Letting It Sit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spades57

Apr 2, 2016
Id like to start by saying I love my vape. Its a Joyetech eVic with an two iSub tanks and the eGo One Mega tank that came with the eVic. My problem is that I might go a week without vaping and sometimes more. I was never a smoker and just enjoy the flavor. Does anyone have any advice regarding making the atomizers last on my tank? I'm forgetful and have the unfortunate tendency to leave my vape sitting with juice in the tank. A week sitting like that screws my atomizers right up. Suggestions? I try to vape till their dry but would like to know if there is any other solution. Thank you! :blush:

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Letting it sit with juice in it may actually be better for the coils since they won't get dry that way. You just need to keep an eye out for it seeping through the wick and the juice getting into the base below the coil. I gave my isub-g to my brother and he's like you, let's it sit for days on end without really using it. Never had any issues except for a little juice getting into the base part that you screw off to get to the coil. Otherwise don't worry about it. :)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
E Liquid is primarily alcohol based. So, growth of germs is often not a big concern. However, conditions play a huge part in microbe growth in any e liquid's longevity. An understanding of the effects of heat, exposure to air particles and light exposure is to be understood in order to promote juice longevity.
Suggest looking into a *deep well RDA (Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer) such as the Magma or The Stumpy. These can be cleaned after use at a minimum of juice/wick loss and lessen the chance of bacterial growth.
Might like to read:
2015: The Art of the Drip - A Dripping Primer - Spinfuel The Art of Vaping
What is Sub Ohm Vaping? Our Sub Ohm Vaping Guide & Tips
ECF Sub-Ohm Advisory
* Could google "deep well RDA".

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I have some tanks with juice in them that has been sitting for about a year. Some are still just fine and some juices doesn't age well. The oldest one was over a year and that one didn't taste very good. So I dumped that one and cleaned the tank. Although I think I am going to make a rule for myself if it sits more than a month or two, dump and clean.

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
The cloud just doesn't seem right and the taste seems a bit off. I appreciate ya'll commenting by the way. Thanks!
As juice is exposed to air and is agitated (steeps), it changes. The flavor kind of morphs, as the components blend together. So yes, the taste will be "off," when compared to juice that is fresh out of the bottle (FOOB). If the juice is on the sweet side, as it gets heated, the sugars caramelize. This builds up on the coil - something referred to as "gunking up the coil." (Actually, pretty much all juice eventually will produce a residue that hunks up the coil). A gunky coil produces a burnt flavor, and reduces vapor (cloud) production. I'm guessing that either or both of these things is happening.

Some ideas: First, be sure your new coil is primed. Second, gradually increase power to the coil to break it in. Third, know what wattage works best for your coil, and don't exceed it - that can easily burn the coil. Fourth, vape more often :).

Limply Red

Apr 2, 2016
I have some tanks with juice in them that has been sitting for about a year. Some are still just fine and some juices doesn't age well. The oldest one was over a year and that one didn't taste very good. So I dumped that one and cleaned the tank. Although I think I am going to make a rule for myself if it sits more than a month or two, dump and clean.

Wow, I have around six tanks on the go and often one or two might be left untouched for a week or so, they are usually fine but a year! Good Lord, that is desertion, Bill. Are they still in a liquid state?

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Wow, I have around six tanks on the go and often one or two might be left untouched for a week or so, they are usually fine but a year! Good Lord, that is desertion, Bill. Are they still in a liquid state?

G3sgR2r.jpg

Numbered from left to right is 1 through 7. Numbers 1, 3, and 5 are ones I use all of the time. So they are fresh. 2 is MBV Apfelstrudel (over a year old), 4 is VapeJoose Hollywood Blackout (over a year old), 5 is VapeJoose Orange Dream (over a year old), and 7 Sweet-Vapes Starbuckets Cappuccino (only 3 months old).

I am not going to lie to you. The ones that are over a year old does not taste like they did when I filled them. Maybe something like 70% what they originally did. I believe the nicotine has broken down some and some flavorings also doesn't age too well.

And that VapeJoose Orange Dream is a different story and turned really bad in the last few months and it was just too bad to vape. I also had a bottle of it in the room here and that bottle was just as bad as the tank. So I got rid of both of them and cleaned the tank. I still have three 120ml bottles of it still in my vape frig (a tad fresher, born last May). It still looks good, I guess I should try some of it, eh? ... I just cracked the cap open and it smells ok... dripped some in my RDA... oh... peppery... so the nicotine has broken down. So I got to get rid of that stuff too.

Well spring is here. Maybe this is a good time to clean the rest of those older tanks, eh? I rebuilt those coils a few months ago, so those should be still fine.

Limply Red

Apr 2, 2016
G3sgR2r.jpg

Numbered from left to right is 1 through 7. Numbers 1, 3, and 5 are ones I use all of the time. So they are fresh. 2 is MBV Apfelstrudel (over a year old), 4 is VapeJoose Hollywood Blackout (over a year old), 5 is VapeJoose Orange Dream (over a year old), and 7 Sweet-Vapes Starbuckets Cappuccino (only 3 months old).

I am not going to lie to you. The ones that are over a year old does not taste like they did when I filled them. Maybe something like 70% what they originally did. I believe the nicotine has broken down some and some flavorings also doesn't age too well.

And that VapeJoose Orange Dream is a different story and turned really bad in the last few months and it was just too bad to vape. I also had a bottle of it in the room here and that bottle was just as bad as the tank. So I got rid of both of them and cleaned the tank. I still have three 120ml bottles of it still in my vape frig (a tad fresher, born last May). It still looks good, I guess I should try some of it, eh? ... I just cracked the cap open and it smells ok... dripped some in my RDA... oh... peppery... so the nicotine has broken down. So I got to get rid of that stuff too.

Well spring is here. Maybe this is a good time to clean the rest of those older tanks, eh? I rebuilt those coils a few months ago, so those should be still fine.

Hello, Bill. That is so good of you to detail things, your lineup makes a great photo. I did think about the nic after I posted here, I imagine it would degrade a lot but it is easily fixed. Sour liquid is sadly unsavable isn't it. Good to meet you.

Reactions: BillW50

Limply Red

Apr 2, 2016
Oh #6 is the VapeJoose Orange Dream, sorry.

No apologies necessary, it gives me a chance to ask something. I have never had nicotine go off as such, but I did have some that change colour to pink but other than that was fine.
The peppery taste, I have tasted something like that a few times when I bought tailor made juice and wonder now if that pepper taste is a 'known' thing that happens to old nic? (Ha, not 'Old Nick' although he can turn up the heat)

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
It is a pleasure to know you Limply Red. Yes juice changing color isn't unusual (some do and some don't). I don't think pure VG or PG changes color (it might I just don't know). Nicotine is said to last only about 6 months and that is it and it turns darker and darker brown. Flavorings is something else since they are all different. While PG, VG, and nicotine doesn't have a problem in the frig or freezer, not true of all flavorings. Some go bad in one or another or both. So if you try a frig or freezer, test with a small amount first.

Reactions: Limply Red

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Now I'm no chemist, nor am I a manufacturer of 'eliquid' , so please explain to me what juice your getting that is alcohol based. Never seen it myself.
I am not BrotherBob, but I too heard that a lot of food flavorings are alcohol based. Some of the juices I buy from Sweet-Vapes also carry a warning that some flavors are alcohol based too. It hasn't been a problem for me. Just shake the bottle and open it for a few hours and most of the alcohol evaporates away.

Reactions: mudmanc4

mudmanc4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
In The Plex
kb.lime-it.us
I am not BrotherBob, but I too heard that a lot of food flavorings are alcohol based. Some of the juices I buy from Sweet-Vapes also carry a warning that some flavors are alcohol based too. It hasn't been a problem for me. Just shake the bottle and open it for a few hours and most of the alcohol evaporates away.
I'm sure there are extraction methods which require the use of alcohol, however to claim eliquids are 'based' on alcohol, from everything I know and understand, if by far close to the reality of it all.

mudmanc4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
In The Plex
kb.lime-it.us
Yes well mudmanc4... if someone was claiming all juices contain alcohol, well I won't go that far. In my experience it is only in a small percentage of juices. And the alcohol isn't enough to worry about for intoxication or anything. But the worst part is the harsh throat hit.
We experimented with brandy and a few other such diversions quite some time ago, the result = not so much lol

flambo

Feb 24, 2016
Rayonia
The cloud just doesn't seem right and the taste seems a bit off. I appreciate ya'll commenting by the way. Thanks!
I used to run one tank & dip into the other if a coil died out & about.

The juice was a pre-mix & got worse & worse.

Humidity can affect juice already in a tank

I'm using a dripper on TC most of the time now-
and rayon wick-
and change flavours more at home.
(really fast flavour change on rayon)

After tomorrow I'll be carrying my second Stumpy as a spare coil/ big flavour change.

Probably an idea to store a mod/atty combo upside down- to minimise leakage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread