Link nicotine and hair loss ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

judyra

Jan 3, 2010
Florida
Everyone seems to be getting a chuckle over this topic, but I'm not laughing. I quit analogs 8 months ago. In my quest to find an e-liquid with the same flavor and throat hit as my analogs, I took some advice and ordered a liquid with the highest nicotine level available, 36mg. I feel foolish saying this, but I never gave the high level a thought. Just kept vaping all day and night. Well, 8 months later, I have lost about 70% of my hair and it is still falling out. I have had blood tests and scalp scrapings and the doctors can find nothing wrong except for the high level of toxin (nicotine) that I'm inhaling. Seems that the nicotine in such high quantities behaves the same as the toxins in chemotherapy.

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
Has is helped to cut your nicotine levels? It seems that there are many reasons for hair loss. Did you have it when you smoked?
I was wondering if you take blood pressure meds?
A friend of mine quit analogs the day she had a subarachnoid hemorrhage. Afterwards, as her hair grew out, she didn't have hair loss anymore, but she had been put on Lisonapril(sp) and when she had that changed because of other side effects, her hair started falling out just like before the stroke. Just food for thought.

Everyone seems to be getting a chuckle over this topic, but I'm not laughing. I quit analogs 8 months ago. In my quest to find an e-liquid with the same flavor and throat hit as my analogs, I took some advice and ordered a liquid with the highest nicotine level available, 36mg. I feel foolish saying this, but I never gave the high level a thought. Just kept vaping all day and night. Well, 8 months later, I have lost about 70% of my hair and it is still falling out. I have had blood tests and scalp scrapings and the doctors can find nothing wrong except for the high level of toxin (nicotine) that I'm inhaling. Seems that the nicotine in such high quantities behaves the same as the toxins in chemotherapy.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas

Have your doctor check your thyroid levels, TSH T4 and reverse T3, and your antibody levels. This happened to me as well but I wasn't vaping at the time, I quit cold turkey. Smoking stimulates and/or damages the thyroid so quitting will cause hidden problems to appear. I started with the hair loss and by the time they finally caught the problem (my TSH levels didn't drop for quite awhile and I didn't know to have any of the other tests.) not only had I lost 80% of my hair but I was exhausted, constantly cold, had gained 40 pounds, and was sleeping 14 hours a day. :p

judyra

Jan 3, 2010
Florida
Believe me, I have had everything checked. My blood lab work was over $2,500. They checked everything. Thyroid was fine, everything was fine. Of course I did immediately switch to the lowest nicotine level I could find...6mg...and about 3 to 4 weeks later, hair shedding slowed up a great deal. I'm still losing a bit more than I would like to see, but there is a huge improvement and it continues to improve. I didn't want to think that it was the e-liquid either. I mean, I feel like this stuff is a life-saver in the sense that I no longer smoke analogs...but...I just wanted everyone to know that there seems to be a definite link between high levels of nicotine and hair loss. The problem with using the real low nicotine level liquids is that you never seem to feel satisfied and just want to vape more:(. Oh well.

Sorry folks who blame nicotine, but my Great Uncle smoked and lived to be 100! He had all of his hair and very little gray when he passed.

Now as for vaping, hair and fingernails are very similar. I have thick hair and very long and strong fingernails that both grow very fast and I vape all of the time, and sorry but nothing's changed on my end. I wish, as I would save money at my hair salon. :laugh:

If I didn't vape, I'd be pulling my hair OUT and going after people with my fingernails like Wolverine!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

kpax

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
US
Yes, I have seen nictone blamed for hair loss. Is mentioned a lot on quitting boards from people using nicorette gum.

AskAPatient.com asks Nicorette nicotine gum users to fill out a form rating their Nicorette use satisfaction, why they were using it, the side effects experienced and any additional comments. All submissions are then displayed in summary fashion. This lady is not alone. Nearly a third of responding long-term Nicorette users expressed hair loss concerns......

Long-term Nicorette gum users losing hair and teeth

To cut a long story short, genetica and hormones are the key factors (plus stress). However, 'anti-dandruff' shampoos do help a bit (whether you have dandruff or not). Partly zinc absorption and partly mould/yeast infection reduction. This is the simplest and cheapest aid though there are others that can mitigate somewhat what is ultimately out of our control (for otherwise healthy individuals - probably males - with normal hormone levels / balances).

Last edited:

Jadc

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2011
London UK
Everyone react's differently to things so just leave it there to be honest.... I accept that I maybe loosing my hair but I too suffer from hair loss and it's mostly every day. I have had the blood tests .. thyroid checks and they all come back clean... I will admit how much I love vaping I believe the nicotine intake is causing some of it...I smoke 20mg but I soon to cut it down to 15mg and slowly further down and see if that makes any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread