This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

LG HB4 "Mustard" 30A 1500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a great 30A battery, better than brown HB4

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, Apr 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    These cells were purchased by me for testing using donations made for that purpose. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The statements, conclusions, and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

A note regarding current ratings and my testing
    If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max discharging current" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This mustard-colored version of the HB4 is a great 30A continuous, 1600mAh battery that outperforms the brown HB4 in voltage and capacity. It exceeds the VTC4's starting pulse voltage and equals the Aspire 1800's voltage. The mustard HB4 can be pulsed at up to about 50A before its voltage gets uselessly low.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.png

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    These tests are done to show the performance of the cell at higher pulsed current levels. If you are running your mod at these levels be aware that you risk overheating, and possibly venting of, the battery if there is a malfunction or accidental pressing of your mechanical mod's button.
    image.png image.png

Comparison between the brown HB4 and the mustard HB4
    image.png

Comments
    • At 10A continuous it reached over 1450mAh. This is too high for a 1500mAh-rated cell operating at 10A so I am rating this cell at 1600mAh.
    • At 15A continuous the temperature rose to 59°C. This is significantly below the average temperature for a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR).
    • At 20A continuous the temperature rose to 66°C. This is still a lot below the average temperature for a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 25A continuous the temperature rose to 77°C. This is just below the average temperature for a cell operating at its CDR, indicating that we're discharging near the cell's rating.
    • At 30A continuous the temperature rose to 83°C. This is at the upper limit for the average temperature for a cell operating at its CDR and is a typical temperature for an LG cell at its CDR.
    • At 35A continuous the temperature rose to 96°C. This is way to high a temperature to set this current level as the CDR. It is just below my safety limit of 100°C.
    • I am setting a CDR of 30A for this cell since at this current level the operating temperature is at the upper limit for a cell operating at its CDR and is typical for a LG cell at its CDR. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current level causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from this cell at 30A continuous.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.
    To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18350 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum
    26650 Safety Grades and Pulse Performance Data | E-Cigarette Forum

sonicbomb, Woofer, MikeyConti and 5 others like this.
  2. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Back to the real tests. :)
    A real pleasure with this one, a nice surprise!

3. B2L

B2L Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    That seals it, thanks for all you do Mooch!

I just got 10 HB6s, i guess one cant have too many batteries, I'll have to pick some up :)

Mooch likes this.
  4. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Hold off on that purchase for a couple of days. :)

B2L likes this.
  5. Strontium

Strontium Unresolved Status ECF Veteran

Mar 8, 2012
    Hurricane State
    What is that upper temperature limit for this battery in official LG datasheet?

6. sig-cmt

sig-cmt Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2015
    HoustΩn, TX
    This is a great review on an equally great battery.

Mooch likes this.
  7. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    LG typically specs 75°C as the upper limit for the discharge operating temperature.

8. B2L

Supporting member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    I missed this until it was too late, they're ordered already. Any particular reason?

9. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    I'm testing the updated pink HB6 right now and didn't know if it might be better than the mustard HB4. If it is though, it will be by only a little bit.

MikeyConti and B2L like this.
  10. B2L

Supporting member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mustard is more manly anyway ;-)

Appreciate it Mooch, if there is a measurable difference I'll probably order some pinks as well.

MikeyConti and Mooch like this.
  11. KenD

KenD Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Kinda wants me get a device/build that requires those amps...

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Mooch likes this.
  12. sig-cmt

sig-cmt Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2015
    HoustΩn, TX
    Awesome. Anticipating this one...

Mooch likes this.
  13. sig-cmt

sig-cmt Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2015
    HoustΩn, TX
    The mustard HB4 has a cover cap which extends further past the cylinder than that of the brown HB4. This presents a problem when used with certain single tube mechanicals which expect the positive to be oriented towards the bottom. Essentially, the O-ring or adjustable Delrin standoff of the switch does not provide adequate distance between the contact and the cell. One workaround is to increase the number of positive insulators in an attempt to shim the gap before rewrapping the battery.

hb4_vs_hb4_0.jpg

hb4_vs_hb4_1.jpg

MikeyConti, B2L and Mooch like this.
  14. VapieDan

VapieDan Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I am slightly off topic but seeing a figure of 75 degree Celsius at a maximum operating temperature I am curious if there is a maximum temperature for safe storage. Could it be the same number?

15. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    As with anything to do with batteries, it all depends. :)
    Most manufacturers specify 60°C as the max storage temperature. This is lower than the maximum recommended operating temperature because the battery spends much, much more time at the max storage tempeature than it does at the max operating temperature. This is mostly to ensure that the battery doesn't age too quickly as the higher the temperature, the faster the battery ages and reaches the end of its life.

For safety I recommend staying under 75°C for storage. A battery typically won't vent until it gets above 130°C, up to about 160°C, so 100°C will give you a bit of a safety margin. The battey will very quickly deteriorate at that temperature though.

For long battery life, stay below 45°C for both storage and when using li-ion batteries.

VapieDan and B2L like this.
  16. VapieDan

VapieDan Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thanks so much!

Mooch likes this.
  17. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    Mustard is London slang denoting something that is good.
    "It was mustard..."
    This battery qualifies. Cheers Monsignor Moochio.

MikeyConti, Mooch and B2L like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.