LG HB Series Batteries -- Which is the best performer? (Round Two)

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    This is an update of an earlier shootout I did between these batteries. The HB4 and HB6 now come in a different wrap color so they were all retested. Here are the three in this shootout:
    • HB2 green
    • HB4 mustard
    • HB6 pink
    These three batteries all have the same ratings from the manufacturer, 30A and 1500mAh, so I decided to do a shootout to see if there was a clear winner between them. Continuous current discharges were done at 10A, 20A, 30A, and 40A down to 2.8V. Pulsed current discharges were done at 30A and 50A (5 secs on/30 secs off) down to 2.5V. All three were pretty close in performance but there were some differences that can be noted

Bottom Line
    The results are close but the HB4 is the overall winner. The HB6 trails by a little but is still a very good battery and runs the coolest. The HB2 did well but faded a bit before the other two. Other than the HB4's longer run time the results are close enough that you probably won't see a difference between any of them when vaping.

Continuous Current Tests
    image.png

• The HB4 started at a higher voltage and ran for longer than the other two.
    • At above 10A though the HB4 dropped to a lower voltage than the other two in the middle of the discharge.
    • There was only a 4°C max temperature difference between any of the batteries.

Pulse Current Tests
    image.png image.png

• The HB4 runs at a slightly higher voltage during the entire discharge.
    • The HB4 ran just a touch longer than the other two.
    • The HB2 ran at a slightly lower voltage and for a slightly shorter time than the other two.
    • While the HB6's voltage and run time performance was in the middle of the three its temperature was a few degrees lower than the other two.

2. Rockwell222

Rockwell222 Super Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Thanks again for all your hard work. Now it's time to pick up some HB4's. I have a decent amount of HB2's and I do like them but you can always use more batteries lol.

3. Derek Cross

Derek Cross Full Member

May 16, 2015
    Thanks @Mooch! This answers all my questions from earlier. I just never got an alert telling me that you posted this as I do with your other posts. So I felt like my regular build was hitting a tad bit harder w/my hb4's than w/my hb6's. This is what prompted me to inquire and now im also remembering you rated the 4's at 1600mah as well. Man you made my day w/this one. Im picking up 10 more hb4's...

How long do 18650's stay good if stored a 3.6v? Meaning if i wanted to grab some now b4 theyre sold out. These are the better 30amp cells for sure!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.