LG HG2 20A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Retest Results...a great 20A battery!

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, Nov 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Tested at 10A-25A constant current and 30A-60A pulsed. These cells were purchased by me and used only for testing thanks to the incredible donations many of you made. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The statements, conclusions, and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have elected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

A note regarding current ratings and my testing
    If the cell has only one current rating on it then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuous. Otherwise they would have listed the current rating with two numbers as other companies have done. Or they would have labeled the rating on the wrap as "pulse" or "burst". Battery buyers should not have to hunt down what the number on the wrap means. I will be testing cells at the rating listed on the wrap and pointing out when they fail to meet that listed rating.

Bottom Line
    In my opinion, this is a great performing 20A continuous discharge current (CDR) cell. Its capacity at 20A, down to 3.2V, is 13% greater than the Samsung 25R2 or 25R5. It does run several degrees-C hotter than either 25R though.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.jpg

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    These tests are done to show the performance of the cell at higher pulsed current levels. If you are running your mod at these levels be aware that you risk overheating, and possibly venting, the battery if there is a malfunction or accidental pressing of your mechanical mod's button.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Comments

• At 10A it reached about 2750mAh. This is average performance for a 3000mAh-rated cell at 10A.
    • At 15A the maximum temperature reached 70°C. This is below the average temperature of a cell operating at its CDR.
    • At 20A the maximum temperature reached 83°C. This is above the average for a cell operating at its CDR but just within the range of acceptable values. The capacity was 13% higher than a Samsung 25R at 20A.
    • At 25A the temperature rose to 99°C. This is too high for a cell operating at its CDR and is just a degree below my safety limit of 100°C.
    • Two more 20A discharges showed that no additional damage was being done to the cell at this discharge current level.
    • Two more 25A discharges showed that no additional damage was being done to the cell at this discharge current level.
    • I am setting a CDR of 20A for this cell. Its temperature is high but acceptable and the voltage is good, indicating that it's not being discharged at beyond its rating. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current causes damage to the cell, I would expect good cycle life from this cell at 20A.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 30A-60A, 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

m1ke, SLIPPY_EEL, Elwin and 24 others like this.
  2. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Retested to get the pulsed discharge data. A great battery!

Katya, KGB7 and puffon like this.
  3. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    They are great, in fact I just bought some more.

How do you test how much damage is done to the cell?

SLIPPY_EEL likes this.
  4. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    By looking at the follow-on discharge curves. If there was any damage you would see a sag in the voltage under load (indicating increased internal resistance) and/or a decrease in capacity.

[edit] or an increase in operating temperature, but that's always accompanied by other symptoms of damage.

5. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    Got it.
    Looking at the graphs it's amazing just how quickly cells drop off from 4.2v to 3.8/8v, it's almost not worth charging them beyond that point.

Mooch likes this.
  6. mstave

mstave Full Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Baltimore, MD
    Completely appreciate the information, thank you for doing this testing!

Mooch likes this.
  7. cimon

cimon Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 6, 2015
    UK
    Beyond these graphs (I simply dont get it) - whats best (and safe) V cut off for them?

8. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Anything over 3.0V will be fine. On paper, they can last longer if you only go down to voltages higher than that but I don't know if we can see that difference in actual use. In my opinion, even if there is a difference, I rather have the longest vaping time before recharging vs. having a battery last a bit longer before needing to be replaced.

Batteries are dirt cheap for what they do and I rather enjoy the extra vaping time every day vs saving a bit of money once a year. But, that's just my personal opinion... :)

9. cimon

cimon Senior Member ECF Veteran

Aug 6, 2015
    UK
    Hmm. Ive heard that recomended cut off value for HG2 is more like 2.5-2.6V. I dont really think that we can even get close to max. mAh keeping it on 3+ Volts.

10. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    It all depends on your priorities. If max cycle life is the most important then a higher cutoff is recommended. If longest running time is the most important then a lower cutoff is recommended. A higher cutoff is safer too as you reduce the every day aging of the cell, slowing the internal resistance increase and capacity loss due to this aging.

The LG's have a 2.5V rated cutoff voltage to achieve good cycle life. But there's not much capacity left in a cell once it's dropped below 3V or so. You can bring it down to 2.5V but you won't get much more vaping time and you'll notice a big drop in your vaping power in a mech and a regulated mod will just turn off.

There's no set number or threshold. It's all just a gradual series of changes, advantages, and disadvantages as you go down in voltage. Around 3.0V is a good compromise, perhaps even 2.8V, but you certainly can go lower if you want the maximum run time before recharging.

11. petrotech

petrotech Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 9, 2015
    indiana
    Mooch is the man! :)

Maybe one of these days I'll stop buying AW, and get something else. Lol.

Mooch likes this.
  12. MorpheusPA

MorpheusPA Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I love these tests! I'm going to guess that, for people like me who vape at low wattage, excellent durability at high drain also translates into excellent durability at low drain. If battery life differs a bit, I'm not too concerned.

Let's put it this way. If I'm draining 2.0 A, that's on the high end. My norm is around 1.6 A, 5.5 watt or below. I'm also a tootle puffer with the vape almost surgically attached to my face and can drain a 3,000 mAh battery in six hours.

I have 3 Samsung 30Q and 3 LG HG2. Both brands perform the same, last the same amount of time, and act the same (although sometimes I feel that the LG's performance is just a tiny bit better).

SLIPPY_EEL, dangaranga and Mooch like this.
  13. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    There's a chance that the NCR18650GA could last a bit longer than the HG2/30Q at that low a current level. By how much, I do not know.

MorpheusPA likes this.
  14. MorpheusPA

MorpheusPA Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Thanks, Mooch! Although it's probably a year (at minimum) before I need batteries again, at which point the entire game will change once more. This seems to be moving at light speed.

Mooch likes this.
  15. muzichead

muzichead Resident Knucklehead Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 7, 2011
    Illinois
    Decided not to post...

16. DropDeadArtemus

DropDeadArtemus New Member

Jan 28, 2015
    Grenada, MS, USA
    Would you recommend these in a snow wolf 200w running a crown tank with the .15ohm Ni200 coils? If not, what are your recommendations for said setup?

17. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Up to 130W or so, no problems. Chain vaping or over 130W, VTC4's or HB6.

KenD likes this.
  18. DropDeadArtemus

DropDeadArtemus New Member

Jan 28, 2015
    Grenada, MS, USA
    Thanks. Seeing as the snow wolf doesn't go over 75W in TC mode, I'm well under the 130W limit.

Mooch likes this.
  19. KGB7

KGB7 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2014
    Rockville, MD
    Mooch, Thank you for what you are doing.

Ive been using Samys 25R(blue wrapper) for a year and they have done a great job but, they have aged and are no longer able hold the charge as good as when they were 10 month old.

A week ago i bought LG batteries that you have tested in this thread, and i am for ever thankful for your review, because of you, i love LG batteries even more than Samys 25Rs.

One big difference that i have noticed, is that it takes almost 40min longer to charge the LG batteries on a Nitecore D2 charger at 500mah. Im guessing its do to extra 500mah capacity in a LG HG2 batteries.

Ones again, Thank you and keep up the good work.

Mooch likes this.
  20. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Thanks!
    Yea, that's the price we have to pay for longer vaping time. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.