Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Achilles rda...first impression.

Like Pop, I got my Achilles from Frog in Fog Achilles Atomizer Clone / Titanium RDA / Achilles RBA made by Yeahsmo. Comes with the atomizer and a little bag of goodies including spare o-rings, a little screwdriver, an allen wrench for the AFC screw, a little wick and wire.

I built a basic 1.5 ohm micro coil. With regard to the basic vape qualities (flavor, throat hit, vapor), the Achilles is on par with the other direct-to-coil airflow drippers I own (Veritas and Plume Veil). I sense little difference in these categories. Flavor is exceptional on all these direct-to-coil airflow drippers. Here are the other comparisons of the Achilles with my current favorite (the Veritas):

1) The Achilles has a larger capacity. I haven't measured it yet but it is significantly greater than the Veritas (which is no slouch either).
2) Like the Veritas, the Achilles does not leak.
3) The Achilles is a simpler design than the Veritas. Simple, easy access build deck. But truthfully, the Veritas is not the challenge that some think it is.
4) The Achilles has a screw together design. The Veritas is a press fit (over o-rings) design. I can't say one is better than the other. I just feel more confident with the screw design on the Achilles but there isn't any substantive reason why.
5) The Achilles is made of titanium and as a result is much lighter. I like it!
6) The Achilles is much taller than the Veritas. I don't like that.
7) The Achilles has a variable air flow screw on the bottom. But your choice is tight and tighter. Make no mistake, the draw on the Achilles is tight and that is with the AFC screw removed. If you require a lot of air do not get an Achilles. You will be disappointed. I like a tight draw so it does not bother me. The Veritas has adjustable air flow as well (just twist the chamber) and offers much more airflow than the Achilles. It ranges from no air to lots of air and all points between.
8) The Veritas is better suited for dual coil builds. The Achilles really is designed for single coil only. The air hole is so small that dual coils would overwhelm it.

Summary. I believe I will like the Achilles more than the Veritas for two reasons. One, it has a larger juice capacity. Two, it is lighter. The only thing I lose with the Achilles is that it is significantly taller than the Veritas. I like smaller profiles but additional juice capacity is the tradeoff. Overall, I prefer the Achilles by a small margin for those reasons. But that is MY OPINION only! I have to warn you again...if you like lots of airflow, the Achilles is NOT for you. The Veritas is much better suited for people who like lots of airflow. Also, if you like dual coils, the Veritas is a much better option as well. If you're a single coil, tight draw, leak-hating vaper then consider the Achilles. I am and I know I will enjoy this dripper.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
Good write up there Bronze. The Achilles sounds perfect for me, except for the air flow part. I use two air holes open on the Derringer. Something tells me the Achilles might be like using one air hole, out of 3 possible, from the Derringer. I would not be happy with that. I don't plan to buy a regular rda anymore anyway. But if it could be bottom fed, that would get my attention. The Manta v2 is the one I am looking at, in the future. Catfish Atty Mods has them.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Good write up there Bronze. The Achilles sounds perfect for me, except for the air flow part. I use two air holes open on the Derringer. Something tells me the Achilles might be like using one air hole, out of 3 possible, from the Derringer. I would not be happy with that. I don't plan to buy a regular rda anymore anyway. But if it could be bottom fed, that would get my attention. The Manta v2 is the one I am looking at, in the future. Catfish Atty Mods has them.
If you desire lots of air then the Achilles is not for you. The max airflow is tight...like a cigarette draw. You'd like the Veritas though. Chowderhead was making those for BF at one time. I don't know anymore. Pop would know.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
I don't need LOTS of air. I guess that is subjective. On the Quasar though, I do have it almost completely wide open. You can barely see I have it closed off a little. I could be wrong about what I consider lots of air. I think too, it depends on your build. I like 1.1-1.3 ohms, so that may have something to do with it. I had to tweak the Rogue, because it was so hot to me, in dual coil. The air was fine, but the flavor was never there...it wasn't bad, just not really good.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
I'm really thinking about a new RDA, but there are so many options its mind boggling. My mephisto is way too airy and just doesn't carry the flavor (the most important part for me) and the tobh carries the flavor but when the airholes are lined up with the coil (as it should be) the cotton is over one or two of the holes so tends to leak when I get it hot. My favorite flavor believe it or not comes out of a tiny little guy, some cheapo smok one we paid like $4 for to flavor test my diy, but it is literally drip every hit as it has no well for the juice to sit in.

I'm feeling a bit frustrated overall, have "vapers tongue" every other day it seems. I can still taste the stuff but its just not as strong flavored as it feels like it should be. I think I need to experiment with some new flavors that are very different from my usual, make a change of pace. It may not be the rdas at all, but the fact I'm usually using similar note juices.
Jolly Ranchers and plenty of bottled spring water..As much as you can reasonably drink,... at least 3 bottles a day. A bit more if ya can. You'll be cured in a day or two..Ya might not want Jolly Ranchers for awhile though after keeping one in your mouth all day while not vaping..Works for me every time. :p

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
If you desire lots of air then the Achilles is not for you. The max airflow is tight...like a cigarette draw. You'd like the Veritas though. Chowderhead was making those for BF at one time. I don't know anymore. Pop would know.
The General a Tootle Puffer?!? :shock:
Lmao :lol:

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
Arizona
Glad you like it Bronze.

The tight draw is why I don't spout off too much about it. KK... The single airhole on the sub tank is WAY more air than the Achilles with the screw out. I keep mine in.

Why are you using a microcoil with all that space?? It is my favorite for my 20 million wrap nickel builds. I do 17 wraps of twisted 32. It fits nicely and puts me at 0.22 which works like a dream in TP mode.

Again, nice to see it getting some nice reviews by some of my favorite peeps :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Y'all got me thinking about new gear, dammit!!! Can't afford any right now. :(
Then don't buy any Chak. Discipline Grasshopper! I hadn't bought gear since last November until I picked up that $25 Achilles this month.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
Then don't buy any Chak. Discipline Grasshopper! I hadn't bought gear since last November until I picked up that $25 Achilles this month.
Vape Gear Demon..stand behind me!

I'm on the Reo site as we speak! bwahaha

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Ommmmm.... one is better off without such material items... Ommmmmm.......

Did y'all know that $30 will buy food for two or three days here. (depending where you buy your food)

@Chakris it's a dripper. It will still be there when and if you want it later.

Go build some benches for your wife... That should keep your mind off it for a while :)
April, seats (3 large flower pots turned upside down) were purchased and strategically place along the path round the garden. They make the perfect resting place and match many of the flower pots already in the garden.

Thanks for helping keep my head out of the clouds guys... :)

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
...Lead us not into temptation... Amen ;)
Yeah I walked pretty fast through that Mod valley and closed the Reo site...I don't need it yet,...I don't need it,,...I don't,...well when I get settled in I'll just go ahead and order it and be done with it. :p

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Yeah I walked pretty fast through that Mod valley and closed the Reo site...I don't need it yet,...I don't need it,,...I don't,...well when I get settled in I'll just go ahead and order it and be done with it. :p

Go back and look at the Woodvil that go on sale 5:00 EDT tomorrow evening....

Reactions: Sirius

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
Go back and look at the Woodvil that go on sale 5:00 EDT tomorrow evening....
I already did Papaw....Oh man what I wouldn't give to be able to buy one! It's just not within my reach just now..I could but,..Idk it would push it with the deposit on the new place and some fishing gear I have need of. It sucks sometimes to be on a fixed income,..well all the time really..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread