LG HD2 25A 2000mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...too hot at 25A, but OK 20A cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 10A-30A constant current. Cells were purchased from Orbtronic and donated for testing.

Dropbox - lg hd2 25a 2000mah 18650 wrap.jpeg

Dropbox - lg hd2 25a 2000mah 18650 can.jpeg

Dropbox - lg hd2 25a 2000mah 18650 top.jpeg

Dropbox - lg hd2 25a 2000mah 18650 bottom.jpeg

Disclaimer
    Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have selected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

Bottom Line
    Rated for 25A continuous discharge current (CDR) but runs too hot at that level. It's a 20A cell.

Test Results
    Dropbox - lg hd2 25a 2000mah 18650 constant-current tests.bmp

Comments
    • At 10A the HD2 almost reached its rating of 2000mAh. This is good performance.
    • Maximum temperature reached 75°C at 20A. This is the same as the Samsung 25R.
    • Temperature rose to 91°C at its CDR of 25A. That's too hot for good cycle life.
    • Five additional cycles at 25A showed essentially no loss in capacity but the voltage sag increased with each discharge, indicating that the cell might be getting damaged. A 10A discharge done after this showed no loss in capacity but had a greater voltage sag than the first 10A discharge.
    • The HD2, to 3.2V at 20A, has about 15% less capacity than the Samsung 25R.
    • While operating any cell near its rated maximum current causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from the HD2 at 20A. I would not expect very good cycle life if using it at 25A.
    • A discharge at 30A brought the cell temperature to 96°C and dropped the voltage considerably. That's too hot and will significantly speed up the damage done to the cell. This is a 20A cell.
    • See my blog for more information on the testing procedures, equipment used, and links to all my test results.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread