc. and every time this happens we here at the forums discuss what happened and

but the reality is that we always start talking about b&m irresponsibility, but maybe we are wrong there...

I think mod makers, even clones should come with a warning and information about battery safety and ohms law etc. and I think us, the vapers should come up with that warning and then us asking all modmakers to print it and include it on their product. how hard could it be? it's definitely easier than to educate every b&m employee.

just my two cents

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
2288903-1.jpg

like......... shouldn't there be something more on that label?

Reactions: haleysdadda

Ongeslepen

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Amsterdamaged
Lol, you americans.. Cute folk :p

what was that shortcut again?
RTFM! (Read the *censored* manual)

I heard over here that some Lady put her dog in the microwave to dry her dog and the surprisingly dog died.. she sued the company, because it did not state in the manual that you couldn't put a living creature in the microwave...

Just like the Russians.. I was in finland once and i noticed that there was a manual for the sauna in Russian text only... so i went to the guy and asked what was that about, he said the Russian's needed it. If it wasn't written what you could or could not do.. They would do it... All other tourists were fine.. like don't pee in the sauna and don't get wasted, common sense :)

I'm not for warnings, i'm for manuals.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
2288903-1.jpg

like......... shouldn't there be something more on that label?
If this battery was made for commercial distribution there would be a warning
on the label or warning info on the packaging.
When sold in bulk there probably is a product data sheet with the appropriate
warnings shipped with the product. These bulk shipments are for equipment
manufacturers. When sold individually in retail they should be individually
wrapped with the proper warning labels attached as with any other battery
sold to the general public. When i see batteries of this type in the B&M's
they are always loose and unwrapped. They should be wrapped with warnings
at the retail level or at least have a product warning sheet openly and conspicuously
displayed.
:2c:
regards
mike

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
When i see batteries of this type in the B&M's
they are always loose and unwrapped. They should be wrapped with warnings
at the retail level or at least have a product warning sheet openly and conspicuously
displayed.

:2c:
regards
mike

^^^

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
But who's gonna read the warning/manual/label to me?

coppertop_aa_productpage.png

1315400-2.jpg

The outward appearance of lithium batteries is important.

The ordinary commonplace Duracell 'coppertop' battery has a distinctive colour pattern, with the POSITIVE end copper, and the NEGATIVE end black.

It's quite obvious with the Duracell batteries to see which end is which, and one is so much less likely to insert the batteries the wrong way.
This kind of outward appearance is much more important for lithium batteries.

I've started painting the negative end of my batteries with a black marker for that reason.

Flame_big.jpg

Expoint_big.jpg

Explbomb_big.jpg

SkullxCB_big.jpg

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/HazComm_QuickCard_Pictogram.html
There are standard hazard label symbols.
https://www.osha.gov/Publications/HazComm_QuickCard_Labels.html

Last edited:
Reactions: haleysdadda

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Soon we'll be hollering for warning labels on steak knives - lest someone grabs them by the blade...

Is dem lawyers making money by depriving peeps of their common sense - is it chance or divine intervention that I watched 'Idiocracy' on YT recently ;) ?

But playin it dumb could be the smart thing to do when there's $$$ to be had from a lawsuit...

In line with CYA - a warning a day keeps the lawyers away ;)

Reactions: schatz

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Sorry folks but 'Idiot Proof' is not possible. Idiots are very creative. They will figure out how to misuse a product and find a 'Law Fly' that will sue, no matter what.
The really sad part is there is a 'Judge and Jury' of Idiots that will give the fools Money.

h0CC9DEF8

John Stossel's program talking to John Banzhaf, a law professor at George Washington University.

Banzhaf responded, "Isn't the industry partially responsible, if they misrepresent, fail to warn? People every year fall off stepladders, and get injured. And if there isn't a very clear and conspicuous warning, the stepladder people are liable for their fair share."

There are 40 warnings on a stepladder, but I don't think that makes us safer. In fact, ladders are a good example of how lawyers like Banzhaf have made warning labels meaningless. There are so many labels on so many things that we don't read labels we should read. Like the warning label on microwave popcorn that tells you you could burn yourself when you open the bag. Or the label on some antibiotics that says it won't work if you take it with milk. We ought to read those, but when there's so much information, who reads any of it?

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
If manufacturers want to put warnings on their product, I have no problem with that. Even if those warning ONLY apply to people that are using the item as designed . BUT, GOVERNMENT should have ZERO to do with this.

The warning itself is an admission of liability and will add cost to the item. The item will get more expensive.. Add Gorvnment regulation to the equation and those increases to cost go up exponentially.

Be careful what you ask for. You might just end up with that $20 Clone costing $100, don't even want to guess the price of authentic mods.

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
Every vape website that I go to clearly has a disclaimer along the lines of 'this is an advanced product... use at your own risk' and some even have a small warning about knowing the limits of your batteries.

Now... I've bought a lot of mods from local vendors. iStick 50w, Sigeli 150w, Sigeli 150wTC, Panzer clone, Smok M80+... All of those can easily be considered "Advanced" as far as the potential goes. NOT ONCE has a shop employee ever told me "just so you know, make sure you're building between X and X ohms on this device". Now, maybe they could read my skill level a lot better than I thought, but I bought the iStick 50w only 3 weeks after I started. I knew nothing about the power available in that device. (but I researched it heavily) The Panzer clone I bought only 2 months (along with 2 purple efest batteries for my .3 Ohm build) after the iStick and the shop associate never mentioned a possibility of serious bodily harm if the mod/RDA/battery was misused.

I do A LOT of research before I buy something. I was looking into vaping months before I started, and even if I decide against it, it is knowledge that I gained, so it was not a loss. I fear that most of these people that have been injured see some Fresh Skater (;)) from SoCal with a sexy sponsorship, and an even sexier hat and want to be as cool as them, but have no idea of the danger involved.

TL;DR Version 2.0 beta: If the fabricators of the mods want to put a warning label on their device, they can. I don't want the government forcing them to do so. Otherwise, it is up to the person selling it to have some common sense and NEVER assume the skill level of a vaper.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I hope I'm posting in the right place

I've seen a lot of news about mods exploding, injuries etc. and every time this happens we here at the forums discuss what happened and

but the reality is that we always start talking about b&m irresponsibility, but maybe we are wrong there...

I think mod makers, even clones should come with a warning and information about battery safety and ohms law etc. and I think us, the vapers should come up with that warning and then us asking all modmakers to print it and include it on their product. how hard could it be? it's definitely easier than to educate every b&m employee.

just my two cents

What scoony said was right about the batteries was right. When it comes to the 18650 batteries, to my knowledge there are no 18650 batteries that are marketed for the general public. These batteries are for OEM's, and it is up to the OEM to put the warning labels on the devices. If you try calling sony and asking them, they won't give any info out.. because they're not supposed to. As an example, these batteries are designed to go into laptop battery packs as "cells", and those have their warning labels on, and circuitry to make it safer.

Which brings me to the MOD maker's.. to my knowledge, every regulated mod I've owned comes with a manual, and has a warning in that manual about battery safety. It may be simple, but there is a warning that if followed, will be safe. Something like "use only high drain batteries rated 20A or above"... Something simple like that prevents fires. So, mod makers already do offer warnings, but the users usually disregard the manuals.

Now, for mech mods... These things are the culprits of most of the battery explosions. all my mech mods have come with minimal instructions or warnings if any. These things are designed for people who are knowledgeable about battery safety and know about ohms law. They are essentially an OEM of mods. It's up to the user to decide what is safe and what is not. For safety sake, It would be a good idea to slip a little warning slip in with each mechanical mod they sell with basic warnings. Whether or not the user throws that away, that's up to them. But I have seen where a shop sells a mechanical mod and an RDA to someone, and before they walk out the door, they ask where the plug tot he 18650 is as he's looking for a charging port all over the battery. You tell me if the shop owner isn't responsible.... I'm not saying for them not to sell it to them, but many people buy it not knowing that what they're getting is dangerous.

So, I don't believe in putting warning labels on the mods, but a simple warning is all that's needed. As far as the batteries and mech mods go, a simple warning like: Warning, improper use could lead to explosion or fire... chances are, it will be discarded. But that's where darwin's law comes into play. AT least it informs them that there is some danger.

Pearl B

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
N.Az
I'm starting to think the warning label system is creating more problems than it solves.
Obviously if there's no warning label, it can't be dangerous, can it?

When I was a kid, warning labels didn't exist. At least I don't remember seeing any.
It encouraged people to find out the proper way to use whatever it was they were using.

Maybe instead of more warning labels they could put a symbol of some sort on a driver's license or I.D. card that signifies the bearer is intelligent enough to do whatever it is they are doing without needing warning labels.
Then when attempting to make purchases, the shop owner can with reasonable certainty sell certain items to certain people, and we will all hopefully be the safer for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread